Random Rumours

Although we defintely need improvements, I'd rather not panic sign some useless players again. I'd much prefer we loan someone, if we can get anyone decent, that way it's only 6 months if it doesn't work out, and if it does, we can look at buying them.

Piatek seems to be available. Not sure what's gone wrong at Milan for him, but he was highly rated last season, so a 6 month loan with an option to buy if he does well could be a good deal. Could send Batshayui the other way perhaps.

39 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Lo Celso replaces Eriksen. Signed permanently today, for £35m, which is a great bit of business.

I haven't been overly impressed with Lo Celso this season. Certainly I don't think he stands up to Eriksen at his best.

29 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I haven't been overly impressed with Lo Celso this season. Certainly I don't think he stands up to Eriksen at his best.

Lo Celso is getting better. It's a case of adapting. He's got serious potential in my opinion but I agree, Eriksen has been a top player for Tottenham but we mustn't forget he needed time to adapt too.

I keep reading people mentioning how they're prepared to stay put and wait for the summer because there's no value to be had in January, the transfer fees quoted are overly inflated, because clubs know we're a bit desperate, no point in signing new players just for the sake of signing, etc etc and I happen to agree with most of it.

But the way I see it, each and every club's strategy and actions should be judged based on their needs, capabilities and circumstances they operate under. Liverpool and Man City, for example, don't have to sign anybody urgently, they're well stacked as it is, and can wait till summer to conduct their business. We aren't. On top of losing our best player and not being able to sign new players in the summer, we're still suffering from terrible transfer business of the last few years, where we spent a fortune on misfits, quite a few of them are so poor, they're currently out on loan because we have no use for them in the squad.

What happened to our scouting, by the way? When was the last time we've uncovered a relatively unknown player for a modest fee who became an integral part of the team? Who was the genius who decided that wasting £300m on a collection of Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Kepa, Morata, Batshuayi, Barkley, Emerson and Giroud was a good strategy? Who scouted Michy and didn't notice that he is sh*t at everything except shooting from inside the box? Or that Drinkwater is a midtable level footballer? Who dug up Zappacosta in the dying hours of summer of 2017, the same window when City bought Walker, Mendy and Danilo? Who is the expert who felt Bakayoko is worth 40m and is the player we should go after at Monaco when he was literally the least technically  gifted player on that team? Who thought it was the risk worth taking to splash the world record fee for a goalkeeper on you-know-who? 

I know there are no guarantees but don't you think we've had way too many misses in the recent years than we did hits? Our shocking transfer business in the last three years or so is bigger reason for our current struggles than the transfer ban or even loss of Hazard. The board repeatedly failed to back the managers and by extension failed the supporters.

I'm positive there are players out there that can upgrade our team and they can be had, and they're not necessarily the names we keep reading on the internet. Whether it's doable with the current team running the show, I'm not so sure. I'm sure Marina is a tough negotiator when it comes to fees and contracts but she isn't the one identifying and scouting potential targets, or at least I hope she isn't. I'm still holdIng out hope that they can get somebody in but if they fail to get Frank some help by the time Saturday comes, I'll be very disappointed, but not surprised.

Edited by abramovich

7 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I keep reading people mentioning how they're prepared to stay put and wait for the summer because there's no value to be had in January, overly transfer fees because clubs know we're a bit desperate, no point in signing new players just for the sake of signing, etc and I happen to agree with most of it.

But the way I see it, each and every club's strategy and actions should be judged based on their needs, capabilities and circumstances they operate under. Liverpool and Man City, for example, don't have to sign anybody urgently, they're well stacked as it is, and can wait till summer to conduct their business. We aren't. On top of losing our best player and not being able to sign new players in the summer, we're still suffering from terrible transfer business of the last few years, where we spent a fortune on misdits, quite a few of them are so poor, they're currently out on loan because we have no use for them in the squad.

