Go compare

andy

The team that Jose inherited, this maybe worth a new thread but please merge if you dont think so

Just thought it might be interesting to see how the curent team develops under Jose…. Argue among yourselves formations and who is first team choice etc but this is just a general feel of now and then.

04/05 Season

Cudicini

G. Johnson Gallas Terry  Bridge

Makelele Lampard  

Duff Smertin  J.Cole

Gudjohnsen

Just a reminder that : Cech, Robben, Drogba, Carvallho, Ferreira, Tiago all came in that summer some before Jose so you could argue that he inherited them and JFH (and a few others) left that summer

13/14 Season

Cech

Dave Terry Cahill A.Cole

Mikel Lampard

Oscar Hazard Mata

Torres

Has Jose inherited a better team this time than last ?  My gut feeling it is close but no, that maybe nostalgia though 

Edited by andy

Cudicini < Cech

Johnson < Azplilicueta

Gallas > Luiz

Bridge < Cole

Makelele >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mikel

Duff < Hazard

Smertin < Mata

J Cole < Oscar

Gudjohnsen > Torres

Our attack is better certainly. 

Current team compared:

> Far superior attacking midfield

> Weaker Defensive Midfield - There is no replacing Makalele

> Weaker Defence - Terry past his best, Cahill is nowhere near how good Gallas was for us

> Light up top (That will be the first port of call for improvements though)

A couple of tweaks and we will be be banging them in. We'll never see that defensive record beaten probably, but if we bang in more than we concede every game I'll be happy ;)

Personally I'd count Cech and Robben as inherited. That being said, it's interesting to note how similar our squads are and were in many ways. The players to build a team around then were

Cech, Terry, Gallas, Makelele, Lampard, Robben, Duff and Cole. Our fullbacks clearly needed improving on and Eidur was good, but could be improved on. Smertin also needed improving on. So in came Ferreira, Drogba, Tiago and Carvalho meaning Gallas often played at left back. He clearly identified what was weak within the squad and what was strong and went about improving where he could.

Now our squad has evolved from that point and is young and has a lot of players with the potential to improve massively.

Cech, Azpliicueta, Luiz, Hazard, Oscar, Mata are all either world class or will be soon and we have the Belgian trio on loan. There are more gaps in this positionally, but we have a few players who aren't young enough to build a side around, but are still good enough for at least one more year (Terry, Cole, Ivan). Basically, we need about the same number of signings and if he identifies players of the same quality as he did when he first came here we should do everything to heed that advice.

Just a reminder that : Cech, Robben, Drogba, Carvallho, Ferreira, Tiago all came in that summer some before Jose so you could argue that he inherited them and JFH (and a few others) left that summer

On a point of order Mr Speaker, 

I'm pretty sure that Drogba and Carvalho at least were Jose signings.  Ferreira too.  and possibly Tiago.  but not Cech or Robben.  I think.  Maybe.

I'm pretty sure that Drogba and Carvalho at least were Jose signings.  Ferreira too.  and possibly Tiago.  but not Cech or Robben.  I think.  Maybe.

well i remember jose getting some stick for apparently overpaying for drogba, so i guess it mustve been his signing

btw jose replied 'Judge him when he leaves the club' you really couldnt make this up

Cech and Robben were announced while Ranieri was still in charge, the rest were all Jose signings.

Comparing our current squad to what Jose inherited, pre-summer-spending:

Equal in goal - Courtois is better than Cudicini, but out on loan rather than on the subs bench

Weaker in central defence

Stronger at fullback - Azpilicueta > Johnson, Ivanovic > Melchiot as backup, more depth at left-back

Weaker defensive midfield

Stronger attacking midfield & wings

Weaker up front - though that depends whether you count Crespo (back then) and Lukaku (now). If it's Torres/Ba/Lukaku versus Gudjohnsen/Mutu/Hasselbaink, then you could actually argue the current lot's equal

And, of course, the current squad has a much better setup for the future in terms of young talent.

All things considered, I'd call it a wash. If he could sign clones of Carvalho & Drogba, and add in one decent defensive midfielder, the current squad would blow away what he had at the end of his first year.

I'd say they are very even, however if the two teams played I think the 2004 team would win it 1-0 or something.

We're only either a striker or CM off being better off now i'd say. Actually with Ramires instead of Mikel I might favour the current one.

I think Mourinho had a better squad last time around, so maybe that might be the first thing he looks at.

In 2004, he did make Lampard and Terry better players and he transformed Gudjohnsen's position successfully. He inherited Cech and Robben, both were given their chances.  Cech obviously excelled and became the best GK in the league within months. In Robben's case i think his injury record became annoying and reliance on him was not 100%.

I have no doubt he can improve certain players in today's squad. We lacked consistency, belief and the mentality to push on and score a late goal out of nothing and

get desperate to win a match last season.

