Feruz

brew888
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

With the fixture list we've got coming up and the lack of depth we have in certain areas in the squad, I think it would make a lot of sense to start giving Islam a spot on the bench. If only for the reason that if Torres or Ba picks up an injury we're literally down to one, and at least we would have someone waiting. I'm not saying he should necessarily be thrown into the fire, but 10 minutes here or there if the opportunity arises can do no harm at all. I think his pace would cause almost any defender a problem, and would just be another potential option.

As much as I would like this to happen, I don't think it will.

The only youth team player that seems to be making it into the first team is Ake.  And with us playing 2 deep mids behind the attacking 3, I can see this as an area we would look to enforce via the YT before the striking department.  Don't forget, Moses could play up front in a pinch, and I think with that option, behind Torres and Ba starting, would be the one the FSW would go for first.

Also, and this is a statement true of all managers, not just the Interim One, the demands for instant success will mean no manager will take many chances on a youngster, especially not during such a short spell.  I see Arnesen came out and backed this up in the papers this week too.

With our limited front line options, Feruz should have been called into the squad along time ago. The kid is an absolute spring-heeled rocket.

Only provisio I would make is that he would need to play in a front two. Running off of Demba Ba knock downs he would pose a real threat

With our limited front line options, Feruz should have been called into the squad along time ago. The kid is an absolute spring-heeled rocket.

Only provisio I would make is that he would need to play in a front two. Running off of Demba Ba knock downs he would pose a real threat

100% agree.

What I've seen of him the kid looks class but its too early to throw him in the deep end, but at the same time if this kid (along with Boga and Ake) don't make the first team at some point in their careers then I can't see anyone doing it again.

Just want to point out that feruz is very small. I know he is skilful and fast but in the premier league as a striker if you dont have weight to throw around you're toast. Miroslav stoch for example when he had a run with the first team, too small, out. I want feruz to be given a chance but I think his size could hinder him, especially as we play with a lone striker

Just want to point out that feruz is very small. I know he is skilful and fast but in the premier league as a striker if you dont have weight to throw around you're toast. Miroslav stoch for example when he had a run with the first team, too small, out. I want feruz to be given a chance but I think his size could hinder him, especially as we play with a lone striker

Yeah I agree. Aguero is a terrible.

Miroslav stoch for example when he had a run with the first team, too small, out.

i wouldn't call 45 minutes or so (in total) spread across 6 games a "run in the first team".  

he did ok in a few of those little cameos too. 

your argument may be right...feruz may be too slight for first team football right now (tbh i haven't seen much of him so i don't know)...but that is a horrible example to back up your point.

He's stockier than Theo Walcott, who's played very well as a forward for Arsenal this year. 

There are of course examples of numerous great players who are short, both past and present.

The relevent context here however is a striker of the build of Feruz, who I believe is 5'4", being able to do the business as a lone striker in our current set up, against Premiership defenders.

Regardless of who is selected, our strikers are still expected to be able to hold the ball up and as we have seen time and time again we continue to punt it forward to whoever it is playing. Ba, in my opinion, put in a master class of holding the ball up against United on Monday, Torres on the other hand provides an example of a player who struggles to cause the same problems when trying to hold it up and the long balls often see us hand possesion straight back to the oppenent as a result.

This of course doens't mean to say that Feruz can't be a success at Premiership level, that remains to be put to the test, if he is good enough and we play to his strengths then of course he can, but it is obviously an immediate disadvantage when it comes to the physical side of the game if he is so much shorter then his oppenents.

I suppose it depends how the lone striker is used. Obviously using him like were used drogba is out of the question, but using him playing of defenders shoulders in for of mata/hazard/Oscar could certainly work.

Comparing the likes of Messi, Aguero etc to Feruz for a frame size reference is a little silly. Messi and Aguero although small, are reasonably well built and are pretty strong. Feruz looks tiny if you are comparing body composition.

Haven't seen Feruz play all that much I have to say though, how has he been doing in the reserves? Is he one of the most promising stars in the team? If not he won't be anywhere near the first team for quite some time.

Edited by Zola

What about Hernandez? His frame and height doesnt stop him from scoring in almost every game he plays against us

chicha has 5 inches on feruz and probably about 20 lbs too

Edited by Lane

Yes. Clearly better. You reckon that is why he is constantly picked ahead of Torres...anywho would be great to see him in action.

Since when did ability have anything to do with who gets picked for Chelsea?

Based on Rafa's team selections I wouldn't rule out the possibility he just draws names from a hat.

Since when did ability have anything to do with who gets picked for Chelsea?

Based on Rafa's team selections I wouldn't rule out the possibility he just draws names from a hat.

So you don't think he picked a slightly waker side against Southampton and then played a full strength side against United?