Anti-Chelsea Media

Myles_91
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

A couple of months ago (more than a couple, probably about a year or two) I posted a thread on the topic in question and a debate ensued as to whether there was a legitimate case as to whether there was an inherent bias against Chelsea in the media, many agreed and some said it was paranoia as all teams felt their team was harshly criticised by the media? Today I saw 3 Liverpool players who should have been sent off, and pundits/journalists laughing and joking about the Suarez incident. The BBC headline reads "Suarez apologises for Ivanovic 'bite'". The BBC clearly siding with Suarez and almost taking an apologetic stance on what was a grotesque incident.

Want to know what the headline was after Hazard's incident at Swansea? "Hazard kicks ballboy". Not only factually misleading and inaccurate but also no mention of Hazard's reconciliation with the ballboy and Swansea officials afterwards. 

I know it can't be me being paranoid when non-Chelsea fans tell me there is a bias against us as well.

For the doubters amongst you can I ask you one thing:

1. If Arsenal/United/Liverpool/Spurs had won the Champions League having been 2-0 down at Barca and down to 10 men (drawing 2-2) and beating Bayern in their own back yard with key players absent, do you think the style of football would have been questioned?

2. If John Terry had bitten the arm of a Liverpool player do you think pundits would be laughing & joking with journalists urging the FA not to give a lengthy ban?

3. Do you think Didier Drogba would have received at least one player of the month award if he played for any other club?

4. Do you think there would have been an investigation into Roman Abramovich's background/wealth if he had acquired Man Utd, Liverpool or even Spurs?

5. Do you think any other club would have been labelled "boring" having just set a record for points and clean sheets in a 38 game season?

6. Do you think Liverpool fans would be blamed for their teams performances if Gary Neville became their manager and was proven to be inept? (or Spurs fans if Tony Adams became their manager)

7. If United or Liverpool had been on the receiving end of Ovrebo how do you think the media would have reacted? (Bear in mind the outrage at the Nani red - which was correct IMO)

When Drogba scored that offside goal at Old Trafford I watched Sky Sports replay it every day for four times an hour until the midweek games on the Tuesday and site it as "the reason Chelsea will win the title" despite us being in control and United themselves have a handball goal awarded. History was effectively allowed to be re-written. That week we benefitted from a decision against Bolton and a decision against Villa in the FA Cup semi. Sky would not let it go, they put a collage of video clips highlighting our "luck" and the key decisions that went for us, until a decision went against us, that was against Spurs in a 2-1 defeat.

The FA bent their own rules and undermined a court of law to ban a Chelsea player, the media did not even kick up a fuss, they actually went a step further and condemned the FA for not making the ban longer. The FA gave us a suspended 3 point penalty for the Ashley Cole affair with Arsenal chairman and FA chairman David Dein conducting contract talks, not once did the media scrutinise the obvious conflict of interests. FIFA tried to put a transfer embargo on us and the media couldn't wait to twist the knife, when vindicated there was no acknowledgement, it was just "Roman paid FIFA"

If people want to live in blissful ignorance of the bias that's fine but I refuse to.

To be fair Souness and Redknapp were both appalled by the Suarez bite today, although I got the impression that was more because they were worried about Liverpools reputation, then for Brana's possible tetnus issues.

But I take your point...and I agree with it, which is why winning the CL last year was so brilliant, it must have upset an awful lot of people.

However being reduced wrongly to nine men in two consecutive seasons and both of those games ending in controversy and rancour have badly affected our clug, and although we've had the press baying for Chelsea's blood, the lack of support over Ovrebo, the snide digs are all water off a ducks back, I'm more concerned about Refs and the FA's bias against us than I am about some hack writing snide and inacurate pieces about us.

A couple of months ago (more than a couple, probably about a year or two) I posted a thread on the topic in question and a debate ensued as to whether there was a legitimate case as to whether there was an inherent bias against Chelsea in the media, many agreed and some said it was paranoia as all teams felt their team was harshly criticised by the media? Today I saw 3 Liverpool players who should have been sent off, and pundits/journalists laughing and joking about the Suarez incident. The BBC headline reads "Suarez apologises for Ivanovic 'bite'". The BBC clearly siding with Suarez and almost taking an apologetic stance on what was a grotesque incident.

Want to know what the headline was after Hazard's incident at Swansea? "Hazard kicks ballboy". Not only factually misleading and inaccurate but also no mention of Hazard's reconciliation with the ballboy and Swansea officials afterwards.

