Denis Zakaria is a Chelsea man! *Official*

big blue
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

To be honest I think the injury prone narrative is a bit exaggerated with Zakaria, since his knee injury in 19/20 season he hasn't really had many issues at all if you disregard Covid and I'd say what is promising is that since that major knee injury (barring 1 game the season after) he hasn't had recurring problems with it.

89EA574C-0AFB-4425-B3BA-EAF4580E3EF1.thumb.jpeg.d997df1d50733ef6c93b64f61e592f6b.jpeg

Who are we supposed to get here, we have Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Gallagher already for two spots. We either buy a young guy with potential, or a top class player that can bump Kante or Jorginho down the pecking order. Our midfield looked like crap cause 2 are injured and a third was out on a red.. but why would any midfielder want to come here unless they are too young, recovering in form, or so good that they can bump one of kante or jorginho on a regular basis.

It's also hard to say Gilmour should have been given more if the best offer we got on him was 9 mil

I'd say buying a midfielder is a right decision, not sure Zakaria is the player with the right qualities. He was a big name in Bundesliga but many injuries during his career, didn't really make an impact at Juventus (many players failed to make something there to be honest).

Like most of the people here said, panic buy. But who knows how it will work out, good luck Zakaria!

Good (last sec DDay) signing! At least in theory. I remember him tearing it up at Gladbach in Germany with many Bayern fans wanting him to be signed. Not that worried he didn't succeed at Juve since that Club is all over the place but if we can bring him back on track soonish he'd be a very good squad addition.

15 minutes ago, weetee said:

Good (last sec DDay) signing! At least in theory. I remember him tearing it up at Gladbach in Germany with many Bayern fans wanting him to be signed. Not that worried he didn't succeed at Juve since that Club is all over the place but if we can bring him back on track soonish he'd be a very good squad addition.

From the way he describes his game he sounds more of an Essien, or maybe Ramires, given he likes to attack. That fair from what you have seen?

9 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

From the way he describes his game he sounds more of an Essien, or maybe Ramires, given he likes to attack. That fair from what you have seen?

I remember him being physically very imposing with excellent anticipation and good positioning so he looked like a rock and hard to come by. Think his passing game was good enough so that he could push forward at times as well and help in the oppos half of the pitch as well. Not sure I remember Essien or Ramires correctly (couldn't watch the PL as much then and mostly CL games) but they were pyhiscally not that impressive, right? More smart and athletic so got around very well. Ramires I would say no, Essien I dunno about. Zak I guess you could play as a CB if you want to (in a possession oriented system) - especially with a 3-at-the-back.

I'd like to think about him more of a Rodri light.

26 minutes ago, weetee said:

I remember him being physically very imposing with excellent anticipation and good positioning so he looked like a rock and hard to come by. Think his passing game was good enough so that he could push forward at times as well and help in the oppos half of the pitch as well. Not sure I remember Essien or Ramires correctly (couldn't watch the PL as much then and mostly CL games) but they were pyhiscally not that impressive, right? More smart and athletic so got around very well. Ramires I would say no, Essien I dunno about. Zak I guess you could play as a CB if you want to (in a possession oriented system) - especially with a 3-at-the-back.

More of a traditional DM in my view, without the drive of an Essien or Ramires. 

His close control isn't amazing, but he seems to use his size well to hold the ball. Also has this nice habit of shifting the ball quickly on to his right foot and playing neat little forward passes into space. Not a big expansive passing game bit he'll keep it ticking over. 

1 hour ago, weetee said:

Essien was a tank. We call Reece that now, and he is, but before his injury Essien was impossible to get off the ball. Despite his shorter stature he was all muscle. Injury stopped him from being an all time great comparable to anyone of his ilk.

9 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Essien was a tank. We call Reece that now, and he is, but before his injury Essien was impossible to get off the ball. Despite his shorter stature he was all muscle. Injury stopped him from being an all time great comparable to anyone of his ilk.

You could perhaps argue his tankness was later the cause of his injuries. His legs were just so massive that his knees couldn't manage.

We'll not see his like again I don't think.

1 hour ago, weetee said:

Ramires was possibly the most under appreciated player of the Abramovitch regime. On one of my few visits to Stamford Bridge he scored with absolutely electric pace for a midfielder. He also scored one of the greatest ever Chelsea goals, at least in the past 20 years. His passing not always brilliant but fantastic work rate and pitch coverage. Strong defensively as well.