Danny Drinkwater

5 minutes ago, Sindre said:

At this point i would take him too. Which is quite sad as we should be aiming so much higher than Danny Drinkwater but we need someone right now.
Can you imagine Kante gets injured in training this week? We'd have to face Burnley and Tottenham with Kyle Scott and Fabregas as our midfield pair..

Even WITH Kante we are going to struggle IF Cesc is playing next to him. 

Any midfield 2 with Cesc is going to get dominated if you have cesc in the 2.

Guest Sindre
14 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Even WITH Kante we are going to struggle IF Cesc is playing next to him. 

Any midfield 2 with Cesc is going to get dominated if you have cesc in the 2.

I agree. But Kante can at least hold it somewhat together.

initially the idea of Danny Drinkwater compared to say Renato Sanches or Marco Verrati or Arturo Vidal or Toni Kroos or Paul Pogba seemed l don't know... unambitious. But maybe it can be made to work. He did play with Kante at Leicester can attack a bit and run  a lot. 

I could live with Danny Drinkwater in the midfield.

Drinkwater, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Kante.  Maybe that's enough in central midfield.

2 hours ago, ozboy said:

initially the idea of Danny Drinkwater compared to say Renato Sanches or Marco Verrati or Arturo Vidal or Toni Kroos or Paul Pogba seemed l don't know... unambitious. But maybe it can be made to work. He did play with Kante at Leicester can attack a bit and run  a lot. 

I could live with Danny Drinkwater in the midfield.

Drinkwater, Fabregas, Bakayoko, Kante.  Maybe that's enough in central midfield.

He's just the sort of player Conte likes. Industrious, commited and not a renegade. As you pointed out, his partnership with Kante help produce a Premier League title for a limited team. His arrival would free up Bakayoko to move further forward, much the same as Matic's transfer to Manure will do for Pogba. I hope he comes.

23 minutes ago, Delnino said:

If Drinkwater is the height of our ambitions for CM, we're f**ked.

Kante leaving Leicester exposed Drinkwater for all he is, a bang average footballer who happened to be paired with an exceptional partner.

I'd prefer one of our own players be 4th choice CM, rather than spending 30m on Drinkwater.

Take away Cesc's passing and his bang average at everything else, too. Drinkwater and Kante did complement each other well at Leicester, so there's something to it. He's certainly good addition in terms of depth and he's homegrown. He's not the stuff the dreams are made of but if he's replacing Chalobah then at this point it's an upgrade, and we need to up the number of options in midfield. 

Yes, I'd like to get the likes of Veratti or Vidal, but if they're unavailable then I'd rather have Drinkwater than no-one at all. We're at a point when we're going into a new season with barely enough players to fill the subs' bench.

41 minutes ago, Zeta said:

If all we want for 4th choice is someone with a good engine who likes a tackle, there must be better options than Drinkwater, surely.

4th choice means potentially significant amount of time spent on the bench. What better players than Drinkwater are lining up to fill that spot?

Just now, abramovich said:

4th choice means potentially significant amount of time spent on the bench. What better players than Drinkwater are lining up to fill that spot?

Don't know, but the prices being quoted at about 35m, we must be able to find someone somewhere who can do that job for less than that. It seems like such a waste of money, especially when we've been quibbling over a few million here and there for other players.

18 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Don't know, but the prices being quoted at about 35m, we must be able to find someone somewhere who can do that job for less than that. It seems like such a waste of money, especially when we've been quibbling over a few million here and there for other players.

I doubt that's achievable in this highly overpriced market. Plus, we're counting on Bakayoko to be a success, but what if he's a bust or a walking injury like Wilshere? Then we're back to Kante-Cesc duo in the middle, and that's a season lasting nightmare. At least with Drinkwater you know what you're getting, he'll never be top quality but he knows the league, does his job well and it's a safe option. 

2 hours ago, Delnino said:

Kante leaving Leicester exposed Drinkwater for all he is, a bang average footballer who happened to be paired with an exceptional partner.

I'd prefer one of our own players be 4th choice CM, rather than spending 30m on Drinkwater.

Oh... another person commenting when they aren't qualified to do so.

Drinkwater was pretty much the ONLY player performing for the first half of last season, his form only dipped after picking up an injury. He played the season through it but had to keep withdrawing from the England squads due to the club trying to rest him.

Until we signed N'didi, he was trying to run the centre of the park on his own. Andy King and Amartey were his partners and completely useless.

Out side of the big three (Mahrez, Kante, Vardy) Drinkwater was the next best player by some considerable distance. He's a good player, and if he's seen as just 4th choice, then it's a decent fourth choice.

Yes, there is an argument for whether spending £30m+ on a 4th choice player when you could promote from within is wise, granted.

2 hours ago, Delnino said:

Then we need another manager as Conte does not seem to use young players coming through the ranks, which is why a number of us pragmatically can see he is probably the least worst option right now and time is running out. I read earlier someone asking if Bakayoko is another Wilshere, that would be very disappointing and cynically would explain the 'good deal', I hope that is not the case.

44 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I doubt that's achievable in this highly overpriced market. Plus, we're counting on Bakayoko to be a success, but what if he's a bust or a walking injury like Wilshere? Then we're back to Kante-Cesc duo in the middle, and that's a season lasting nightmare. At least with Drinkwater you know what you're getting, he'll never be top quality but he knows the league, does his job well and it's a safe option. 

Are you saying you can’t get a decent CM for £35m anymore? We are doomed then.

I feel it is lazy scouting and you will find better quality CMs in the French/German/La Liga at a fraction of that cost. Nzonzi /Bazoer /Seri /Diawara /Diousse /Locatelli can be bought at about the same price and are either better or have a higher upside. Why didn’t we hijack one of Neves/Tielemans/Kessie earlier in the summer? We all know how this plays out because hypothetically he comes here on a fatter pay package, come the end of the season he will demand a move because he needs to playing regularly.

I quite like Drinkwater as a player, I think he could do a decent job and would probably open up the possibility of playing two strikers up front as well. 

I think he'd get quite a lot of game time, especially as I think generally Conte wants to keep Fabregas away from the midfield two. 

47 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Let's be honest, Drinkwater is a pretty damn good player for a FOURTH choice midfielder.

There is a huge about of snobbery around English players at smaller clubs. I'm telling you now, he's better than someone like Dier at Spurs and he's vastly better than a lot of foreign muck that gets brought to these shores.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.07.26.png

6 minutes ago, foxedup said:

There is a huge about of snobbery around English players at smaller clubs. I'm telling you now, he's better than someone like Dier at Spurs and he's vastly better than a lot of foreign muck that gets brought to these shores.

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 15.07.26.png

may I ask why you are comparing 2 players 16/17 stats with the other players 15/16 stats?

11 minutes ago, turnyitb said:

may I ask why you are comparing 2 players 16/17 stats with the other players 15/16 stats?

Because that is all three players best season in the last two years and the last time Drinkwater played with a decent CM partner and wasn't carrying an injury. 

You can compare last season if you wish and he still beats Dier on everything there, and that's playing in a team that's struggling and surrounded by inferior players.