I know it can't be me being paranoid when non-Chelsea fans tell me there is a bias against us as well.

For the doubters amongst you can I ask you one thing:

1. If Arsenal/United/Liverpool/Spurs had won the Champions League having been 2-0 down at Barca and down to 10 men (drawing 2-2) and beating Bayern in their own back yard with key players absent, do you think the style of football would have been questioned?

2. If John Terry had bitten the arm of a Liverpool player do you think pundits would be laughing & joking with journalists urging the FA not to give a lengthy ban?

3. Do you think Didier Drogba would have received at least one player of the month award if he played for any other club?

4. Do you think there would have been an investigation into Roman Abramovich's background/wealth if he had acquired Man Utd, Liverpool or even Spurs?

5. Do you think any other club would have been labelled "boring" having just set a record for points and clean sheets in a 38 game season?

6. Do you think Liverpool fans would be blamed for their teams performances if Gary Neville became their manager and was proven to be inept? (or Spurs fans if Tony Adams became their manager)

7. If United or Liverpool had been on the receiving end of Ovrebo how do you think the media would have reacted? (Bear in mind the outrage at the Nani red - which was correct IMO)

When Drogba scored that offside goal at Old Trafford I watched Sky Sports replay it every day for four times an hour until the midweek games on the Tuesday and site it as "the reason Chelsea will win the title" despite us being in control and United themselves have a handball goal awarded. History was effectively allowed to be re-written. That week we benefitted from a decision against Bolton and a decision against Villa in the FA Cup semi. Sky would not let it go, they put a collage of video clips highlighting our "luck" and the key decisions that went for us, until a decision went against us, that was against Spurs in a 2-1 defeat.

The FA bent their own rules and undermined a court of law to ban a Chelsea player, the media did not even kick up a fuss, they actually went a step further and condemned the FA for not making the ban longer. The FA gave us a suspended 3 point penalty for the Ashley Cole affair with Arsenal chairman and FA chairman David Dein conducting contract talks, not once did the media scrutinise the obvious conflict of interests. FIFA tried to put a transfer embargo on us and the media couldn't wait to twist the knife, when vindicated there was no acknowledgement, it was just "Roman paid FIFA"

If people want to live in blissful ignorance of the bias that's fine but I refuse to.

Good post Myles I'm don't forget last weeks semi final.

Myles, quick question. point 3, are you saying drogba never won player of the month when he was at chelsea?? incredible if thats true, or maybe i just misinterpreted the point

Drogba never once won player of the month at Chelsea. What's worse is that from October 2005- August 2008 no Chelsea player won POTM despite 1st and two 2nd place finishes.

History has also been re-written, people forget that Jose was not liked by the media until he left Chelsea. Only won MOTM 3 times. By the time he left, Benitez had won it the same amount of times with no league titles to show for it.

Edited by Myles_91

You come across as a very angry and paranoid young man Myles, which I'm sure you are not.

Perhaps you need to refocus your energies - it's just a game after all!

Ps - I can't work out if point 3 is serious or not

We are the most scrutinised club and it does seem like the media resent the club probably for its new found wealth.

We won the Champions League the hard way, not luck. The culture now is to jump on any indiscretion and run with it like school kids.

Don't know where they get boring from (Couldn't think of anything else, I suppose).

If we continue to win the respect will come.

You come across as a very angry and paranoid young man Myles, which I'm sure you are not.

Perhaps you need to refocus your energies - it's just a game after all!

Ps - I can't work out if point 3 is serious or not

I'm not paranoid but I base my thoughts re: this on two old adages.

1. There is no such thing as coincidence

2. Paranoia is when you have all the facts

When something repeatedly happens, it can't be a coincidence. Southampton were praised for chanting Nigel Adkins name in their first game after his sacking yet Chelsea fans criticised for chanting RDM's on the 16th minute ( a man that meant so much to this football club because of 97 and Munich). Man Utd players surrounded Turkish referee Cuneyt Cakir and were "right to do so" yet it's disgraceful scenes when Chelsea do it.

I wasn't going to drag this up but how's this for paranoia? http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3079258/Moat-was-a-legend-Id-never-met-him-but-I-loved-him.html

"Theresa, wearing a Chelsea shirt bearing the badge of the Headhunters football thugs" 

Multiple murderer and a man who shot at a Police Officer is indirectly and subtly used to character assassinate Chelsea FC

I always point to the same example ..

