11 hours ago, HOUCHELFAN said:

The writing has been on the wall for a bit now unfortunately. Best we can hope for is new ownership that wants to win and is willing to invest. 

That will be a sad day indeed. But hey ho We're Chelsea. 

• 4 weeks later...

The positive of this is at least we didn’t build a fancy new stadium that seats 60,000 people and get accustomed to that revenue only to have it sit empty now until COVID passes. 

yes Chelsea will take a financial hit, but less so than what others in bigger stadiums will be missing in gate revenue. 

7 minutes ago, HOUCHELFAN said:

The positive of this is at least we didn’t build a fancy new stadium that seats 60,000 people and get accustomed to that revenue only to have it sit empty now until COVID passes. 

yes Chelsea will take a financial hit, but less so than what others in bigger stadiums will be missing in gate revenue. 

I don't know if the stadium cost would count towards FFP but it definitely wouldn't be great to have spent £500m-£1bn and no reap the rewards for God knows how long.

Maybe it still wouldn't hurt us as much depending on how generous Roman would be but for a club like Spurs it's a massive headache. Their stadium cost a full £1bn btw.

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/08/2020 at 20:08, sonic90 said:

I don't know if the stadium cost would count towards FFP but it definitely wouldn't be great to have spent £500m-£1bn and no reap the rewards for God knows how long.

Maybe it still wouldn't hurt us as much depending on how generous Roman would be but for a club like Spurs it's a massive headache. Their stadium cost a full £1bn btw.

Money spent on a stadium does not count towards FFP, (if that matters much anymore after the Citeh ruling), it is just a dent in the owners pocket. It would actually be a wise time to invest, given all the opportunities for construction, loan rates, etc, as a result of COVID-19. Much as our transfer window after a ban has turned into a really good window for us, not building a new stadium early could turn into a really wise business opportunity.

• 1 month later...

I've already mentioned this elsewhere but at yesterday's Chelsea Supporters Trust (CST) AGM there was a brief discussion about the re-development of the ground. There has been little communication from the club to the CST and the Chelsea Pitch Owners (CPO) about the redevelopment. 

Planning permission from Hammersmith and Fulham Council had expired in March of this year but due to Covid-19 has been extended a year i.e. until March 2021. The next AGM of the CPO is due to take place in January next year so hopefully there will be an update then.

10 hours ago, Valerie said:

I've had the expensive honour once to enter the Bridge through the unremarkable Spackman entrance. I expect there to be some sort of commemorative plack to mark the occasion.

It’s almost certainly about to be renamed the ‘Aunty Val Once Used This’ Entrance. 

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

It’s almost certainly about to be renamed the ‘Aunty Val Once Used This’ Entrance. 

Lovely! It's the very least the club can do :Dziekuje:I used that entrance for the Ajax match, you know, the one where we pulled back from being 4-1 behind and when my Ajax supporting friends and colleagues became apoplexic with rage when 2 of theiir players were sent off? You know, that match, just thought I'd remind you all....:laugh2:

21 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

The future: An artist's impression of how Stamford Bridge will look when it is fully redeveloped in time for the 2021-22 season. Owner Roman Abramovich has worked closely on the awe-inspiring design, which is inspired by Westminster Abbey. When finished, the capacity will be raised to around 60,000

Won't be long now:

3DC3BC3D00000578-4266738-The_future_An_a

2 hours ago, chi blue said:

I’m glad we are not getting a gleaming new tourist friendly stadium, the bridge is getting more old skool as every season goes by, time us fans are allowed back in there, it will be Fratton park esk! 

While I admire the sentiment, it is a bit of a dump compared to modern stadiums.  Don't get me wrong, its got history and soul, but as much as it pains me to say it, modern stadiums blow it out of the water.

6 hours ago, PhilH930 said:

While I admire the sentiment, it is a bit of a dump compared to modern stadiums.  Don't get me wrong, its got history and soul, but as much as it pains me to say it, modern stadiums blow it out of the water.

I've only been to the new Wembley, so I can't make a sweeping comparison between the Bridge and new stadiums, but Wembley has as much charm as the M25. New stadiums may have more bling (and toilets), but essentially they are soulless bowls. Give me that old dump of a Bridge anytime. I just hope if the new stadium ever is built, it will still have charm. At least judging from the model the outside isn't as bad and predictable as for instance the New Library.

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

I've only been to the new Wembley, so I can't make a sweeping comparison between the Bridge and new stadiums, but Wembley has as much charm as the M25. New stadiums may have more bling (and toilets), but essentially they are soulless bowls. Give me that old dump of a Bridge anytime. I just hope if the new stadium ever is built, it will still have charm. At least judging from the model the outside isn't as bad and predictable as for instance the New Library.

I can't see anybody building new stadiums for a while. I know Everton are meant to be getting a new one but Covid will surely delay the whole project.

2 hours ago, Valerie said:

I first went to the old Wembley in 1975 and though it was a bit rickety there was something about it. I can't get used to the new Wembley.

As for the Bridge, ,can we go back to this?

Stamford Bridge Stadium EAW614381 #682428 Framed Prints, Wall Art

6 hours ago, Valerie said:

The old wembley was just like the area of wembley. A dump. But a dump with no charm. 

15 hours ago, chi blue said:

I’m glad we are not getting a gleaming new tourist friendly stadium, the bridge is getting more old skool as every season goes by, time us fans are allowed back in there, it will be Fratton park esk! 

As somebody who’s frequented Fratton Park quite a bit...

waynes world GIF

16 hours ago, chi blue said:

I used to live round the corner from Fratton Park in Prince Albert Road.  Nightmare on match-days and even worse when you could see it because there was no-one around.

1 hour ago, Valpo said:

3DC21E5200000578-4266738-Chelsea_mascot_j

Since when did English soccer teams have mascots?   I always thought of European soccer as being kind of mascot free.  

I could be wrong but I think Chelsea were one of the first with matchday mascots Stamford has been round since the late 70's early 80's. The only other one I remember seeing was Man United's red devil who had to run away after getting pelted by celery in the cup game in 1987😆