Christian Pulisic - Official

8 minutes ago, Deino said:

He just needs to be managed properly. Lamps high pressing might be having an adverse effect long term so maybe have Pulisic ease up on the defensive side of things or maybe have him be restricted to only 60minutes per game.

Either that or he's going to have to be rotated so as to not let him play in too many games over the course of a week.  

Unless he is able to work his way past it, you might just have to simply manage how many minutes you have him in the pitch in the course of a week.  Maybe he can do 2 games a week safely but you start adding in that 3rd game, maybe you have to hold him out or play him as a sub.  

Edited by Valpo

Well, let's see. I'm sure the club has some excellent minds working to get him playing consistently. Even if some of us did understand the human body well, we hardly know the finer details of his injuries/recovery processes. What we can say is that he is injury prone but would assume that the club is working hard to get around this 🙂 Even Robben managed to overcome this to a large extent as his career progressed.

6 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Here is the problem.  This could probably be done contractually. . . but no player of any high caliber would sign for you.  

Top players have a lot of bargaining power, that's why they make so much darn money in the first place.  So one thing that is in there to the point that it's the standard is that players get paid while hurt.  

It's not a size issue it's them being able stand up to the stress.  And the stress can compile too.  When you use a muscle heavily you damage it, if the muscle isn't able to repair itself before you use it again than the damage you do to it just piles up until it causes an injury like this.

I don't think there is any real easy solutions.  Perhaps some work on flexibility or just increasing his fitness levels might help.  But it's certainly not something that is going to be fixed in the weight room.  

Quite frankly and this is true of all professional sports, I think the fans look at injury issues and feel like they can be prevented through proper training.  And that might be true to some extent but there is only so much that can be done in that regard.  Pro-teams employ the best trainers in the world to look after their players.  I mean if you are paying the player millions per year, an extra 50k to 100k to keep him on the field is NOTHING  If there is something they can do to help prevent injury I'm sure they are doing it.  

Exactly! It's not like the players are back to 100% fit every time the game ends and carried to recovery pods. 

5 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Either that or he's going to have to be rotated so as to not let him play in too many games over the course of a week.  

Unless he is able to work his way past it, you might just have to simply manage how many minutes you have him in the pitch in the course of a week.  Maybe he can do 2 games a week safely but you start adding in that 3rd game, maybe you have to hold him out or play him as a sub.  

Most probably. For the time being, Lamps really need to watch how he's using Pulisic until Pulisic gets over all the injuries and niggles

4 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Well, let's see. I'm sure the club has some excellent minds working to get him playing consistently. Even if some of us did understand the human body well, we hardly know the finer details of his injuries/recovery processes. What we can say is that he is injury prone but would assume that the club is working hard to get around this 🙂 Even Robben managed to overcome this to a large extent as his career progressed.

He was still injured from time to time but I believe that the winter breaks in the Bundesliga helped a lot in prolonging his career.

3 minutes ago, ashwin said:

That's essentially my thought.  Pro-teams are employing the best trainers in the world to keep their athletes in the best shape and keep them on the field.  If there is something that can be done, I'm sure they are doing it. 

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Muscle injuries doesn't have a set period of time. All it takes is an extra strain on an already overworked muscle. We were playing 3 matches per week at that point, with Pulisic sprinting up and down the field, it was almost inevitable.

Aguero and Hazard are different in that they don't sprint up and down the field either. Pulisic keeps busting a gut during offense and defense. 

It's not as simple as add more muscle strength = less injuries. Pulisic is young, he is in the final stages of his growth spurts, he needs to be given ample time to rest and recover. There's no need to immediately add muscle strength. 

Plenty of players get by with having normal-ish sized thighs and plenty of muscular footballers are saddled with niggling injuries. 

Well obviously it's not as simple but I see a big problem potentially in the making here because he's our number 10 already and he is still young but having injury problems and I have felt that in the last 8-10 games or so last season we relied on him heavily.

When you put all that together it's a bit hard to see where he will get the needed rest because from now on we will be counting on him to play regularly and to keep contriburing from where he left, prior to his injury he was basically our best attacker.

55 minutes ago, Valpo said:

It's not a size issue it's them being able stand up to the stress.  And the stress can compile too.  When you use a muscle heavily you damage it, if the muscle isn't able to repair itself before you use it again than the damage you do to it just piles up until it causes an injury like this.