What happened to our scouting, by the way? When was the last time we've uncovered a relatively unknown player for a modest fee who became an integral part of the team? Who was the genius who decided that wasting £300m on a collection of Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Zappacosta, Kepa, Morata, Batshuayi, Barkley, Emerson and Giroud was a good strategy? Who scouted Michy and didn't notice that he is sh*t at everything except shooting from inside the box? Or that Drinkwater is a midtable level footballer? Who dug up Zappacosta in the dying hours of summer of 2017, the same window when City bought Walker, Mendy and Danilo? Who is the expert who felt Bakayoko is worth 40m and is the player we should go after at Monaco when he was literally the least technically  gifted player on that team? Who thought it was the risk worth taking to splash the world record fee for a goalkeeper on you-know-who? 

I know there are no guarantees but don't you think we've had way too many misses in the recent years than we did hits? Our shocking transfer business in the last three years or so is bigger reason for our current struggles than the transfer ban or even loss of Hazard. The board repeatedly failed to back the managers and by extension failed the supporters.

I'm positive there are players out there that can upgrade our team and they can be had, and they're not necessarily the names we keep reading on the internet. Whether it's doable with the current team running the show, I'm not so sure. I'm sure Marina is a tough negotiator when it comes to fees and contracts but she isn't the one identifying and scouting potential targets, at least I hope she isn't. I'm still holdIng out hope that they can get somebody in but if they fail to get Frank some help by the time Saturday comes, I'll be very disappointed, but not surprised.

Had a quick look back to reasonable signings, Fabregas in 2014, Willian in 2013, Oscar in 2012 there are not many.

The only one that stands out for me is Azpi in 2012 for £7m as a good signing.

The others we either paid the market rate (Fab and Willian £30m+) or bought poorly.

Marco Van Ginkel might have been one except for injury.

Yeah I agree. Probably from 2015 onwards, our transfers has been quite poor. The summer of Morata, Baka and Drinkwater stands out as particularly poor. 

Although at the time, I didn’t hear too many fans complain about Mortata...but it’s just unfortunate that it didn’t work out. 

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

I keep reading people mentioning how they're prepared to stay put and wait for the summer because there's no value to be had in January, the transfer fees quoted are overly inflated, because clubs know we're a bit desperate, no point in signing new players just for the sake of signing, etc etc and I happen to agree with most of it.

But the way I see it, each and every club's strategy and actions should be judged based on their needs, capabilities and circumstances they operate under. Liverpool and Man City, for example, don't have to sign anybody urgently, they're well stacked as it is, and can wait till summer to conduct their business. We aren't. On top of losing our best player and not being able to sign new players in the summer, we're still suffering from terrible transfer business of the last few years, where we spent a fortune on misfits, quite a few of them are so poor, they're currently out on loan because we have no use for them in the squad.

I'm positive there are players out there that can upgrade our team and they can be had, and they're not necessarily the names we keep reading on the internet. Whether it's doable with the current team running the show, I'm not so sure. I'm sure Marina is a tough negotiator when it comes to fees and contracts but she isn't the one identifying and scouting potential targets, or at least I hope she isn't. I'm still holdIng out hope that they can get somebody in but if they fail to get Frank some help by the time Saturday comes, I'll be very disappointed, but not surprised.

I hope the club have learned from those transfer windows 

6 hours ago, big blue said:

Anelka = Werner 

Could play wide off Abraham 

Gudjohnson = Jovic

Could play behind Abraham instead of mount

Neither are available now though unfortunately.

Have watched quite a bit of both and I wouldn't agree with those characterisations.

Position wise maybe but neither have the all round game of Anelka or Eidur which is what I would be more interested in!

I agree that we shouldn't assume that it will be any easier in the summer. While some clubs may be more willing to let their assets leave for the right price in the off season, we are likely to be competing with a lot more  the big teams in that window. If we really want to get a player like Timo Werner for example, we should try to secure him in this window and agree a deal where he stays there for the rest of this season (like Pulisic).

