Our New Stadium

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I’m watching that BBC Salisbury Poisoning drama right now, the catalyst for Roman getting f**ked about with his visa and the plans being put on hold.

Give him his visa, thank him for what he’s done during the pandemic and get a £1 billion boost to the economy. Surely even Boris couldn’t f**k that up?

A £1bn construction project an a steady stream of extra international tourists getting expensive matchday packages should make it a no brainer.

But then how much is the political currency from being seen as being "tough on the Russians" worth to Boris...

14 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Yes because normal fans are irrelevant let's just get as many tourists in as we can they are the ones that matter most.

Unfortunately thats entirely true, those tourists are the fans all clubs are after, not the  average season ticket holder who goes to the game, watches it and spends hardly any more money. they want he corporate money, they want the tourist who rocks up to the megastore and spends a few hundred quid, then buys the programme, some beers and burgers in the ground. 

3 minutes ago, Peckham Blue said:

Serving some decent beer instead of that Singha sh*t would be a start.

Agree. As someone who enjoys real ale the choice of beer is terrible. I've read that on occasions that a small bar selling real ale has been set up but unfortunately never in the MHU where my seat is. If I do drink in the ground I usually have London Pride. Not brilliant but a lot better than Singha. 

29 minutes ago, dkw said:

Unfortunately thats entirely true, those tourists are the fans all clubs are after, not the  average season ticket holder who goes to the game, watches it and spends hardly any more money. they want he corporate money, they want the tourist who rocks up to the megastore and spends a few hundred quid, then buys the programme, some beers and burgers in the ground. 

The only diference between the tourist and the match-going fan is the shop and the prices they pay for the hospitality ticket because I go to SB with mates that buy the programme (one of my mates has been doing so since the 60s), drink beer inside and eat whatever rubbish they sell.

16 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Agree. As someone who enjoys real ale the choice of beer is terrible. I've read that on occasions that a small bar selling real ale has been set up but unfortunately never in the MHU where my seat is. If I do drink in the ground I usually have London Pride. Not brilliant but a lot better than Singha. 

I've been lucky enough to see those little stalls that sell real ale in the Shed Lower but they are very occasional. Otherwise, I drink London pride too.

On 23/06/2020 at 14:28, Munkworth said:

I’m watching that BBC Salisbury Poisoning drama right now, the catalyst for Roman getting f**ked about with his visa and the plans being put on hold.

Give him his visa, thank him for what he’s done during the pandemic and get a £1 billion boost to the economy. Surely even Boris couldn’t f**k that up?

On the bigger scene there is another proxy war kicking off in Libya with the Turks on one side and the Egyptians and Russians on the other.

I suspect there will be more demonsing of Russia on the horizon. 

8 hours ago, Shweaves said:

Not sure 'tough on the Russians' was Boris' idea though, didn't Theresa May start that? Hopefully Boris sees the potential gift horse and doesn't end up punching it in the mouth.

Boris should be good to Russia, after all they are his boss :laugh2:

4 hours ago, RMH said:

I've been lucky enough to see those little stalls that sell real ale in the Shed Lower but they are very occasional. Otherwise, I drink London pride too.

It’s a godsend when these pop up! Don’t normally drink at games (mainly because of the swill we serve) but I’ll treat myself if those stalls appear. 

God this new stadium really needs to come around ASAP. Just having the new superfast 5G from 3 is good enough considering I don't think I've ever got decent signal at the bridge, despite being in the middle of London.

Not sure why its taking this long to sort out, but clearly there are things in the background that we are not aware of. We just need to do what the ol Spurs did and play at Wembley for a couple seasons while SB gets redone

17 minutes ago, driller97 said:

God this new stadium really needs to come around ASAP. Just having the new superfast 5G from 3 is good enough considering I don't think I've ever got decent signal at the bridge, despite being in the middle of London.

Come on, the club have been offering free wifi for a while. If you can get on it and it works. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing we won't hear anything about the stadium for a while due to covid-19? I haven't been following this project closely but I remember when the battersea stadium proposal was turned down..... would have been one of the iconic stadiums in the world. The wait continues.

Edited by Marrone

12 hours ago, Dixon said:

Can't be that difficult to increase the capacity to  50,000 plus  a nice referb.  Don't need more than that imho.

Would be nice with one standing end (safe)ALA  Borussia Dortmond. As the quote goes 'build it and they will come'

.OIP.jpg.ce3612a312e1eec6d23935e6a995caf0.jpg

Edited by Kev56

1 minute ago, Kev56 said:

Would be nice with one standing end (safe)ALA  Borussia Dortmond.OIP.jpg.ce3612a312e1eec6d23935e6a995caf0.jpg

Build a new shed like that, and have home fans only. Spurs decided to do that in their White Elephant (I mean stadium), but it's a joke as they all sit there, and are filled with tourists, we'd have to do something to alleviate that issue if the sitting down tourist problem arose.

32 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

Would be nice with one standing end (safe)ALA  Borussia Dortmond. As the quote goes 'build it and they will come'

.OIP.jpg.ce3612a312e1eec6d23935e6a995caf0.jpg

I hope we'll have standing areas again at some point but i cannot ever see large areas like this being allowed again in England.   Having said that, it was too many fans being trapped in by the cages which caused the tragic deaths at Hilsborough, not the actual safety of the terrace.  

• 2 weeks later...

The Russian election interference report lays into business relationships with Russian oligarchs. We can probably say bye bye to any chance of us getting the new stadium, no way would you make an investment that size with the risk that you could be the target of political point scoring at any point.

16 hours ago, Dixon said:

I think this report will be the beginning of the end for RA at Chelsea. He'll never want to live here again, so selling up looks highly likely now.

The writing has been on the wall for a bit now unfortunately. Best we can hope for is new ownership that wants to win and is willing to invest. 

11 hours ago, HOUCHELFAN said:

The writing has been on the wall for a bit now unfortunately. Best we can hope for is new ownership that wants to win and is willing to invest. 

That will be a sad day indeed. But hey ho We're Chelsea.