Super Frank Lampard

ForeverCarefree

Sack or Back ???  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Sack or Back Frank ?

• Sack now.
    • Back until the end of the season, unless relegation dooms, then evaluate.

Good luck to Frank if he gets the Newcastle job, no doubt he deserve another go in the top flight. The Newcastle job is not as enticing as it looks, at least in the first 6-12 months. Sure, you have money to burn, most likely you get players who's after a huge pay day, who would be too good for the club if not for the money. Do we expect the likes of Coutinho to say it's a dream come true to come to a huge club like Newcastle 🤔

3 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Good luck to Frank if he gets the Newcastle job, no doubt he deserve another go in the top flight. The Newcastle job is not as enticing as it looks, at least in the first 6-12 months. Sure, you have money to burn, most likely you get players who's after a huge pay day, who would be too good for the club if not for the money. Do we expect the likes of Coutinho to say it's a dream come true to come to a huge club like Newcastle 🤔

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2021/10/12/breaking-messi-bids-tearful-goodbye-to-psg-ahead-of-newcastle-move-/

As for Lamps the only thing this job would do is guarantee a nice pay off in 12 to 18 months time. The first new manager will undoubtedly be a sacrificial lamb, his job will be to get the project underway, ready for a more experienced coach to come into place when silverware is more achievable.   

2 hours ago, charierre said:

https://news.paddypower.com/football/2021/10/12/breaking-messi-bids-tearful-goodbye-to-psg-ahead-of-newcastle-move-/

As for Lamps the only thing this job would do is guarantee a nice pay off in 12 to 18 months time. The first new manager will undoubtedly be a sacrificial lamb, his job will be to get the project underway, ready for a more experienced coach to come into place when silverware is more achievable.   

I'd be all over that job as a manager. 

Massive transfer budget to work with. Likely to get a massive wage increase and then you just know you're going to get a bumper pay off at the end of it. 

What's not to love about that job right now? You basically have to stop Newcastle being relegation candidates and finishing mid table next season whilst being allowed to spend a small fortune. 

19 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Massive transfer budget to work with. Likely to get a massive wage increase and then you just know you're going to get a bumper pay off at the end of it. 

What's not to love about that job right now? You basically have to stop Newcastle being relegation candidates and finishing mid table next season whilst being allowed to spend a small fortune. 

If we exclude the possible wages I don't think this is the job for him. The pressure would be massive and it is not what he needs right now in his career.

Relegation battle this season is going to be very tough for Newcastle, don't forget they haven't won a game yet and some things can't change overnight. I think what Bruce has done so far with this squad and in these circumstances, with an aura of negativity around the club, is not appreciated enough. If you ask me I would keep him at least until the end of this season. That is the least he deserves. 

As for Frank, I was hoping that Palace would bring him in the summer. They've got some talented players with lots of potential and he's proved he can bring the best out of youngsters. It would have been a great working atmosphere for him to continue his development, something like in Derby but on a higher level.

5 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Remember Manchester City 10 years ago?

4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

It’s a good night out in the city centre after the match too.

Edited by charierre

On 11/10/2021 at 20:30, Sindre said:

Feels like it very rarely works out for the first managerial appointment for these "projects" that Newcastle are about to take on.

Romans first actual appointment bucking that trend but old Jose inherited a pretty amazing team from Claudio and not a bunch of relegation cloggers.  

7 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I don't know how accurate the mirror is as a source but they are reporting that the new owners are not going to be dropping a huge ton of cash into the transfer budget.

According to this it's 100 million quid over the next 4 years, so basically 25 million quid per year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-owners-transfer-spending-investment-25215345

1 hour ago, Valpo said:

I don't know how accurate the mirror is as a source but they are reporting that the new owners are not going to be dropping a huge ton of cash into the transfer budget.

According to this it's 100 million quid over the next 4 years, so basically 25 million quid per year.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-owners-transfer-spending-investment-25215345

Drinkwater will be delighted as a new magpipe

• 2 weeks later...

i am glad SFL moved on when he did  looking at how shambolic it is at utd. We remember him for getting us Mount, Reece. Showing us the capabilities of Cobham... Probably the worst under him was Bayern.. glad we never had to witness a 5-0 like this.. even when we lost 5-3 to Pool it was 4-3 and we had a chance to equal it.. 

Sad Ole might get sacked now.

26 minutes ago, Jangz said:

i am glad SFL moved on when he did  looking at how shambolic it is at utd. We remember him for getting us Mount, Reece. Showing us the capabilities of Cobham... Probably the worst under him was Bayern.. glad we never had to witness a 5-0 like this.. even when we lost 5-3 to Pool it was 4-3 and we had a chance to equal it.. 

Sad Ole might get sacked now.