Good thread,Attack is better now defence was better in 04.Terry and Gallas as a partnership was fantastic better than Terry and Ricky in my opinion.This team i feel has more potential,will be more exciting to watch and has more technical players. Don't know why people say Azpi > Johnson sure he is better defensively but Glen was far superior going forward,all depends on what you prefer in a full back me personally i love an attacking fullback.

Cech obviously excelled and became the best GK in the league within months.

I think he was the best keeper in the league the day he arrived. I don't think there was any massive sudden change in his game when he came to Chelsea. He'd already been keeping consecutive clean sheets in the Champions League and had been voted the best keeper at Euro 2004. I think Cech was ready.

It's certainly an interesting topic, and I think we've got a killer team if we could combine those two.

However, I think it will be interesting to see what Jose does in three key areas

1) How he handles the "old guard."  If he really is bringing Essien back (Essien is already congratulating his "daddy" on twitter), then he'll have Cech, Cole, Terry, Essien, Lampard all part of the 2nd coming.  These players, some more than others, have seemingly been the demise of managers in the past.  Cross them and you're as good as gone.  However, with Jose's contract now of greater tenure than any of those players I think Jose has to keep one eye on handling these players with the other firmly on the future.  

This is the first time, in the Abramovich era, that a "new" manager has been given a 4 year deal.  A sign of intent, or expert negotiations on Jose's part?  Who knows, but I am hoping that this, and the talk of the integration of youth and building a legacy at Chelsea means we will see him here for longer than most before him.

2) Who he brings in.  The press are already saying that Luiz is not disciplined enough and he'll be gone.  That the wallet is being opened up to spend 100 million on a "revival" for Chelsea - personally I think revival is too strong a word, sure we need some tweaks, but a full blown revival would negate a lot of good work that has already gone in to this team.  Now we are also hearing that the "three amigos" are not your stereotypical Jose type of player and he may look to changing them as Jose is rigid in his ways.  One story already linking Hazard with a move away.

3) His relationships with the press and the club.  I don't for one minute mean the fans here, but the backroom staff.  Press darling and fan pantomime villain, Michael Emenalo, is already being mentioned.  Will Jose be able to work with him and being told what to do by him?  The press are, in some circles also talking about how Jose would sulk and not talk to them (yet no mention of SAF's outright ban on others), so the knives are out, sharpened and waiting for us to fail.

I am ecstatic he is back, it was one long knot in all of our stomachs.  One thing is for sure, his name will be sung loud and proud.  And I hope we can carry this positive energy into the team, on to the pitch, and forward in the history of Chelsea FC

I think it is interesting, both times we were at interesting points in transition. 04/05 there was a lot of deadwood and over paid such as Veron and by then unfortunately JFH, This time not so much but how much quality have we got out on loan ?

04/05 JT and Lamps were coming to their prime and he built the team round them and their spirit most of all. Will he do that with other players this time, ha she got new ideas. Ivanovich will he his Gallas no doubt and employed across the back 4 as cover.

He has to deal with the aging JT and Lamps, and the "teasing" Torres who has been awful despite the last two months where he has looked excellent

Think it is going to be really interesting to see what plans he hatches over the summer. Will he build around the 3 ameigos... Who will be captain ? what plan will he have for JT and Lamps, will he call back some loan players and who and will he give Torres anoter 6 months to prove himself under the new regime.

Going to be some summer I feel

defence was better in 04.Terry and Gallas as a partnership was fantastic better than Terry and Ricky in my opinion.

Agree

This team i feel has more potential,will be more exciting to watch and has more technical players.

Agree

Don't know why people say Azpi > Johnson sure he is better defensively but Glen was far superior going forward,all depends on what you prefer in a full back me personally i love an attacking fullback.

Disagree. Johnson was rubbish with us, and - even though he is better now - is nowhere near as good as Azpi.

Disagree. Johnson was rubbish with us, and - even though he is better now - is nowhere near as good as Azpi.

Don't get me wrong i like Azpi and i think defensively he is better than Johnson but Johnson as you would expect has improved defensively and thought he had a very good season,top 3 RB's in the league for me.Johnson had a good first season with us under Claudio but he was poor under Mourinho though and i didn't want the club to sell him thought it was wrong and we would regret it and Chelsea tried to get him back which shows they thought that too.

It depends on what kind of Fullback people want,id take a suspect defensively but fantastic going forward over a really strong defender but offers very little going forward.

He's just terrible tactically, as Ivanovic was for us for a period earlier this season.

He runs in and plays as an attacking midfielder, throttling Liverpool's width and leaving his side completely exposed to counter-attack.

As for the pundits talking about how Hazard, Mata, Oscar and Luiz are not "Jose-type" players- well pretty much everyone in Spain said the same thing about Di Maria, Ozil and Marcelo and the Italian media claimed the same thing about Balotelli and Ibrahimovic.

All of them ended up being Mourinho's key players.

Edited by SydneyChelsea