Random Rumours

2 hours ago, ducavis said:

Big worry and despite the 3-0 win against Burnley, we certainly have issues. I am not sold on Azpi as a LB and it’s baffling Lamps is not trying to strengthen us there when there are options on the market. 
There is also a lack of creativity in the side  which he has acknowledged, I also don’t think playing Barkley deeper is a long term option till the end of the season. Mount is also going through some slump after his impressive first 10 league games which is expected. We need a “10” desperately who can create something and score, there are options on the market who can play as wingers and as a 10 but we are not moving for them.

Out of interest what options do you see out there in the market right now for Left Back? I would only be interested in a signing that would be first choice LB and not a filler. There may be a few more options in creative midfield position although again it will be hard to find a player in January that is good enough to start ahead of our current first choice midfielders. I am not convinced by any of the names we are being linked with.

4 hours ago, forbzy said:

Out of interest what options do you see out there in the market right now for Left Back? I would only be interested in a signing that would be first choice LB and not a filler. There may be a few more options in creative midfield position although again it will be hard to find a player in January that is good enough to start ahead of our current first choice midfielders. I am not convinced by any of the names we are being linked with.

Grimaldo & Telles are both solid options, and I doubt their respective clubs would  stop them from moving in Jan. Potro & Benfica are in Europa, and already almost certain to be in the CL next season. I hope we don’t get suckered into waiting for Chilwell as IMO he is inferior, would cost more and Ndidi prevented him from getting exposed defensively.  City and Utd are almost likely to be interested in him this summer.

Ziyech or Olmo are either on par or clear upgrades on Willian stat wise in the CL. Either player can operate on the right as a replacement for Pedro, and as a “10” when we need something creatively from the centre. Their release clauses are also under £50m which wouldn’t hamper splurging on a big signing in the summer.

Bottom line is if you get anyone in January it’s a punt, something is wrong, no one sells a top player in January, have to look for a set of circumstances, disgruntled player, second to a world class teammate Etc. Then hope they work out. I’d be looking at loan deals or short term options save the big bucks for summer 

45 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Grimaldo & Telles are both solid options, and I doubt their respective clubs would  stop them from moving in Jan. Potro & Benfica are in Europa, and already almost certain to be in the CL next season. I hope we don’t get suckered into waiting for Chilwell as IMO he is inferior, would cost more and Ndidi prevented him from getting exposed defensively.  City and Utd are almost likely to be interested in him this summer.

Ziyech or Olmo are either on par or clear upgrades on Willian stat wise in the CL. Either player can operate on the right as a replacement for Pedro, and as a “10” when we need something creatively from the centre. Their release clauses are also under £50m which wouldn’t hamper splurging on a big signing in the summer.

I like Alex Telles although I think it might be difficult to get him in January. Supposedly he would cost at least 40m Euros, although that is significantly cheaper than Chilwell. Alaba would be a decent option I think, although again I don't know if that would be achievable in January.

I am pretty sure efforts are being made behind the scenes to try and secure a couple of signings. However I hope we only remain focused on top signings even if it means waiting until the summer. We won't benefit from more mediocre squad fillers. If anything that will just suppress the development of youth options in the same position. 

49 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Why oh why are we pissballing about in this transfer window, get some fresh blood in to freshen the team up, we did well saturday, but struggled.

We didn't struggle, Burnley had little spells but never really looked dangerous.

As for signings I can't see any decent players moving in this window, you know, players that will actually strengthen us.

Edited by Malcolm9
17 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

We didn't struggle, Burnley had little spells but never really looked dangerous.

As for signings I can't see any decent players moving in this window, you know, players that will actually strengthen us.

It could of been very different it it wasn't for a VAR intervention, A dodgy pen by Willian, and a goal by Callum, that i don't know how Tammy failed to touch, which would of resulted in him being offside, i just think we look a bit stale, chopping and changing midfield etc (injuries permitting), There are plenty who could strengthen us, just need to splash the Summer cash

3 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Why oh why are we pissballing about in this transfer window, get some fresh blood in to freshen the team up, we did well saturday, but struggled.

over 2 weeks left yet.  Club give nothing away anymore, found that out in previous windows.  Suspect it'll just come out of nowhere whoever we sign

On 13/01/2020 at 06:21, dansubrosa said:

Nearly two weeks into the window and there hasn’t been any concrete links yet, I’m surprised considering the transfer ban.

