Real Madrid v Chelsea (CL Semi-Final 1st leg) Tue 27th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, axman2526 said:

Should be Tammy in the second leg. He has pace and is a much better finisher. If Madrid push on and we can counter Tammy is the best option.

But Kai can pass better and move better without the ball which is essential if we get so much space like we had in the first 20 minutes of this game. When he came on we immediately made a few thing happens in the final third and then he won us a free kick in a good area.

If you had watched Kai in Leverkusen he was really clinical on the counter attacks and he can assist like he did to Giroud vs Sevilla this season. Tammy can finish but so can Kai.

2 minutes ago, Browerkid said:

AX comeon ..Tammy is so far down TTs bench he can't even see him. Hes not starting a CL semifinal. 

Not saying he will, saying he should. 

Actually scratch that, he should have started today. We wanted pace to hurt them, tammy has it, and unlike Werner he can score simple chances.

Just now, Gol15 said:

But Kai can pass better and move better without the ball which is essential if we get so much space like we had in the first 20 minutes of this game. When he came on we immediately made a few thing happens in the final third and then he won us a free kick in a good area.

If you had watched Kai in Leverkusen he was really clinical on the counter attacks and he can assist like he did to Giroud vs Sevilla this season. Tammy can finish but so can Kai.

I think the reason Werner will likely start the second leg again is all about pressing. He misses but so do the others. His work off the ball is better. 

Kai for me is a bit unfocussed and in the big moments those lapses cost you. He gave the ball away in a really lazy moment with about 10 to go and then didn't immediately track back. This time that didn't hurt us, but we know that it can only take one moment and all of a sudden Iniesta is launching a stunner and you're going home in the 93rd minute after dominating the tie.

This is my concern. Some stood up tonight to be counted at this level. Others are nearly men. Nearly isn't enough at this level. 

2 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

If Real defend like they did second half I just dont see Kai moving through them. They were more like Porto at times and we know how Kai suffered against them.

1 minute ago, Spiller86 said:

I think the reason Werner will likely start the second leg again is all about pressing. He misses but so do the others. His work off the ball is better. 

Kai for me is a bit unfocussed and in the big moments those lapses cost you. He gave the ball away in a really lazy moment with about 10 to go and then didn't immediately track back. This time that didn't hurt us, but we know that it can only take one moment and all of a sudden Iniesta is launching a stunner and you're going home in the 93rd minute after dominating the tie.

This is my concern. Some stood up tonight to be counted at this level. Others are nearly men. Nearly isn't enough at this level. 

I think at the end of the day Tuchel must decide if he's overall gaining or losing something by playing Werner, sure his pace will be a factor in the second leg and also his work rate like you say but if he ruins 2 good chances and 2 decent ones then it might cost us the CL final because it's all about those details. Kai did lose the ball in the midfield to Kroos and that was bad but in an attacking sequence I prefer him over Timo.

Good result but we had the best chances and should have won it 2-1. Still, I would have taken a draw at the beginning, so not a bad result. But for me, the best was the team performance. We defended like a proper team and were fast in the attack breaking through their midfield with quick passes. If we play like this at the Bridge, I can see us going through. Well done to all the team, from coach to the subs.

Arghh jeez we were so flippin good. I am so proud of most of the team and TT against a really good, expierenced and cynical opponent.

Just so so frustrated we missed glorious chances to have one foot in the final. Holy sh*t.

5 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

If Real defend like they did second half I just dont see Kai moving through them. They were more like Porto at times and we know how Kai suffered against them.

It's possible that they have now learned a bit and that they will be more stable from the very start of the second leg but if the result doesn't change they will need to take real risks.

I am not sure that I am the first one to mention this on this thread, but I liked the referee, he did not call anything unless it was a real foul.  His face did not ring a bell to me as the usual suspects in the latter stages of a major competition - what country is he from?

Edited by Phillip

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Not saying he will, saying he should. 

Actually scratch that, he should have started today. We wanted pace to hurt them, tammy has it, and unlike Werner he can score simple chances.

Tammy hasnt got physical presence, and the likes of Marcelo or Militao would rob him every single time. He would spend more time on the floor than upright.

Just now, Phillip said:

I am not sure that I am the first one to mention this on this thread, but I liked the referee, he did not call anything unless it was a real foul.  His face did not ring a bell to me as the usual suspects in the stages of a major competition - what country is he from?

I believe Dutch. He did very well.

11 minutes ago, Deino said:

We sucker punched them but we didn't deliver the finishing blow. Now they'll be switched on from the start.

Need to keep the high tempo. Kroos and Modric couldn't live with Kante and their defence had to park the bus towards the end. 

I can say wholeheartedly that our side belongs in the CL. If only we had a midfielder that can score from range and a striker that can score half chances.

Mount can score those long range goals. Then we still need Havertz for good passes. Pulisic should be playing. And again I think Abraham can be a better option upfront than Werner.

So what three is it going to be upfront in the second leg? I think we need to change our 3-4-3 for this match. I think Madrid played 3-5-2 and so they did not allow us to operate from the wings where we normally play. When we tried to pick up our wingers, they normally had five players at the back. So it was difficult for our wingers to play. 

When James came in, I feel he wasn't able to play much. 

I really wish we can tactically come up with a new formation before next week. They will believe we will still play 3-4-3 and will want to use 3-5-2 to stop us, so if we can have a very good 4-3-3 like Kante Havertz and Mount in Midfield, and Ziyech, Pulisic and Abraham up front. 

Maybe we may be better.

5 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

It's possible that they have now learned a bit and that they will be more stable from the very start of the second leg but if the result doesn't change they will need to take real risks.

If they sit deep then that removes the threat of our pace, which to me would suggest Mount, Giroud and Ziyech as the best to crack them. 2 of those are still pretty fast.

6 minutes ago, Phillip said:

I am not sure that I am the first one to mention this on this thread, but I liked the referee, he did not call anything unless it was a real foul.  His face did not ring a bell to me as the usual suspects in the latter stages of a major competition - what country is he from?

Good point. He was very good.

25 minutes ago, Deino said:

We sucker punched them but we didn't deliver the finishing blow. Now they'll be switched on from the start.

Need to keep the high tempo. Kroos and Modric couldn't live with Kante and their defence had to park the bus towards the end. 

I can say wholeheartedly that our side belongs in the CL. If only we had a midfielder that can score from range and a striker that can score half chances.

Mount can score those long range goals. Then we still need Havertz for good passes. Pulisic should be playing. And again I think Abraham can be a better option upfront than Werner.

So what three is it going to be upfront in the second leg? I think we need to change our 3-4-3 for next week. I think Madrid played 3-5-2 and so they did not allow us to operate from the wings where we normally play. When we tried to pick up our wingers, they normally had five players at the back. So it was difficult for our wingers to play. 

When James came in, I feel he wasn't able to play much. 

I really wish we can tactically come up with a new formation before next week. They will believe we will still play 3-4-3 and will want to use 3-5-2 to stop us, so if we can have a very good 4-3-3 like Kante Havertz and Mount in Midfield, and Ziyech, Pulisic and Abraham up front. 

Maybe we may be better.