Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94

Context? Okay here is context.

We lost 9 games in the league games in half a year with Mourinho this year against big teams and small. Conte lost 7 league games in three years at Juve.

We are upgrading on a dated manager who seldom won a game towards the end and ripped the sole out of Chelsea. 

Nice use of context there. Matching the one terrible 4 month period Mourinho has had against a 3 year period of Conte`s. Would it not make more sense to match Jose`s first 3 years at Chelsea against Conte....oh hang on, that wouldn't find your agenda though would it.

Nice use of context there. Matching the one terrible 4 month period Mourinho has had against a 3 year period of Conte`s. Would it not make more sense to match Jose`s first 3 years at Chelsea against Conte....oh hang on, that wouldn't find your agenda though would it.

We're just talking about Mourinho's second stint. But okay lets look at both managers first seasons.

Mourinho took over a team that had just won a European trophy and finished third the previous year i believe. With the same squad he won nothing and finished third once more losing 6 league games. 

Conte took over a team that had just finished 7th. First season he won the league unbeaten and lost 0 games in the league. 

Is that better context for you sir? Does that fit my agenda?

Why his second stint? Was that Conte`s second stint at Juventus too? Why not compare both managers in their first stints of 3 years at a club. You know, a proper like for like. As for Mourinho taking over a club that won a European trophy and finished 3rd, that squad was an absolute shambles and everyone knows it. So yes, that does fit your bloody agenda.

Why his second stint? Was that Conte`s second stint at Juventus too? Why not compare both managers in their first stints of 3 years at a club. You know, a proper like for like. As for Mourinho taking over a club that won a European trophy and finished 3rd, that squad was an absolute shambles and everyone knows it. So yes, that does fit your bloody agenda.

The original question posed in post #917 was asking about Conte's record in big games. Orpington Blue then made some statements that Conte was very average in "big games" and was a "downgrade" on Jose, and that Conte "loses often" in such games.

We have subsequently demonstrated that this is not true, and that Conte has an excellent record in big games, certainly at least on a par with Jose (take whichever spell you like)  based on the results achieved. Hence he is definitely *not* a downgrade on Jose, as many good football people have noted in the press when commenting on Conte's appointment.

Now, you might not want to take anything on board that those of us who aren't Jose supporters are saying, but when the likes of Zola, Vialli, Ancelotti, Pirlo etc comment favourably in the media on Conte in comparison to Mourinho then surely we should all have cause for optimism at what he might achieve with us, especially when he comes with a very impressive track record as well ?

Edited by Sexyfootball

Where have I ever said Conte is a downgrade? Or you shouldn't be optimistic? I was just pointing out the daft way he compared them, which is something some fans seem to be happy to do now to try and disparage Mourinhos record, which I find quite sad. I`m in the same boat as you, I think Conte could do superbly with us, and though I loved Mourinho`s first stint I was actually worried about his return (go look at the Jose returns thread if you can be bothered, I said it very early on) He had to go, he ballsed up last season, but he is still one of the best managers we have ever had, and is still an incredibly talented manager who I admire greatly. By all means question his last season with us, but some who consistently talk down his achievements just show themselves up. In my opinion,

Say hello to my little friend ,lol.Very intense.Players wont mess with him.

But I thought the players needed mollycoddling? After all, all the anti-Mourinho posters said he was too hard on the players to begin with.

For what it's worth, I'm glad we have a head kicker who will demand respect and expect nothing but 100% effort from his players.

We're just talking about Mourinho's second stint. But okay lets look at both managers first seasons.

Mourinho took over a team that had just won a European trophy and finished third the previous year i believe. With the same squad he won nothing and finished third once more losing 6 league games.

Conte took over a team that had just finished 7th. First season he won the league unbeaten and lost 0 games in the league.

Is that better context for you sir? Does that fit my agenda?

Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea he took over a trophyless second places team and won the league cup and the league followed by a second league title (aswell as a communit shield) and third year a second placed finish with the league cup and FA Cup. We were also CL semi finalists twice in those three years.

Am I missing something cause you're saying he finished third?

Mega confused!

