Xabi Alonso

Andres Iniesta

Xavi Hernandez

Lionel Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo

Radamel Falcao

Essentially

Real/Barca XI plus Falcao

The fact Buffon and Pirlo aren't in is ridiculous, and it should have been Lahm at either LB/RB

Should have been Cech in goal and Di Matteo and Klopp over Del Bosque and Guardiola. Guardiola got beaten for the 2 biggest cups and everyone knew Spain would walk the Euros.

Disagree with you on the Cech and Di Matteo bits. unfortunately, despite the match fixing thing, it should have been Antonio Conte then Jurgen Klopp. In terms of goalies, it should have been Buffon, then Wily Caballero from Malaga, before CechCasillas.

So like with all the best players playing in Spain, Real Madrid and Barcelona must have gone undefeated save when they played each other...and with Barca having the most world's best players, best coach and the player who won the Balloon D'Or again they must have won all of the Spanish trophies.

Which countries had teams in the Champions League finals again? I forget...

Anyway, no goalkeeper did what Cech did last season in the Champions League...ever...Based on merit, Cech was easily the best goalkeeper in the world last year, maybe of all time.

It's the Eurovision of football and an all round farce.

Messi doesn't vote for Ronaldo in his top 3, Bruno Alves (Portugal captain) doesn't vote Messi in his top 3.

Loads more of these as well, such as squeaky Stevie giving Alonso his 3rd vote and Tiago Silva giving his buddy Zlatan his 3rd. Columbia captain's 1st vote goes to Falcao...

Nice to see former blue, Miroslav Stoch get the Puskas award for best goal, but IMO Falcao's was much much better.

Casillas has done nothing special, Cech however??

Pique was dropped for long periods by Pep for not performing well, and now Dani Alves can't buy a game to the extent that he's been linked with f**king Arsenal...?

Both still get in the team, Del Bosque gets manager for what? Turning up with the best team in the world for a few weeks and then having the rest of the year off?

What a complete joke of a ceremony. That's FIFA for you.

Messi was always gonna win player of the year, so no surprise there. As for the XI, the midfield and attack are obvious choices and no issues there, but the back line? The only one with any kind of argument is Ramos, the other 3 should be nowhere near it.

Messi wins again? Most of the world team consisting of Real Madrid and Barcelona players?

Really? My dear God, what a huge surprise. Could never have imagined it.

Smell the sarcasm.

Not surprised at all. Cech could have gone through the year not conceding a single goal and still miss out. He was one of the biggest reason why a "weak" Chelsea team won the CL trophy.

And Pirlo was magical last season for Juventus, was brilliant at the EUROs and has started really well this season. But of course he had no chance against Xavi, Iniesta and Alonso.

Couldn't care less anymore. It's a w**k-fest over the spanish way of playing and Messi. The amount of semen ejaculated during those awards could drown a small country. Or possibly Liverpool. I prefer the latter.

GK: Peter Cech

RB: Phil Lahm (Dani Alves is too costly on defense and as said, he's starting to struggle to even start)

CB: Mats Hummels (Only 5 goals scored against them in the group stages of the CL against Real Madrid/Ajax/Citeh and one of the best defensive records last season in the Bundesliga)

CB: Thiago Silva (He may be playing in Ligue 1 now, but PSG is looking good defensively despite a bad start)

LB: Ashley Cole (I like Marcello and Coentrão and I think one of those two are heir apparent, but no one is more consistent than Ashley Cole.)

MF: Yaya Toure (He's the most menacing box-to-box/holding midfielder-whatever you want to call him-in the game)

MF: Xavi (though Pirlo showed him up in the Euros)

MF: C. Ronaldo

MF: Inesta

MF/F: Messi

F: Falcao

Surely cech should have got in.

Cech would be behind Buffon, Caballero and Neuer in my opinion.