Most constructive and sensible post I've read for ages, echoes everything i've wanted to say,  but CBA to right an essay, well done you

It will be interesting (not that we’ll ever really know) to see how the club treat and judge Frank’s work if we don’t sign anyone in January. I’m sure before the start of the season that the club would have accepted 4th place and CL group qualification at the end of January. 

Failure to bring in quality replacements will unfortunately damage Frank’s work and may jeopardise our league position. Then again, Frank May well be saying to them not being anyone if they are not of the right profile or quality. 

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Have watched quite a bit of both and I wouldn't agree with those characterisations.

Position wise maybe but neither have the all round game of Anelka or Eidur which is what I would be more interested in!

Both young enough to grow though. How rounded a player was anelka when he was jumping between fenebache, city and bolton? 

Gudjohnson's game changed massively from when we signed him, until when we won the league. 

How many players under 24 have the complete package? 

edit re werner. He has changed his game a faur bit over his rarly career already. Started out as more of a winger, then he was more of poacher, playing on the shoulder, and this season, he has been used as a false 9. Ive seen him quite a bit as well, and he has a really broad skill set, modern forward imo. 

Edited by big blue
56 minutes ago, big blue said:

Both young enough to grow though. How rounded a player was anelka when he was jumping between fenebache, city and bolton? 

Gudjohnson's game changed massively from when we signed him, until when we won the league. 

How many players under 24 have the complete package? 

edit re werner. He has changed his game a faur bit over his rarly career already. Started out as more of a winger, then he was more of poacher, playing on the shoulder, and this season, he has been used as a false 9. Ive seen him quite a bit as well, and he has a really broad skill set, modern forward imo. 

I don;t think Werner would suit us this season as we need an alternative to Tammy.

Gudjohnsen and Anelka were both good in no.10 roles or playing in a front three.

The only thing is I always thought if one was playing in a three you needed at least one out and out winger too.

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Hakim Ziyech looks to be a target now as well.

Says next season when there will be more interested teams. No reason why we haven’t made a move considering Ajax have said they are open to it.

59 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I don;t think Werner would suit us this season as we need an alternative to Tammy.

Gudjohnsen and Anelka were both good in no.10 roles or playing in a front three.

The only thing is I always thought if one was playing in a three you needed at least one out and out winger too.

Werner isnt coming this season, who knows what frank wants the team to look like ideally, since he hasnt had the chance to bring anyone in, and he has only been a manager for 18 months. Maybe Werner is perfect for how he wants us to play, nobody knows. 

Anelka was never a number 10 though, wide forward or down the middle. 

Gudjohnson adapted his game when jose came in, he went from more a tradition centre forward, to a number 10, so jose still had 3 men in the midfle if park, which is what i suggested jovic could do in my original point. 

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Come on Chelsea. Only a few days to go. Push Giroud, Emerson, Batman and Pedro out the door already, save us from their incompetence. Lol

Unfortunately I think they have become door stops :ohmy: You'll be lucky if we get rid of one, let alone all 5 plus the trash we have on loan that everyone seems to have lost track of. 

45 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Come on Chelsea. Only a few days to go. Push Giroud, Emerson, Batman and Pedro out the door already, save us from their incompetence. Lol

Crazy that Giroud is on a £110.000 per week, Pedro £100k. It's also about the club saving itself from them. 

This is by no means a rumour but I'm wondering if we've considered a move for Danny Rose? In my opinion he's a better left back than Alonso and anything is an upgrade on Emerson. Would Levy sell/loan to a rival for one of the Champions League spots? 

19 minutes ago, sabin6912 said:

This is by no means a rumour but I'm wondering if we've considered a move for Danny Rose? In my opinion he's a better left back than Alonso and anything is an upgrade on Emerson. Would Levy sell/loan to a rival for one of the Champions League spots? 

Absolutely no chance. Levy wouldn't p*ss on us if we were on fire