I don't think there is any real easy solutions.  Perhaps some work on flexibility or just increasing his fitness levels might help.  But it's certainly not something that is going to be fixed in the weight room.  

Quite frankly and this is true of all professional sports, I think the fans look at injury issues and feel like they can be prevented through proper training.  And that might be true to some extent but there is only so much that can be done in that regard.  Pro-teams employ the best trainers in the world to look after their players.  I mean if you are paying the player millions per year, an extra 50k to 100k to keep him on the field is NOTHING  If there is something they can do to help prevent injury I'm sure they are doing it.  

1 hour ago, DumbYank said:

Well Thomas Mueller looks like a friggin bean pole from the Geek Squad of Best Buy and plays all the time.  You can't really tell about injury proneness from what someone looks like.  I think it's probably primarily genetic.

These guys surely have genius trainers that plan their workouts for them don't they?

As a fan all I can do is to hope for the best, I mean if those trainers can't help him enough then probably nobody can. The only thing that might be an issue is the pressure that is on him to come back and perform, but I guess people around him know what they are doing, after all he did come back for training and then it was reported that he felt some discomfort and that's where we are right now so... Hoping it all works out and he gets in form again after a few games. 

8 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

As a fan all I can do is to hope for the best, I mean if those trainers can't help him enough then probably nobody can. The only thing that might be an issue is the pressure that is on him to come back and perform, but I guess people around him know what they are doing, after all he did come back for training and then it was reported that he felt some discomfort and that's where we are right now so... Hoping it all works out and he gets in form again after a few games. 

I think he's just so damn explosive too.  I think he will be fine.  He's very young.  He hasn't got his "man strength" yet.  It's easy to forget how young these guys are some time.  

8 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Just 22, wow.

At the same age, Cristiano Ronaldo was an inconsistent stepover merchant and his own fans were still crying that Chelsea signed Robben over them.

To be fair I'm pretty sure Robben was already half bald by that age.

20 hours ago, Deino said:

Muscle injuries doesn't have a set period of time. All it takes is an extra strain on an already overworked muscle. We were playing 3 matches per week at that point, with Pulisic sprinting up and down the field, it was almost inevitable.

Aguero and Hazard are different in that they don't sprint up and down the field either. Pulisic keeps busting a gut during offense and defense. 

It's not as simple as add more muscle strength = less injuries. Pulisic is young, he is in the final stages of his growth spurts, he needs to be given ample time to rest and recover. There's no need to immediately add muscle strength. 

Plenty of players get by with having normal-ish sized thighs and plenty of muscular footballers are saddled with niggling injuries. 

He's talking rubbish. If Pulisic was to bulk up, he would also become heavier and accelerating to a sprint will require those muscles to work harder. He would be harder to shake off the ball but would lose some degree of agility.

6 hours ago, bluedave said:

He's talking rubbish. If Pulisic was to bulk up, he would also become heavier and accelerating to a sprint will require those muscles to work harder. He would be harder to shake off the ball but would lose some degree of agility.

That's not true at all. Have you see Adama Traore or Usain Bolt, or a male gymnast?

You actually need fast-twitch muscle to be agile. You need them to push and pull bodyweight in a fraction of a second.

1 hour ago, SydneyChelsea said:

That's not true at all. Have you see Adama Traore or Usain Bolt, or a male gymnast?

You actually need fast-twitch muscle to be agile. You need them to push and pull bodyweight in a fraction of a second.

It's just Newton's 2nd law. Due to their weight, their muscles have to work harder in order to accelerate and change direction, which is often when footballers get injured. The argument here is actually that becoming bulkier probably wouldn't do much to stop Pulisic getting injured so much. 

I never said that he should gain fat I said muscle, to have stronger muscle should help him out that's a pretty straight forward idea... If he was to gain weight it's on muscle that is stronger and capable of handing his own movements and sprinting, I mean if the muscle is weak and he gets injured as he is now, having an increase of strength can only help. 

I am reading that while he won't be ready for the game on Saturday, Lampard is hoping to have him ready in the next week or 2.  

So maybe he will be ready to play against Crystal Palace on 10/3.  If not I would think he should be ready to go for the 10/17 match against Southhampton.