What I would have had

1st Team

Gianlugi Buffon [Juventus]

Phillip Lahm [bayern Munchen]

Thiago Silva [AC Milan/Paris St-Germain]

Giorgio Chiellini [Juventus]

Fabio Coentrao [Real Madrid]

Andrea Pirlo [Juventus]

Andres Iniesta [FC Barcelona]

Xavi Hernandez [FC Barcelona]

Cristiano Ronaldo [Real Madrid]

Lionel Messi [Real Madrid]

Radamel Falcao [Atletico de Madrid]

2nd Team

Wily Caballero [Malaga CF]

Åukasz Piszczek [borussia Dortmund]

Mats Hummels [borussia Dortmund]

Vincent Kompany [Manchester City]

Ashley Cole [Chelsea]

Mesut Ozil [Real Madrid]

Juan Mata [Chelsea]

Marek Hamsik [sSC Napoli]

Ezequiel Lavezzi [sSC Napoli/Paris St-Germain]

Edison Cavani [sSC Napoli]

Zlatan Ibrahimovic [AC Milan/Paris St-Germain]

FIFA/FIFPro World XI

Iker Casillas

Dani Alves

Gerard Pique

Sergio Ramos

Marcelo

Xabi Alonso

Andres Iniesta

Xavi Hernandez

Lionel Messi

Cristiano Ronaldo

Radamel Falcao

Essentially

Real/Barca XI plus Falcao

The fact Buffon and Pirlo aren't in is ridiculous, and it should have been Lahm at either LB/RB

This list just shows how clueless FIFA really is.

My 1st team:

Petr Cech

Phillip Lahm 

Thiago Silva

Giorgio Chiellini

Ashley Cole

Andrea Pirlo

Andres Iniesta

Xavi Hernandez

Cristiano Ronaldo

Lionel Messi

Radamel Falcao

I have no problem with iker in there. He won la liga and Euro championships. However that defence just baffles me?? If JT hadn't been sent off vs Barca and we had won the CL im sure he would have been in there but the fact that Ashley isnt there is a farce and Alves has had a very mediocre year

I'm biased obviously, but how anyone can not make cech in their world xi is beyond me after what he did in the champions league and some of his stunning saves all year really...casillas was a virtual spectator for most of his games for madrid and spain

Cech would be behind Buffon, Caballero and Neuer in my opinion.

What have Caballero and Neuer done this year to warrant being ahead of Cech?

Neuer lost to Cech in a penalty shoot out, only being able to save Mata's which was hit right at him, and did not even come close to any of the others. He was also beaten by virtually our only good chance of the entire game, from a corner which I believe Cech may have been able to save. 

Cech went the right way for every single penalty in that shootout, and saved Robben's, and made countless top class vital saves across the 3 games against Bayern & Barca, not to mention his fantastic save in the FA Cup final which ended up proving decisive. Bayern didn't win 1 competition this year, in fact they were beaten in 2 finals, and he did nothing spectacular with the German side at the Euros either.

Caballero plays for a mediocre Spanish side that came 4th in an inferior league to the EPL and won nothing, and he can't even get into the Argentine side.

As for Buffon, he may have gone undefeated in a Juventus side in a continually declining Italian league, but he also let 4 goals in in the Euro 2012 final, the worst result of any Euro final ever, so he should not have been considered for this.

At the end of the day, Cech won a CL and an FA Cup, Casillas won Liga and the Euros. Would Spain have won the Euros without Casillas? I'm fairly sure they would, he barely had anything to do all tournament because their squad is so superior to everyone else.

This isn't to say that Buffon, Casillas and Neuer aren't all keepers of the highest caliber, it's just sad to see such a great goalkeeper as Cech, who without whom we would have won absolutely nothing last season, continues to be ignored because

a) He plays in England not Spain

and

b) Because he's Czech and not from a major footballing superpower.

If he were Spanish and Casillas were Czech, I guarantee he would have won this award, unfortunately he'll continue to be underrated by the wider footballing community. However I don't like to see him underrated by his own fans.

Archived