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

But I thought the players needed mollycoddling? After all, all the anti-Mourinho posters said he was too hard on the players to begin with.

For what it's worth, I'm glad we have a head kicker who will demand respect and expect nothing but 100% effort from his players.

But won't throw his players under the bus or lack professionalism when dealing with colleagues. Weren't those the reasons for the discord?

But won't throw his players under the bus or lack professionalism when dealing with colleagues. Weren't those the reasons for the discord?

Who knows what the discord is. Maybe the club has overstated it as a way to justify sacking Jose to the supporters or maybe he completely fell out with the squad. It could be one or the other, or something in-between.

We really don't know properly what went on behind the scenes until Jose comes out years later and the players involved can shed any light on what happened in those last few months in the following years. Something definitely turned toxic but what that is and how it started cannot be ascertained at the moment. I'm just sick of those disparaging him as if he single-handedly contributed to our downfall. It was a collective failing by the whole club from top to bottom.

Getting back on topic, I have a great feeling about Conte. He's passionate, tactically astute and most importantly he'll keep his players accountable if they step out of line. I think we will grow to adore him provided he's rightfully backed by the board and the club. I can't see how he won't be successful with time and patience.

Edited by Jezz

Mourinho's first stint at Chelsea he took over a trophyless second places team and won the league cup and the league followed by a second league title (aswell as a communit shield) and third year a second placed finish with the league cup and FA Cup. We were also CL semi finalists twice in those three years.

Mega confused!

He's referring to the first season of the second stint ... season 2013/14

Mega confused!

First season in his second stint, what are you struggling to grasp here? Seeiously..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well his second stint was a similar time period. Mourinho's first year he was the only one in the premier league spending 100's of millions. Different circumstances now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where have I ever said Conte is a downgrade? Or you shouldn't be optimistic? I was just pointing out the daft way he compared them, which is something some fans seem to be happy to do now to try and disparage Mourinhos record, which I find quite sad. I`m in the same boat as you, I think Conte could do superbly with us, and though I loved Mourinho`s first stint I was actually worried about his return (go look at the Jose returns thread if you can be bothered, I said it very early on) He had to go, he ballsed up last season, but he is still one of the best managers we have ever had, and is still an incredibly talented manager who I admire greatly. By all means question his last season with us, but some who consistently talk down his achievements just show themselves up. In my opinion,

The context of several posts in the discussion on "big games" was to defend Conte's record and prove that he does not "lose them often" and he was not a "downgrade" on Jose in big game performance. I do not believe the real "intent" was to denigrate Mourinho.

I am sure we will all be delighted if Conte is even half as successful trophy-wise as Jose Mark One :-)

The only way is up right now and with Conte he has a proven record of winning titles and trophies. Our 2015-16 season was well meh. It wasn't a travesty by any account but it could have been worse but could have been better, especially only getting 1 point where we should have got 3. I hope the 2016-17 season is a successful one and we win a cup or two.

It's all well and good beating the big teams, but it's the teams below that you get most of your points from, something that Jose failed to do the season just gone.

Beating the bigger teams is more about bragging rights or title deciders at the end of the season.

Anyway I really like the look of Conte, he has some steel that we desperately need.

That video was interesting, looks to have a ferocious temper when something annoys him.

Hopefully he has a natural charm that the players will take to, because if he is not respected from day 1 he is probably facing an uphill battle.

That video was interesting, looks to have a ferocious temper when something annoys him.

Hopefully he has a natural charm that the players will take to, because if he is not respected from day 1 he is probably facing an uphill battle.

Looking at that vdieo, I think it's the players who have got the problem coming their way.

I think having Jose, Pep, Klopp etc in the league next season should help Conte ever so slightly.

Imagine the limelight if none of those managers were here and we were coming off a really positive season.

He has been a successful manager and we won't finish 10th if he has any sort of impact (which I'm confident he will).  The microscope will likely be on the others and he won't be burnt alive if he loses a couple of games.

One thing is for sure, when Leicester are 12th halfway through the season the media won't be calling it "one of the most disastrous title defenses ever in history" or pulling other adjectives out of their ass when describing how poor they have been compared to last season.

• coco unpinned this topic