Our New Stadium

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The next Chelsea Pitch Owners AGM will take place at Stamford Bridge at 2pm on Friday, 20 January 2023. Will go along and report back any news on redevelopment of the stadium.

With a new owner it will be interesting to know what his relationship with the CPO board is and any plans for redevelopment or even a move. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the current cost of everything and the complexity of our situation, I expect nothing at all to happen regards our home stadium.

But I do hope the supporters that get any say/influence in any plans don’t right off a new location. I know the Bridge as always been our home, but for nine months that was the case for me in my mothers womb. But it just was not practical or in my best interests to stay there forever.

1 hour ago, Snedger said:

With the current cost of everything and the complexity of our situation, I expect nothing at all to happen regards our home stadium.

But I do hope the supporters that get any say/influence in any plans don’t right off a new location. I know the Bridge as always been our home, but for nine months that was the case for me in my mothers womb. But it just was not practical or in my best interests to stay there forever.

It will be interesting to hear what is said at the next Chelsea Pitch Owners AGM. At last night's game I was chatting to a fellow CPO share holder and both us said that re-building the Shed End would be easier than re-developing the other three stands. Rebuilding the Shed End would probably require the Hotel and megastore to be knocked down. As for the MH I guess the railway line behind it would hamper redevelopment. As for the West and East stands as mentioned before they can't be built any higher. 

Earlier this year or was it last year the club bought up land from the Oswald Stoll next door. To help a redevelopment? The Earl's Court site has often been mentioned as an alternative to the Bridge. Not sure how popular that would be but not too far and just as easy to get to by public transport.

• 3 weeks later...

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Maybe our increased spending is due to the expense and time scale of developing the Bridge is proving to be too difficult.

What you think @Boynewill they put forward us moving form the Bridge?

I read or heard a rumour  - it may have been on here - that we could move to the Earl's Court site. Not sure if that could happen as I thought that Hammersmith and Fulham Council had earmarked the site for housing and probably shops. Unless of course there have been changes e.g. a developer has pulled out.

Yes, Stamford Bridge has been our home since 1905 and as @Snedger said the fans should have a say. Would a move to Earl's Court be an issue? It would not surprise me a move away from the Bridge was suggested. It will be interesting to know what fans think. It's less than a mile from Stamford Bridge and is easy to get to by underground. The CPO will also have a say given the nature of ownership at the club. I'm a CPO and it will be interesting to see what is said at next Friday's AGM. Could the club call in the loan to the CPO and/or demand any outstanding payments? Also could the club offer to buy shares of CPO members? Given the current financial circumstances a payment of let's say £2,000 a share would be tempting.

If we want to build a 60,000 stadium we would, in my view, have to dig down as we can't build higher given that there should be clear line of sight from a point in Richmond Park and St. Paul's Cathedral. Last year or was it the year before the club bought land from the neighbour, Oswald Stoll Mansions. Done to assist redevelopment of the ground? The hotel, restaurants and megastore would have to be knocked down. I'm not sure how much loss or revenue to the club that would entail. As for the hotel I understand that Ken Bates still has a flat in it. Could be object?

Someone may know the answer to this. Is the Shed Wall a listed "building"? If so, it would have to remain. That could impact on redevelopment.

Hopefully things will be a bit clearer at next Friday's CPO AGM and we will discover the club's intention about redevelopment and a possible permanent move from Stamford Bridge.

Edited by Boyne

1 hour ago, Andy2461 said:

Honestly I would be ok with going to Earl’s Court 

I also loved the plans that went through before Roman was forced to shelve them 

It makes sense on a number of levels. However there is still a part of me that sees a loose of identity particularly on a North/South divide.

It just rankles a bit that we would have Arsenal, Spuds, Chelsea and West Ham (not that they are elite) all in hew stadiums whilst Man Utd, Liverpool,  Newcastle are all still in their spiritual homes. I know it's sentimental bosh, but still.

If we moved to Earl’s Court that could be quite cool though as that site also has a large heritage as well.

45 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

It makes sense on a number of levels. However there is still a part of me that sees a loose of identity particularly on a North/South divide.

