Wigan get an official apology after defeat at the Bridge

Backbiter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/apr/10/wigan-apology-chelsea

I don't remember us getting an apology after Manure's two offside goals cost us the game earlier this season. In fact, the only time I can remember an official apology being issued was after we were awarded a pen at Klanfield a few years ago.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2319456/Rob-Styles-humiliated-for-penalty-blunder.html

That error was nothing like as bad as the one against QPR on Sunday, which was 3 mistakes in one: missed offside, pen wrongly awarded, red card wrongly awarded. Make that 4 mistakes - QPR's appeal has been rejected.

It must be something about refs making mistakes in Chelsea's favour. Otherwise, no apology can ever be issued.

Will we also get a phone call and an apology for the penalty we should have had for the hand ball and the wrong offside given against Torres?

http://www.guardian....apology-chelsea

I don't remember us getting an apology after Manure's two offside goals cost us the game earlier this season. In fact, the only time I can remember an official apology being issued was after we were awarded a pen at Klanfield a few years ago.

http://www.telegraph...ty-blunder.html

That error was nothing like as bad as the one against QPR on Sunday, which was 3 mistakes in one: missed offside, pen wrongly awarded, red card wrongly awarded. Make that 4 mistakes - QPR's appeal has been rejected.

It must be something about refs making mistakes in Chelsea's favour. Otherwise, no apology can ever be issued.

Exactly - the 2 offside goals that cost us the game, well thats 1 point dropped by the refs

-The 2 pens awarded by Webb in the fixture at the bridge were questionable at best, thats another 2 points dropped

- I don't even think I have to explain why the QPR refereeing performance was shocking, Another 2, possibly 3 points down the sh*tter there.

That makes 4/5 points dropped solely by refereeing mistakes. No apology and if we had those points we would be in 3rd place and not 6th.

All this hubub about f**k all...Yep they were unlucky but it happens to every team, more than once, every season..Just accept its part n parcel of the game...

It was also a game where decisions went against us too, so why werent we included in the apology.

This is a dangerous example to set - where do we draw the line?

I doubt there has been a single match in the history of football in which the referee got every decision 100% right; football is holistic and even something small like a throw-in or free kick decision going wrong could drastically alter the outcome of a game. In addition, it's not like we can know what would have happened had a decision gone differently; even if we had been awarded four penalties against Barca in that semi-final we might have missed them all. I can appreciate a referee wanting to 'make amends' for an error, but ultimately football is a cruel game and if you participate in it you really have to accept the fact that you're gonna get screwed over every now and again.

"Son, this world is rough, and if a man's gonna make it, he's gotta be tough"

I agree Plokoon. It sets a precedent that the referee's board will never be able to follow as the number of apologies they would have to give would result in the entire body of refs becoming a laughing stock. It also leads to exactly what we are seeing here, people asking why apologies for other decisions (often far worse than one clear offside and one marginal one) haven't been given.

And just to copy your aproach

'There's a man going round taking names,

And he decides who to free and who to blame.

Everybody won't be treated all the same,

There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.

When the man comes around.'

p.s. I have no problem with refs holding up their hands and admitting to making a mistake - in fact I would like it if they did his more often. However the referee's board issuing a formal apology is a big step too far.

p.s. I have no problem with refs holding up their hands and admitting to making a mistake - in fact I would like it if they did his more often. However the referee's board issuing a formal apology is a big step too far.

Write to them and complain, I'm sure they'll apologise

always seems to be a big issue when Chelsea get the benefit of decisions...there was more last night with the penalty given to us at Fulham...no mention of the Lampard pen that wasn't given in second half and I thought two footed tackles were penalised whether you make contact or not as it's dangerous play...wasn't torres sent off against swansea for his and he didn;t touch the guy :Connie_threaten:

Jose would have a field day with this.

Been sat here the last few mins contemplating his reply. Maybe something like ............."I think the FA must be sending our letters to Charlton FC by mistake."

Edited by coco

Did you see the 10 field players from Wigan all ganging up on the referee Jones after the goal stood? If it was us, we would have been charged for that, but since it was a non-Chelsea team, they get away with it.

f**k the FA!

…and tonight’s referee for the Wigan v ManU game is none other than the far-from-apologetic Phil Dowd!! All bases officially covered, plus a comfortable United lead at the top of the table, I’m going for a placatory draw for this one… with Mike Riley and Dave Whelan looking on benignly in the Directors Box.

Did you see the 10 field players from Wigan all ganging up on the referee Jones after the goal stood? If it was us, we would have been charged for that, but since it was a non-Chelsea team, they get away with it.

f**k the FA!

Yep, fook the FA, they ain't done us ANY favours with a 6 o' clock kick off Sunday, which could go to E/Time & Pens..then we face Barcelona!!!

Bunch o' MUGS!!!

Feel really sorry for Wigan. To be done out of at least 1 point, and possibly three by such descions is atrocious. If they get relegated by one point, those decisions could cost the club millions of pounds of lost revenue.

That being said, it is about time we had some calls go our way. They amount of times we get goals ruled out, or offside goals given against us is appaling.

Great to see Wigan beat Manure tonight. Hilarious to see Whisky-nose admitting Manure had a lucky break against QPR while claiming they had no lucky breaks v Wigan. Ignoring the fact that Wigan had a valid goal ruled out and Jonny Evans (yet again) outrageously escaped a second yellow.

Wigan's performance highlights how incredibly slow we are. They are hassled and harried Utd for 90mins & got a well deserved 3-points. The ball was constantly moving forward, none of the side-to-side, backward crap our boys dish out every time,