Gigsy's 100th goal for Utd, special build up program's on sky, is or isn't he going to do every week on BBC ... And when he finally does it an hour special sky along with some front page headlines.

Lampard does it in half the time, 3rd item on the sports news and that was only because he wrote something on his t shirt.

And hardly a snitch when he did his 200 just about if he leaves the club or not.

Without a doubt bias to me, maybe I am paranoid

Just had a quick look on the NewsNow feed and found this.

n the last half-hour
FAU.gifVillas-Boas eyes Chelsea 'decider' Sportal Australia 23:39

I haven't bothered reading the article, but in despite what's happened today, Sam Wallace seems to consider another attack on John Terry is required.
Edited by Scooby Blue

we just have to embrace the anti-Chelsea media, they hate us because we are successful.

if Abramovich had bought Newcastle who had gone on to win the Champions League and several Premier Leagues jealous United/Arsenal supporting Journos would be writing the same trash about them. 

Id rather they found stupid reasons to write stupid articles about us because were successful than winning nothing with nothing to talk about

Just had a quick look on the NewsNow feed and found this.

n the last half-hour
FAU.gifVillas-Boas eyes Chelsea 'decider' Sportal Australia 23:39

I haven't bothered reading the article, but in despite what's happened today, Sam Wallace seems to consider another attack on John Terry is required.

Here's an unbelievable quote from that Wallace piece:

Unfortunately it was Terry who dragged the whole thing kicking and screaming back into the room. Yes, that thing. Racism, the independent regulatory commission verdict that Terry had not simply called Anton Ferdinand "a f****** black c***" by way of repeating a question. The same allegation he was, nonetheless, cleared of by a court in July working to a much lower burden of proof than the 62-page commission report.

I had to read that last bit over and over to check I'd not misread it. It says the magistrate's court, when it cleared him, was working to a 'much lower burden of proof than the FA'.

Which is total, and utter, and complete bollox. The court cleared him because it could not prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt.

The FA found him guilty because it didn't have to prove guilt beyond all reasonable doubt. The balance of probabilities was sufficient.

Our journos are such scumbags.

we just have to embrace the anti-Chelsea media, they hate us because we are successful.

if Abramovich had bought Newcastle who had gone on to win the Champions League and several Premier Leagues jealous United/Arsenal supporting Journos would be writing the same trash about them. 

Id rather they found stupid reasons to write stupid articles about us because were successful than winning nothing with nothing to talk about

Not sure I agree. There has always been a great affinity towards Newcastle due to this myth they've always been "Loyal" fans. Generally speaking, very few are begrudging when Northern clubs come into money. Northern grit v Flash Cockney. QPR have had their fair share (although some of it justifiable) of media vitriol this year. 

To be hated, you have to be disliked to begin with. Even under Bates, we were never really "liked" and in the latter years just viewed as the little underdog compared to Arsenal and United, but never much of a genuine threat to them therefore  the media didn't take much umbrage with us despite seeds of dislike with Bates and fanbase,

one of the worse cases of anti-Chelsea sentiment was when the sun offered £10,000 to anyone who'd score against Chelsea cos we hadn't conceded in the first six games or something in 2005-6 campaign...never seen anything like it before or since...our dominance was boring apparently...

funny how when arse and utd have strolled the lge it's glory wenger/fergie bs...

found the sun's article when Moore did it...even muppet O'Leary was bemused at stick Chelsea were getting

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/225362/Chelsea-2-Aston-Villa-1.html

Edited by The Brit

On the internet channel i watched the match on it was very pro pool.....Even when chelsea fans were reasonably loud they would say ...its gone quiet here....etc........no one ever says ...Chelsea fans are in fine voice.......No one likes us

See it as a positive, it's great poking fingers in people's eyes.

We know who we are...

What is strange every other clubs says the same

Exactly. Every fan of every club thinks the same, laughably even Liverpool.

Is there a media bias? maybe, but we do bring a fair chunk of it on ourselves.

Personally I find the self wallowing and self pitying that goes on regarding any media bias very dull, though I'm very aware I'm very much in the minority.

If you really think there is a bias dont let it dominate your life as some seem to, leave playing the victim card to other fans - focus your frustration on supporting the team, instead of inventing scenarios to support your theories (Drogba not winning a player of the month - I mean, seriously...?) channel the engeries in a positive manner or it will take over your life!

We just need to get on with it, f**k em all ...

Edited by bjd