Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I completely disagree with this. Hazard is a far more direct player when in possession of the ball and is more likely to unlock a defence with his speed and dribbling. Iniesta's game is miles more suited to passing. He has an awesome range of passing which is how he breaks down defences.

It really isn't and restricting him to that is taking away a big part of his game which is his ability to dribble past players with ease.

Iniesta is one of the best dribblers in world football, the only player I can think of with better close control is Messi. I lost count of the number of times Spain looked completely devoid of ideas at the Euros and Iniesta would ghost past a man or two and make something out of nothing.

Never thought of comparing him to Hazard but the way they go past players is, indeed, similar. Hazard is a more direct player though and plays higher up the pitch more as a dribbler with great passing, whilst Iniesta is generally more of a passer with excellent dribbling in his arsenal.

I can certainly see where Lane is coming from. I don't understand people saying Hazard is far more direct than Iniesta. If anything, I consistently find myself thinking Hazard should be more direct. He is a lot like Iniesta.

I think by direct many people (myself included) mean that he runs straight at the defence, whereas often you see Iniesta passing the ball in similar situations.

I think by direct many people (myself included) mean that he runs straight at the defence, whereas often you see Iniesta passing the ball in similar situations.

I know what direct means. In my opinion, Hazard should play more directly than he currently does. Early in the year, he was going past everyone. Then he stopped. He's been better lately, but it's something I want to see from him every match.

I know what direct means. In my opinion, Hazard should play more directly than he currently does. Early in the year, he was going past everyone. Then he stopped. He's been better lately, but it's something I want to see from him every match.

A lot of iniesta's passes are direct, though, in that he plays ridiculous balls into the box on a regular basis which is what I thought you meant.

I agree that Hazard can afford to be more direct as he's incredible at running at defences. There's a balance there though as doing it every time he gets the ball will just mean losing it very often, obviously to the detriment of the team.

Iniesta's game, as well as the tactics of his team, revolves around crisp passing and possession football. Iniesta whilst being a great dribbler isn't likely to sprint past players like Hazard. Iniesta is more of a 1-2 player who dribbles in between. They're 2 different types of dribbler and Iniesta's passing is more polished. Hazard is stronger, faster and has quicker feet, whereas Iniesta is a complete passer, who can dribble very well and whose touch is almost perfect. 

I don't think Hazard will ever get to Iniesta's level in terms of passing as Iniesta has built his whole game on this aspect and plays for a team that plays to all his strengths. But Hazard is already a better dribbler due to his strength and speed. 

Basically what I'm saying is they're not completely different but they're not the same sort of player, and I don't think they ever will be. Hazard is more like Messi in his younger days imo.

But Hazard is already a better dribbler due to his strength and speed. 

I think you're severely underrating his dribbling ability, tbh. As I said above, Iniesta's close control/dribbling ability is second to only messi imo. The only thing he is lacking is pace, but because of his ridiculous control over the ball he's still the second best dribbler in the world. He just has this ability to completely make a mug of out defenders in tight spaces, ridiculously talented player.

I think you're severely underrating his dribbling ability, tbh. As I said above, Iniesta's close control/dribbling ability is second to only messi imo. The only thing he is lacking is pace, but because of his ridiculous control over the ball he's still the second best dribbler in the world. He just has this ability to completely make a mug of out defenders in tight spaces, ridiculously talented player.

Its debatable. That video is 4 years old. He doesn't dribble like that any more. Like I said, he generally will dribble past someone then play a 1-2 or something similar (video evidence below). He doesn't take it past 3 or 4 by himself like he used to.

But anyway, my point is still true imo - that there are better comparisons to Hazard than Iniesta. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8NLwfsF82Q

The Guardian describe him as "Joe Cole's bionic younger brother".

I thought Nibs would like that one.

Barney Ronay is a decent writer, I like that he is a bit more creative with his writing in a lot of his opinion pieces   

I hope we can keep him for a while, because some of the things he can do with the ball at his feet are ridiculous.

Every time he gets the ball you can sense fans in the stadium edge forward in their seats, expecting something to happen.

My only worry is if Real/Barca come knocking we might struggle to hold onto him.

I hope we can keep him for a while, because some of the things he can do with the ball at his feet are ridiculous.

Every time he gets the ball you can sense fans in the stadium edge forward in their seats, expecting something to happen.

My only worry is if Real/Barca come knocking we might struggle to hold onto him.

Especially should we miss out on CL play next year.

His brother Thorgan Hazard was MOTM yesterday against Anderlecht, his team took the lead position. If they stay first, they'll play CL next season. Would be great to see the brothers playing against eachother in Europe...