• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

I have not kept up on this whole situation as well as I should have. Is there some sort of law or construction code that prevents the club from building on to Stamford Bridge? Specifically thinking of adding seats by building it higher.

There are right to light issues with the neighbours. To add capacity in such a small plot of land requires digging down. Digging down requires a new stadium. 

Planning permission runs out in a few days, ( 31st March) can't see us reviving the new stadium plans. RA doesn't seem to want to renew his UK visa anyway, and doesn't even use the option on his Israeli passport to travel here. .

Dunno what the situation with his son is, I hope he stays as owner or.gifts it to the son..

52 minutes ago, kiwi1691 said:

There are right to light issues with the neighbours. To add capacity in such a small plot of land requires digging down. Digging down requires a new stadium. 

Also too many people exiting the stadium in the same direction hence the building over the railway line. 

8 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

I have not kept up on this whole situation as well as I should have. Is there some sort of law or construction code that prevents the club from building on to Stamford Bridge? Specifically thinking of adding seats by building it higher.

It will not be possible to make the East and West Stands higher as there is a law which states that there must be a clear line of sight from a point in Richmond Park to St. Paul's Cathedral. That line of sight runs through Stamford Bridge. I think that it's possible to make the Shed End higher but there may be problems with the North Stand due to the railway which runs behind it.

Get the impression there’s not going to be as much money in football post Virus.

Financial crash has got to affect TV subscriptions plus ST renewals, also think the transfer market will lower massively- bit obscene having 80 mill transfers when the worlds on its arse.

Semi Permanent player wage reduction has got to be on cards.

Any clubs that had plans to replace stands or rebuild must be on indefinite hold. Fulham’s Riverside Stand and Brentford’s exception because are well underway/ almost complete

4 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Get the impression there’s not going to be as much money in football post Virus.

Financial crash has got to affect TV subscriptions plus ST renewals, also think the transfer market will lower massively- bit obscene having 80 mill transfers when the worlds on its arse.

Semi Permanent player wage reduction has got to be on cards.

Any clubs that had plans to replace stands or rebuild must be on indefinite hold. Fulham’s Riverside Stand and Brentford’s exception because are well underway/ almost complete

I get the impression that post virus their will be opportunities for green (or blue) shoots to flourish, i hope the club can take advantage of it. Construction companies will need work, tradesmen will need work, materials should be cheaper with zero inflation, government will be desperate for growth, the club need to think positive, i know i will be, bound to be more season tickets available.

4 hours ago, coco said:

I get the impression that post virus their will be opportunities for green (or blue) shoots to flourish, i hope the club can take advantage of it. Construction companies will need work, tradesmen will need work, materials should be cheaper with zero inflation, government will be desperate for growth, the club need to think positive, i know i will be, bound to be more season tickets available.

I’m really hoping that last part is true!

Edited by Munkworth
8 hours ago, Boyne said:

It will not be possible to make the East and West Stands higher as there is a law which states that there must be a clear line of sight from a point in Richmond Park to St. Paul's Cathedral. That line of sight runs through Stamford Bridge. I think that it's possible to make the Shed End higher but there may be problems with the North Stand due to the railway which runs behind it.

Interesting point about the sightlines. I always assumed the height restrictions were about right to light for locals.

Shed End is probably the place where we could add significant seats. Its the lowest height and smallest stand. Demolishing the hotel and building a big single tier stand there might get us up closer to 50,000.

For me that means that we could keep playing while the construction happens as we did when they built the stands in the 90s. 

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/chelsea-stadium-planning-permission-expires-today-31-03-2020/

Imagine if Roman had pulled the trigger, right about now the project would be stopping with a nearly demolished bridge and a big hole in the ground where the pitch used to be, and the money starting to hemorrhage, a bit like the strike in the 70s when the East Stand was being built. His decision based on the Tories not renewing his visa looks even better now, as we see currently across town Mr. Levy hitting up Boris for some funds to pay staff wages at the lovely new shiny 1 billion pound (not paid off for a longtime) White Hart Lane.

On 31/03/2020 at 22:19, General said:

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/chelsea-stadium-planning-permission-expires-today-31-03-2020/

Imagine if Roman had pulled the trigger, right about now the project would be stopping with a nearly demolished bridge and a big hole in the ground where the pitch used to be, and the money starting to hemorrhage, a bit like the strike in the 70s when the East Stand was being built. His decision based on the Tories not renewing his visa looks even better now, as we see currently across town Mr. Levy hitting up Boris for some funds to pay staff wages at the lovely new shiny 1 billion pound (not paid off for a longtime) White Hart Lane.