It just rankles a bit that we would have Arsenal, Spuds, Chelsea and West Ham (not that they are elite) all in hew stadiums whilst Man Utd, Liverpool,  Newcastle are all still in their spiritual homes. I know it's sentimental bosh, but still.

If we moved to Earl’s Court that could be quite cool though as that site also has a large heritage as well.

It's a lot easier to expand a stadium when it's in a slum! 

I went to the CPO AGM yesterday. There was about 60 people at the AGM and a number joining on line. 

In short, there was nothing to report on redevelopment of the ground. The club did though issue a statement to the CPO board before the AGM in essence the statement said that the club is committed to having a stadium fit for the club. That can be read in a number of ways. Last year - or was it the year before - it was announced that the club had put in a bid for land owned by our neighbour, the Oswald Stoll Mansions. I thought that the purchase had gone through but that isn't the case and offers are still being considered.

The CPO Board has had some discussions with the Club management and reported that relationships between the two are good.

The CPO was set up 25 years ago and in that time has repaid 20% of the loan from the club. Over the last few years activities to sell shares e.g. lunches and pitch-side presentations due to covid restrictions and the change of ownership of the club. It is hoped to step up the sale of shares with the return to "normality."

There some questions from those attending in person. There were no questions from those joining online. One questioner suggested that current CPO share holders pay an extra amount per month for the next three years to pay off the remainder of the loan. Not sure if that would work especially given the current financial circumstances. 

• 1 month later...

3 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Article on the telegraph about it all. You can use this site to get around the paywall. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/03/02/stamford-bridge-special-chelsea-stadium-decision-boehly/

I don’t like the referencing of 55,000, without a shadow of a doubt we should be matching Spurs & Arsenal at 60,000 as an absolute baseline minimum. 

I'd love to know how the club is planning to make their money back on any potential stadium rebuild.

I've seen figures up to £1.5 billion as being the likely cost of a Stamford Bridge overhaul, and I've also seen figures that Tottenham (for example) make £1m more than Chelsea per home fixture. If we take 28 home fixtures as an "average" for a season (assuming we are in Europe and have domestic cup runs), then we are missing out in simple maths on about £28m per season. £28m into £1.5 billion would be a ROI in about 54 years, and probably a lot more once you factor in interest payments.

Other than a stadium rebuild being a billionaire's vanity project, I don't really see how it adds up !

What am I missing ? 

8 hours ago, Term_X said:

I don’t like the referencing of 55,000, without a shadow of a doubt we should be matching Spurs & Arsenal at 60,000 as an absolute baseline minimum. 

We’re still limited by the size and usual restrictions of the site. I can’t remember what capacity Roman has approved in the end but it can’t be anymore than that unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Munkworth said:

We’re still limited by the size and usual restrictions of the site. I can’t remember what capacity Roman has approved in the end but it can’t be anymore than that unfortunately. 

All media reports had it as 60,000 back when Roman first released his plans. This is the first time I’ve seen 55,000 quoted in regards to the new stadium.

9 minutes ago, Term_X said:

All media reports had it as 60,000 back when Roman first released his plans. This is the first time I’ve seen 55,000 quoted in regards to the new stadium.

Well it’s all hearsay at the moment I suppose. 

If the ground is knocked down and a new one built I wonder if there will be hotel attached. It may have to be smaller than the current one but a hotel would bring in extra revenue for the club. Also at the moment there is the Under the Bridge club which is used for concerts etc. If the club decides to build down i.e. have a stadium similar to the Camp Nou where the lower tier is below street level. Could see no more Under the Bridge club unless that is built even lower than it is at the moment. Am not sure how much revenue Under the Bridge and the hotel - and restaurants - bring to the club but I guess the board are looking at all ways to bring in money.

I wonder if Chelsea will follow other clubs e.g. Spuds and the Pikeys and have other sports played there and also concerts. In the past a load of other sports have been played at the Bridge - I'm not aware of concerts - and again I wonder if it's something the club is looking at to raise revenue. Using Stamford Bridge for extra events would probably require the permission of the Police and also Hammersmith and Fulham Council and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Unless it is like Richmond Borough Council which limits the number of events which can be held at Twickenham.

I'm not aware of any proposals for Stamford Bridge for non-football events and it wasn't mentioned at the Chelsea Pitch Owners' AGM in January.