Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2016/2017

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Everton close to agreeing a deal to sign Sunderland's Jordan Pickford for £30m. 
Could be an astute signing in the long term but crazy to think that goalkeepers are now worth so much money. 

Pickford's move to Everton is £18m up front, plus a further £12m based on how successful the club is over next few years. So, £18m then.

6 minutes ago, JoseBlues said:

Pickford's move to Everton is £18m up front, plus a further £12m based on how successful the club is over next few years. So, £18m then.

Still £18m for what is by all accounts is a very inexperienced goalkeeper is surprising. 

£18m makes him the third most expensive keeper of all time in the league doesn't it?

Still £18m for what is by all accounts is a very inexperienced goalkeeper is surprising. 
£18m makes him the third most expensive keeper of all time in the league doesn't it?

I just saw 25 + 5 on sky website. Could be more accurate.

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

How much did we pay for Cudicini, Cech and Courtois ?

Whatever it was, you can guarantee all 3 were a bargain.

We have great luck/scouts when it comes down to goalkeepers. Or that our scouts are the superstitious sort that actively looks for 1st team keepers whose surnames start with the letter C. I mean who'd a thunk relative no-names would perform at the world stage at a young age for keepers

West Ham will be unable to play their first scheduled home game of the season against Southampton on 19 August because the London Stadium will not be ready after hosting this summer’s World Athletics Championships.

The world championships finish on Sunday 13 August and West Ham confirmed after the Premier League fixtures for 2017-18 had been released that their first home game will be against Huddersfield Town on 9 September. The time involved in restoring rows of seats which had to be moved to accommodate the running track is such that the stadium will not be in a state to host the match.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/14/premier-league-fixtures-2017-18-chelsea-burnley-tottenham-newcastle-chelsea-liverpool

Tin pot club. 

6 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

Tax is theft no matter how much you earn.

Well that's a lie. The footpaths you walk on, the people who clean the streets, the police, nurses, terrestrial television, roads, airports, internet infrastructure, and any multitude of other things do not just appear out of thin air for your convenience. You pay for the facilities in the country you live and work in. 

I'm laughing at all the United fans who thought Griezmann was in the bag from January now that he's signed his extension

23 hours ago, Deino said:

We have great luck/scouts when it comes down to goalkeepers. Or that our scouts are the superstitious sort that actively looks for 1st team keepers whose surnames start with the letter C. I mean who'd a thunk relative no-names would perform at the world stage at a young age for keepers

Cudicini was a visionary transfer and we acted quick to get Courtois, but Cech was hardly a no-name player when we bought him. He was was a full international keeper even at such a young age and he kept four clean sheets in six UCL first group stage matches in 2001/2002 with one of them away against Bayern München. Actually... Cech didn't concede until the fifth group stage match that season. I heard rumours of Arsenal being after him and I was hoping Chelsea would somehow get him. This was before Roman came along. I was so happy when he signed.

8 hours ago, Charles Ryder said:

£300k, £7 mil, €9 mil.

That works out to be not even £15 million for three of our greatest ever goalkeepers. Different times I know but still staggering. Personally, I think the people who have been in charge of recruiting our keepers are geniuses. We've pretty much paid peanuts for the likes of Begovi? and Schwarzer. Not to mention we persuaded goalies like Magnus Hedman, Marco Amelia and Eduardo to train with us, sit in the stands and, you know, MAYBE make the bench...