We Could of been left high and dry at Wembley for years, have many happy memories of the bridge when it had running track and piss ridden terraces, so can put up with it now for many years to come, it's the bridge so who cares it's not as modern as other stadiums, if the predicted recession kicks in and football bubble bursts, Arsenal spurs and pikies will hark back to their smaller, compact stadiums that had at atmospheres when there half full. 

On 29/03/2020 at 21:06, Spiller86 said:

Interesting point about the sightlines. I always assumed the height restrictions were about right to light for locals.

Shed End is probably the place where we could add significant seats. Its the lowest height and smallest stand. Demolishing the hotel and building a big single tier stand there might get us up closer to 50,000.

For me that means that we could keep playing while the construction happens as we did when they built the stands in the 90s. 

Those are exactly my thoughts on the Shed stand. I've always found it a bit insulting that the one part of the ground that was always full when the club was on it's arse is the most inadequate when looking at the stadium as it is. Tear down the Bates vanity project and give us a Shed end, reserved for home support only, to be proud of.

On 31/03/2020 at 22:19, General said:

RA withdrew his visa application when there was a suggestion that Russians might have to explain the source of their wealth in the wake of the Salisbury poisonings. I'm so glad the stadium project wasn't started, it hasnt  done the other London clubs any favours by having larger stadiums , although Spurs saved money by ditching a trophy cabinet in the build  for the new stadium.

10 hours ago, MKBlue said:

Those are exactly my thoughts on the Shed stand. I've always found it a bit insulting that the one part of the ground that was always full when the club was on it's arse is the most inadequate when looking at the stadium as it is. Tear down the Bates vanity project and give us a Shed end, reserved for home support only, to be proud of.

Too true, it's the worst that the away fans are down there as well.

Home support only. Safe standing installed and if you're not loud then go sit somewhere else. Would go a huge way to helping the declining atmosphere too.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

Too true, it's the worst that the away fans are down there as well.

Home support only. Safe standing installed and if you're not loud then go sit somewhere else. Would go a huge way to helping the declining atmosphere too.

Whether we stay with the bridge as it is or redevelop it, we like many clubs will still have the problem who frequents it, I don't mean the hardcore but the theatre going tourist lot, that don't add anything to the atmosphere apart from pound notes in the club shop, while off at the moment watched some old 80's games on you tube, we had some passionate support in those days.

30 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Whether we stay with the bridge as it is or redevelop it, we like many clubs will still have the problem who frequents it, I don't mean the hardcore but the theatre going tourist lot, that don't add anything to the atmosphere apart from pound notes in the club shop, while off at the moment watched some old 80's games on you tube, we had some passionate support in those days.

Funny I was watching Chelsea v Liverpool from the last day of 2002-03. I noticed the difference to even then. Now obviously that was a massive game but still.

I think that remains a big argument against a whole scale redevelopment like Spuds. Pretty much most of the increase is in the prawn sandwich hospitality seats. That doesn't help the atmosphere at all. Probably makes it worse actually.

For me the only argument to making a bigger stadium is to reduce the cost per ticket and get more working class/younger people back at the ground. The Germans have shown that model can work and you can still compete in Europe. 

I'm really hoping coronavirus kills off the silly transfer fee/wage arms race and actually lets some sanity come back into the game where decisions are made for reasons other than money. I won't hold my breath though...

9 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Funny I was watching Chelsea v Liverpool from the last day of 2002-03. I noticed the difference to even then. Now obviously that was a massive game but still.

I think that remains a big argument against a whole scale redevelopment like Spuds. Pretty much most of the increase is in the prawn sandwich hospitality seats. That doesn't help the atmosphere at all. Probably makes it worse actually.

For me the only argument to making a bigger stadium is to reduce the cost per ticket and get more working class/younger people back at the ground. The Germans have shown that model can work and you can still compete in Europe. 

I'm really hoping coronavirus kills off the silly transfer fee/wage arms race and actually lets some sanity come back into the game where decisions are made for reasons other than money. I won't hold my breath though...

Yes was watching the series on you tube Derby days in the week, saw the Hamburg Derby and the German model is excellent and the nearest to the football I fell in love with as a kid in the 70/80's, they spoke to some fans and they really did criticize the English game with no atmosphere and fans sitting down as if being at the theatre. Maybe something will come out of this terrible situation and football will come back to the match going fans, and not pander to the armchair fans, there is whole new generation of fans now, that think going to the game is going down the pub to watch it, f**king sky TV!!

Actually the allocation of tickets in the new stadium was very disappointing.

if I remember of the 18,000 new seats , 12,000 were to be corporate and high end season tickets in a newly created " club chelsea" category. 

Still.leaves a few thousand for the likes of us , but won't do anything for the atmosphere

• 2 months later...