Our New Stadium

junio_oscarSY

If only we had gone through with the original plan... Imagine leaving Stamford Bridge for three years from 2019/20, returning to the new stadium for 2022/23. Would have been perfect timing with the pandemic.

Now it seems far, far away again. Should we do it? I don't know. Relocating for at least 3 seasons is a massive pain. Only thing I know is that if we want to do it Herzog and De Meuron have created the perfect plan. A monument of football, that in no way resembles a shopping mall or car park, and would still look fantastic 100 years from now.

• 3 months later...

With the Euros coming up and some matches taking place in England I was reminded of Stamford Bridge for some reason... maybe one day we will have a stadium that can host big events! Just a curious fan who is looking for any updates regarding the current situation. My guess is there won't be any major plans to rebuild the stadium in the next 2-3 years? 

Edited by Valhalla

Roman's decision not to build the stadium when he did (for his own reasons) has turned out to be the BEST financial decision he could have made. COVID, no crowds, reduced revenues etc, would have made the debt very difficult to service, if not impossible -  look at how our old mates in N17 are struggling 🤣

Roman's financial and accounting teams will be all over the potential ROI (return on investment) like a rash and should the UK government remove their political and childish visa ban, I am sure that the Planning consent can be revived.

Completely agree that timing was on our side given the pandemic.  That said, SB really is end of life as far as stadiums go, and I would love to see us revive plans to renovate or rebuild.  Great stadium, but by modern standards it is lagging.  Capacity is a misleading indicator, but even there we are 9th on PL list, and will be 10th when Everton complete Bramley-Moore.  Outside England, look across Spain or Italy and they're all moving ahead.  Fingers crossed this picks up again 

1 hour ago, PhilH930 said:

That said, SB really is end of life as far as stadiums go, and I would love to see us revive plans to renovate or rebuild. 

I know you probably mean that it’s not fit for purpose for a club of our stature but there are many stadiums in a much worse condition than The Bridge that are still going.

3 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I know you probably mean that it’s not fit for purpose for a club of our stature but there are many stadiums in a much worse condition than The Bridge that are still going.

Much better way of putting it. Agreed 

If this has been posted and commented on then I apologise but I had no idea there's going to be safe seating in the Shed (that's the rumour could be just new seats). For me one of the reasons the atmosphere suffered was putting away fans in the Shed far better when they were in the E/S Lower.

E2zBjE_WYAERiBr?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by bluehaze

31 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

If this has been posted and commented on then I apologise but I had no idea there's going to be safe seating in the Shed (that's the rumour could be just new seats). For me one of the reasons the atmosphere suffered was putting away fans in the Shed far better when they were in the E/S Lower.

E2zBjE_WYAERiBr?format=jpg&name=large

The rumours are trueish. They’re putting in rail seating in the Shed & MHL with a view to safe standing being given approval in the future. 

As a fat c**t I welcome the larger seating anyway :laugh2:

If the stadium is built do you think the club will aim to meet the standards required to host champions league finals and other events? At the moment I think only Wembely and spurs can host a final in London. 

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what the capacity will be next season 38,000 ? and will they have to be empty during Champions League games. As long as the atmosphere improves I'm all for it. Edit: Apparently the whole of the lower tiers of the Shed and MH will be safe seating.

Edited by bluehaze

12 hours ago, turnyitb said:

Anyone in the safe standing seats last night? How was it? 

In the shed lower it was the same kind of seats they’ve always had but with a rail in front of them which was quite handy to lean on throughout the game. Just needs a cup holder :laugh2:

Looks like the the seat folds back to the frame for the person behind you.

MHL looks like it will be done just in time for Palace. First 4-5 rows no seats and the north west corner is just concrete steps.