Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 hours ago, stevo said:

f**king Manc pricks. Let's see where moanio gets next season. f**king nowhere is my guess. Blokes a spent force.  Antonio is a breath of fresh air. Moanio is yesterday's man. A has been. 

I find it amusing that certain Chelsea fans have now begun to use the "Moaninio" used by rival fans in years past that used to annoy us and have us defending Jose vehemently. There's no need to start calling the man names for no reason ffs.

3 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

I find it amusing that certain Chelsea fans have now begun to use the "Moaninio" used by rival fans in years past that used to annoy us and have us defending Jose vehemently. There's no need to start calling the man names for no reason ffs.

Precisely.  Respect Mourinho's achievements with us and although he left on a sour note, let's not resort to calling him names.

I felt Conte got it wrong today, poor team selection as soon as Matic starts everyone knows it means we fully intend to surrender possession to the opposition.

Costa prior to his goal was awful and the form Bats is in, he would have started for me, done well when he got the start in the semi final as well.

Disappointing, I love Conte but does i do have a slight concern relating to his records in cup competitions. He's clearly a fantastic league manager but at all clubs he's been at his records in domestic cups and the CL haven't been great. 

I'm not saying by any means he's not good enough but it is the one thing that plays on my mind.

Yeah didn't they say today that Conte has never won a cup competition and this is the second time he's lost a chance of a double?

Theres something about the big games that Conte seems to fear or get overly analytical. The players seem to freeze. 

I hope this acts a wake up call to board and reminds them that we need to spend big. The league win has really papered over the cracks and we need to invest. A double would have even more so. 

Guest Sindre

I wouldn't really call it a tendency as we beat United two out of three times, City in both ties, Arsenal at home and should have had Liverpool at Anfield for example.

But i do agree he sometimes could be a bit more cynical in certain situations. Would have a hard time explaining what happened today but its clear as day we need more quality all over the pitch.

49 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I wouldn't really call it a tendency as we beat United two out of three times, City in both ties, Arsenal at home and should have had Liverpool at Anfield for example.

But i do agree he sometimes could be a bit more cynical in certain situations. Would have a hard time explaining what happened today but its clear as day we need more quality all over the pitch.

We did, but the City games we massivlely rode our luck and could easily have lost by several goals, Spurs outplayed us completely as well don't forget.

This system is great against the majority of teams, but against the better sides, who can press you really well and who don't gift possession back to you easily, it is exploitable. At least, in its current state it is. With upgraded wingbacks, Matic as far from Stamford Bridge as possible and a few other additions, it could be better.

Even in past title winning seasons, obviously we've lost some games, but generally gone down fighting. That's several times this season we have been utterly outplayed and looked 2nd best for 90 minutes. Although, you also have to consider the mentaility of the team, this is the same team for the most part who capitulated last year in embarrasing fashion, so they are obviously not a mentally strong bunch. It's a shame, because looking back at teams of the past, we'll probably never have a team of such strong, big players like we had with Terry, Lampard, A.Cole, Drogba, Essien, etc...

Edited by Zeta

this reddit topic is a bit ridiculous. because he hasn't won a cup must mean his credibility as a coach is in question. not talking about the initial post, but the comments from other fans, especially a few juve fans. 

Edited by enigma

good response by someone on there though: 

"I think the whole European football thing is overblown, I'm not expecting Chelsea to win it next season, but I don't think we're going to be embarrassed or anything. Just looking at yesterday Arsenal got a huge head start with a goal that should've been disallowed, and in the second half when Chelsea were getting back into the game Moses made an unbelievably stupid decision that got him sent off. Two huge moments that Conte could do little about, though the fact that Arsenal were looking so much more motivated and desperate for the win yesterday could be put at Conte's feet, but on the other hand circumstances around both teams make it sort of understandable.

As for his European campaigns with Juventus, of which there were only two, his first year he lost in the Quarter Finals to eventual winners Bayern Munich having topped the group against Chelsea and Shakhtar Donetsk, and that was a f**king amazing Bayern team. Second season I can see why you can criticise, on paper Juventus should definitely have qualified out of the group as second place to Real Madrid. Contextually though the game that decided the group against Galatasaray was played under very odd circumstances, with it being originally called off after 30 minutes due to snow, and continued from that point the following day on this pitch. I dont think this totally excuses Conte, but it adds a bit of context, ultimately people are judging him in Europe off of a very small sample size though where I really don't think he's done that poorly as people make out.

Perhaps it's just the comparison of the fact he's won 4/4 league titles in his last 4 seasons so the expectation on him is super high to live up to that sort of winning record in Europe. Winning in Europe can be tough when you aren't at one of the three super clubs, and even at them (Guardiola Bayern, Mourinho Real Madrid), and worth looking at Ferguson with Man United. Took him 7-8 years to finally win the Champions League after his first Premier League title win, and then another 9 years after that to win a second one, and you could say both wins were by the skin of his teeth.

To sum up I basically think people are too eager to jump on Conte and say that he's sh*t in Europe."

Conte has a slight weakness. I've noticed it in the games we have lost this season.

Liverpool (H) 2-1 down

Arsenal (A) 3-0 down

West Ham (A) 1-0 down

Spurs (A) 1-0 down

Palace (H) 2-1 down

United (A) 1-0 down

Arsenal (N) 1-0 down

We have lost every single match we have been losing at HT. Maybe he overthinks things?

Guest Sindre
2 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

We have lost every single match we have been losing at HT. Maybe he overthinks things?

We turned it around against City at Etihad.

Just now, Sindre said:

We turned it around against City at Etihad.

How on earth did I forget about that game? Very true and I stand corrected although if not for KDB's howler we could have easily lost that game.

I still think my point stands firm, the moment we conceded the first yesterday I had a feeling we'd go on to lose.

Guest Sindre
4 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

How on earth did I forget about that game? Very true and I stand corrected although if not for KDB's howler we could have easily lost that game.

I still think my point stands firm, the moment we conceded the first yesterday I had a feeling we'd go on to lose.

I agree. There has been a tendency of panic and losing our heads when we go behind, especially after the turn of the year.

On 2017-5-28 at 10:35, JMaher94 said:

Conte has a slight weakness. I've noticed it in the games we have lost this season.

I don't think it's a case that he overthinks things personally.... for me we simply need more creativity from CM when we're behind (Kante only has a 1 PL assist this season). Perhaps may explain why we're reportedly looking at Verratti?

Edited by the special one

We did, but the City games we massivlely rode our luck and could easily have lost by several goals, Spurs outplayed us completely as well don't forget.
This system is great against the majority of teams, but against the better sides, who can press you really well and who don't gift possession back to you easily, it is exploitable. At least, in its current state it is. With upgraded wingbacks, Matic as far from Stamford Bridge as possible and a few other additions, it could be better.
Even in past title winning seasons, obviously we've lost some games, but generally gone down fighting. That's several times this season we have been utterly outplayed and looked 2nd best for 90 minutes. Although, you also have to consider the mentaility of the team, this is the same team for the most part who capitulated last year in embarrasing fashion, so they are obviously not a mentally strong bunch. It's a shame, because looking back at teams of the past, we'll probably never have a team of such strong, big players like we had with Terry, Lampard, A.Cole, Drogba, Essien, etc...

You're right there. Every so often (not too often TG) the ghost of the 2015/2016 team pokes in its ugly head.