Time to go defensive again?

PraetorianGuard

No, defence is never the long term solution.

What you need in football is balance. Unfortunately, we have a lopsided team because we've spent £73m on the same type of player and ignored the middle of the park.

And the striker area

And the defence

Come on now, let's not go into full kneejerk overdrive. It was simply a case of picking the wrong team/midfield and our defence deciding not to turn up.

Not to mention the midfield didn't track back at all on the counterattacks, Atletico simply wanted more. If this sort of thing becomes a habit we can start talking about something being wrong with the tactics, but as it is the personnel is built to attack and they generally looked good when doing so.

A failed experiment that's got us 9 points out of 9 in the Premiership?

Exactly. While many of us wanted to win another European cup, we simply started out like an exhibition game and enough cannot be said about Falcao, the guy is a beast.

This is not an AVB situation guys, RDM knows exactly what to do and I predict a solid winning reaction at QPR next time out.

Firstly let me say this final on transfer deadline day was always going to cause dressing room and managerial upheaval.

Daniel Sturridge as Malouda, Beneyoun and Essien was not originally named in the squad for the game.

I know for absoulutel certain Danny Sturridge was wanted as a direct replacement for Andy Carrol at Liverpool. Chelsea agreed to a loan deal though providing we could agree a deal for a striker on deadline day and this is why along with Essien he travelled to Monaco.

Chelsea were negotiating for Remy before the Champions League draw as it became clear Porto and Bayer were not going to play ball over Hulk and Schurrie, this after Sturridge refused a new contract and told Chelsea he wanted a move to Liverpool.

RDM agreed to let Essien on loan when Gourlay and co. failed to compromise with West Ham over Beneyoun. The mooted move by Arsenal was correct but Chelsea knew of Jose's interest and preferred the move to Real Madrid as did Michael for that matter.

Sturridge was then placed on the subs bench late on with Essien and Malouda left out of the squad even though they travelled.

The reason being Chelsea in desperation for the signing of Remy offered Malouda in part exchange - then loan.

This to the point Gigi Salmon on Chelsea TV was holding out for news for at the time Chelsea intended keeping Sturridge and signing Remy late in the day.

So what I am saying is just maybe the squad lost focus a little on the game and RDM was making decisions on deadline day whilst preparing for the game - hardly helpful don't you all think ?

My only conclusion from what was an awful performance all over the pitch is that Ramires should never play in the three behind Torres.

Ok he did well in the Nou Camp and other games in emergency on the right but he is a box to box player with terrific lungs to get up and down and must be in the two in front of our defence.

Quite where that leaves Lampard and Mikel is anyone's guess but Romeu and Meireles must be licking their lips in anticipation.

As for Ivanovic he looks sluggish in this system and like Bosingwa before him gets caught up the pitch far too often.

Call me mad but I would like Luiz right back and JT alongside Cahill at QPR with Mata, Oscar and Hazard behind Torres.

As for Sturridge I want him out of Chelsea in January and I am certain RDM feels the same.

Get behind Robbie lads - he won us the Champions League and saved our existence !

Guest RFC_CFC

So Studge does not want to be here?

Well that's fine, thanks and goodbye Daniel.

The dilema is though do we play someone who is fishing for a move?

Why have we spent all this £££££ on attacking players, only to be worrying about defending ?

If we can't defend counter-attacks, we shouldn't lose the ball so easily in the first place, even Barca are pretty crap at defending on the counter, that's why they don't give up the ball. Robbie should be drilling them all week..."keep ball, keep ball, keep ball, keep ball........"

This is not an AVB situation guys, RDM knows exactly what to do and I predict a solid winning reaction at QPR next time out.

Firstly let me say this final on transfer deadline day was always going to cause dressing room and managerial upheaval.

Daniel Sturridge as Malouda, Beneyoun and Essien was not originally named in the squad for the game.

I know for absoulutel certain Danny Sturridge was wanted as a direct replacement for Andy Carrol at Liverpool. Chelsea agreed to a loan deal though providing we could agree a deal for a striker on deadline day and this is why along with Essien he travelled to Monaco.

Chelsea were negotiating for Remy before the Champions League draw as it became clear Porto and Bayer were not going to play ball over Hulk and Schurrie, this after Sturridge refused a new contract and told Chelsea he wanted a move to Liverpool.

RDM agreed to let Essien on loan when Gourlay and co. failed to compromise with West Ham over Beneyoun. The mooted move by Arsenal was correct but Chelsea knew of Jose's interest and preferred the move to Real Madrid as did Michael for that matter.

Sturridge was then placed on the subs bench late on with Essien and Malouda left out of the squad even though they travelled.

The reason being Chelsea in desperation for the signing of Remy offered Malouda in part exchange - then loan.

This to the point Gigi Salmon on Chelsea TV was holding out for news for at the time Chelsea intended keeping Sturridge and signing Remy late in the day.

So what I am saying is just maybe the squad lost focus a little on the game and RDM was making decisions on deadline day whilst preparing for the game - hardly helpful don't you all think ?

My only conclusion from what was an awful performance all over the pitch is that Ramires should never play in the three behind Torres.

Ok he did well in the Nou Camp and other games in emergency on the right but he is a box to box player with terrific lungs to get up and down and must be in the two in front of our defence.

Quite where that leaves Lampard and Mikel is anyone's guess but Romeu and Meireles must be licking their lips in anticipation.

As for Ivanovic he looks sluggish in this system and like Bosingwa before him gets caught up the pitch far too often.

Call me mad but I would like Luiz right back and JT alongside Cahill at QPR with Mata, Oscar and Hazard behind Torres.

As for Sturridge I want him out of Chelsea in January and I am certain RDM feels the same.

Get behind Robbie lads - he won us the Champions League and saved our existence !

Wait so Sturridge rejected a contract offer and said he wants to go to Liverpool?

Why does he want out, and why do you/RDM want him out?

A combination of not turning up and Mikel/Lampard being finally found out was key to our loss as it's clear they don't suit the current system when together, which is why selling Meireles is a diabolical move from the board. I think Ramires/Romeu should be tried out in the middle, Ramires was quality on the right last season but he's far more potent in central midfield, Oscar will also come into his own soon enough and hopefully be played behind the three of Marin/Mata/Hazard.

Archived