Funnily enough we weren't that bad defensively at the end of Frank's tenure (probably thanks to Edou and Silva more than Frank but still).

It was the lack of attacking tactics (well that was certainly the main thing that turned me), we had no game plan other than to throw it in the mixer and it was utterly eye bleeding to watch. 

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Funnily enough we weren't that bad defensively at the end of Frank's tenure (probably thanks to Edou and Silva more than Frank but still).

It was the lack of attacking tactics (well that was certainly the main thing that turned me), we had no game plan other than to throw it in the mixer and it was utterly eye bleeding to watch. 

For me the biggest annoyance was the poor defending as soon as we lose the ball, simple counter-attacks killed us too many times. Tuchel made sure that stopped happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Know a lot of Norwich season ticket holders where I live and they are very excited about Lamps becoming their next manager.

Risky one for SFL if he does take it. Really can't see too many worse teams than Norwich in the PL and think they are destined for the drop whoever takes over. If he had got the job back in the summer and had the chance to put together his own squad fine. He would be better taking it AFTER they get relegated and then look to get them straight back up, with a few CFC loanees. 

I know he wants to get back in football and Norwich is a great little club, but would give this one a miss right now unless the board are already accepting they are likely to go down and giving him time to build for a few seasons. 

13 hours ago, Nibs said:

Know a lot of Norwich season ticket holders where I live and they are very excited about Lamps becoming their next manager.

Risky one for SFL if he does take it. Really can't see too many worse teams than Norwich in the PL and think they are destined for the drop whoever takes over. If he had got the job back in the summer and had the chance to put together his own squad fine. He would be better taking it AFTER they get relegated and then look to get them straight back up, with a few CFC loanees. 

I know he wants to get back in football and Norwich is a great little club, but would give this one a miss right now unless the board are already accepting they are likely to go down and giving him time to build for a few seasons. 

I actually would be better for him to take over now, at this point all he will need to do is get them playing good football and achieve somewhat respectable results, he literally has nothing to lose and everything to gain for now.

Assuming he doesn't pull off a miracle it will be next season where the big pressure will start, he will be expected to win that division.

Perhaps Frank is hoping he gets a call over Villa rather than Norwich.

Frank did well at Chelsea for 18 months.

Do Norwich have a budget, they have Pukki, Cantwell has been benched and they have that new exciting right back.

Of course they have Billy G. too.

Frank must know if Norwich go down his chances of a next job in the EPL might be very hard to get.

No guarantees with Villa either yet arguably a stronger squad and a few more points. 

Edited by strider6004

15 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Looks like he's back.

Will be exciting to see what he can do with them. 

Gerrard definitely got the better job. Villa has a decent squad and will be easy to keep them up.

Frank's task is next to impossible as that Norwich squad is poor.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Gerrard definitely got the better job. Villa has a decent squad and will be easy to keep them up.

Organising a defence is hardly his specialty either (arguably the opposite). He should be able to develop their younger players though and his name should pull players in January, so he does have a chance. I hope they stick with him even if they go down

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Honestly I don't even know why he took the job.  

They are almost certainly going to be relegated.

Edited by Valpo

59 minutes ago, Valpo said:

Honestly I don't even know why he took the job.  

They are almost certainly going to be relegated.

There's no big pressure on him this season barring playing good football and not falling to Derby 07/08 depths.

It will be next season (likely) back in the Champ where he will have to start getting results.

I presume Norwich would hire him to keep them in the PL. I can’t see the board saying 10 games into the season, “yeah it’s fine to be relegated”. There’s still enough points to play for. 

I read that Frank is willing to drop into the championship so it kind of makes sense. Norwich’s setup seems pretty decent as well. 

Frank does have the makings of a good manager, he just needs to find that ruthless streak with his teams. He seems to have lost in the big moments of games. 

7 minutes ago, JM7 said:

I presume Norwich would hire him to keep them in the PL. I can’t see the board saying 10 games into the season, “yeah it’s fine to be relegated”. There’s still enough points to play for. 

I read that Frank is willing to drop into the championship so it kind of makes sense. Norwich’s setup seems pretty decent as well. 

Frank does have the makings of a good manager, he just needs to find that ruthless streak with his teams. He seems to have lost in the big moments of games. 

Ofcourse they would prefer it, but Farke finished bottom last time and kept his job. His first job will be to make Norwich somewhat competitive like they were last time despite doing down (beating City, Everton, Leicester etc drawing to Arsenal and Spurs, running us and Liverpool close etc).

With the loan system the way it is we cannot help him out with more loans. Makes me wonder if there are sales we could do at a cheap price to improve their squad. Some of the reserves with buy back deals, maybe a player like Sarr or Barkley.