Seems like we are biding our time and waiting for the right opportunity to come up, which makes a lot of sense.

There's two ways of looking at it.

1. We're not doing anything substantive, and we'll make a panic buy at the end of the window; or

2. We're in no rush to buy and will only make a purchase if it's a clear upgrade on what we have and improves the team almost immediately.

I hope it's #2.

17 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

It could of been very different it it wasn't for a VAR intervention (it was offside??), a legit pen by Willian, a great team goal finished by Abraham and a goal by Callum to finish them off, that i don't know how Tammy failed to touch (does it matter??), which would of resulted in him being offside, i just think we look a bit stale, chopping and changing midfield etc (injuries permitting), There are plenty who could strengthen us, just need to splash the Summer cash

FTFY

Edited by Malcolm9

LBH the only position that really needs strengthening in this window is for another goal scoring striker to partner Tammy, January  can be a punt - Anelka worked out great , Torres not so.  Plus nearly every club in the prem league is desperate for the same position to be filled - Villa cus they're in peril, Spuds cus they're mid table, other clubs etc. etc.

So unless the club have a trump card up their sleeve I don't expect (m)any signings this month, the club just needed a 274 mill cash injection from Roman  despite selling Eddy and not buying in the summer; so maybe the club's saving its dosh for the summer window, which I feel is a prudent strategy. 

Edited by General
currency
2 hours ago, enigma said:

I feel like man Utd signing Fernandes will help seal their top four hopes. We need to make one or two very good signings this window otherwise we be found wanting when it comes to top four hopes. 

Why though? Is there anything special about him. We don't need to panic buy, which I feel like some of you want.

20 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It's almost like a small disappointment the fact that the club went into this transfer window without any ideas. Maybe we are looking to sign Chilwell, Sancho and Werner in the summer though.

What fact? How do you know the club doesn't have any ideas? Perhaps there are negotiotations going on, perhaps the identified targets aren't available in January, perhaps it's a conscious choice not to sign anybody: we just don't know what's going on.

47 minutes ago, Valerie said:

What fact? How do you know the club doesn't have any ideas? Perhaps there are negotiotations going on, perhaps the identified targets aren't available in January, perhaps it's a conscious choice not to sign anybody: we just don't know what's going on.

Perhaps something is going on, but judging from how Lampard has been going about in the press either he isn't as involved in it or the club is most likely not going to do much this window and leave most of the things that need to be done for the summer, like I said. As time passes by it looks like it's a conscious choice to stick with what we have now and look to really improve with Chilwell, Sancho in the summer and since things are going well so far maybe it's not a really big risk to continue without any signing in January.

The thing is, I don't see why we would need to wait so much for a new player if the club already knew who to sign for this period, Liverpool's deal for their new player was practically done before the window opened and they didn't lose a single game in the league so far which would suggest that they would have less urgency than us.

Though I'm aware that the club does things sometimes in the last moment, some of our previous January signings got here in the last days of January e.g. Giroud, Emerson. So you're right it's not a fact that the club has no ideas for this transfer window, it's just my speculation. To me it still looks a bit sloppy in case the club actually had a plan all along, it doesn't need to be set in stone that we must sign a player in the last days of January.

5 hours ago, Gol15 said:

It's almost like a small disappointment the fact that the club went into this transfer window without any ideas. Maybe we are looking to sign Chilwell, Sancho and Werner in the summer though.

That's banking on getting CL football though. Without CL football we'll be fortunate to sign any of those. Maybe, just maybe Sancho will still come, but no guarantees. Consistent CL football is a massive attraction for moving to a club. 

6 hours ago, Malcolm9 said:

Why though? Is there anything special about him. We don't need to panic buy, which I feel like some of you want.

By all accounts Utd are buying him to replace Lingard. Fernandes is going to be a definite upgrade on Lingard. It adds to their goal threat options.