Chelsea vs. The Media

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Remember when we went on that run of not conceding and were labelled boring by the media and the Sun did that campaign for someone to score a goal againt us? I'm starting to get the feeling the same sort of thing could happen with our unbeaten run. It's funny because the media didn't label Man Utd boring when they went on a record run of clean sheets or wanted Arsenal to lose when they were undefeated.

One thing I've noticed is how bad the commentary has been towards us, most notably in the Sunderland game. Itwas some of the worst I've heard all season, Martin Tyler was a flat out disgrace. When Sunderland players were diving he acted like it was a freekick, when Costa was unfairly booked he acted like it should have been a straight red, etc etc.

Anyone else get the feeling that they're all turning on us again?

nature of the beast i'm afraid...they started the whole 'arsenal invincibles' talk after just six games and while jose keeps saying it's impossible, you just know the headlines on sky and in papers will read 'not as good as Invincibles', 'chelsea fail' when we do lose...

had to laugh on saturday when ruud gullit named and shamed the sky host, saying he was jumping up and down during the game wanting sunderland to score and said 'you should be neutral'...the guy blushed and gave a quick unconvincing comment to camera that sky are always impartial

Edited by The Brit

Also getting some great comments from pundits which in many cases I think are OTT. Negative comments always seem to stand out when it's against the team you support. I've heard Liverpool supporters, of all people, complain about the way the media treat them and we all know what a 'love in' the media have with those fools.

Agree with you about Tyler though, he does seem to have a bit of an agenda, or is it just my paranoia.

had to laugh on saturday when ruud gullit named and shamed the sky host, saying he was jumping up and down during the game wanting sunderland to score and said 'you should be neutral'...the guy blushed and gave a quick unconvincing comment to camera that sky are always impartial

I didn't quite catch that at the time - I knew Ruud had said something but I think I was just coming back into the room or something.  I love Ruud.

I think most fans think their team are hard done by. I tend to forget about what is said straight after because its only someone opinion, it doesnt make it fact. Also the older ones are just past it. You see what a stand up job that GN is doing on sky, they really should have a shake up and move on the old timers and bring in some recent ex pros who are up to date what the world of football.

The press can't wait for us to screw up, its not just us though, I think there was a lot of media glee over Manu's disaster last year, Wenger is getting his fair share of stick too.

However when Liverpool lost the title last year, I thought the media were going to hold a national day of mourning...

As for Tyler (I know I have mentioned this before) I think he was commentating when Crespo scored a last minute goal against Wigan and he (Tyler) screamed

"OH NO........ (pause).... for Wigan, oh yes for Chelsea"

He was clearly gutted that we'd scored, and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

No. 

When teams are successful, people like to see them slip up and it doesn't matter whether it's Us, Utd, City whoever.

nature of the beast i'm afraid...they started the whole 'arsenal invincibles' talk after just six games and while jose keeps saying it's impossible, you just know the headlines on sky and in papers will read 'not as good as Invincibles', 'chelsea fail' when we do lose...

Missed this , who was he having a dig at

The press can't wait for us to screw up, its not just us though, I think there was a lot of media glee over Manu's disaster last year, Wenger is getting his fair share of stick too.

However when Liverpool lost the title last year, I thought the media were going to hold a national day of mourning...

As for Tyler (I know I have mentioned this before) I think he was commentating when Crespo scored a last minute goal against Wigan and he (Tyler) screamed

"OH NO........ (pause).... for Wigan, oh yes for Chelsea"

He was clearly gutted that we'd scored, and I laughed and laughed and laughed.

Tyler is a w**ker but to be fair, it's just the normal attitude to support the underdog. I know he's meant to be neutral but if it doesn't affect your club, it's just normal to support the team lower down.

Remember when we went on that run of not conceding and were labelled boring by the media and the Sun did that campaign for someone to score a goal againt us? I'm starting to get the feeling the same sort of thing could happen with our unbeaten run. It's funny because the media didn't label Man Utd boring when they went on a record run of clean sheets or wanted Arsenal to lose when they were undefeated.

One thing I've noticed is how bad the commentary has been towards us, most notably in the Sunderland game. Itwas some of the worst I've heard all season, Martin Tyler was a flat out disgrace. When Sunderland players were diving he acted like it was a freekick, when Costa was unfairly booked he acted like it should have been a straight red, etc etc.

I honestly believe Sky have worked out that their subscribers are predominantly Liverpool or United fans (although City don't get the treatment we get) and so Chelsea being the club they love to hate seems to be the theme constantly.  I think the last "pro-Chelsea" commentary I can recall was the Champions League final in 2012 when of course we were the plucky English club taking on the Bosch 

Edited by carrickblue

I stopped caring about what the media thought of us a long time! They're just jealous of the fact that we're on top and playing some great football at the moment.

CHELSEA DOMINATION! ENVY OF THE NATION! :biggrin:

Edited by Jezz

I laugh at how Chelsea have been criticised for 'parking the bus' in the past...yet when West Brom or Sunderland get bodies back in defence against us it is 'resolute' and 'gutsy'. I expect nothing else and don't blame them for it as they'd get battered otherwise...but then if you play expansively against Barca you get battered so why the criticism?

I love the anti-chelsea slant in the papers and on tv personally. Especially when my mates reel it off to me almost word for word, as if it's the defining statement on english football. Only takes 2 minutes to set them straight mind.

Build em up to knock em down, the usual media bollocks.

Yep, nothing more to it than that. Let's not embarrass ourselves by looking for conspiracy theories of there being an 'anti-Chelsea' bent to the the media. 

Edited by Blue Daze

What I dont get is they myth which still circulates of chelsea being the first big spending club. United and Liverpool spent a lot when they were successful. Barca and Real have spent a lot of money and talent and not everyone hates them. Bizarre! 

Because we were the first club in recent times with a "sugar daddy". The rest of those clubs had high revenues.

No one mentions Arsenal's crook of a sugar daddy in the early twentieth century though.