Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Let's hope the manager doesn't self implode and almost relegate us

Let's hope the owner gives the manager his full backing and tries to get the players the manager wants, when he asks for them. Not second rate squad fillers and potentials.

I am fairly confident that Roman's sphincter has puckered up considerably this week with the news from United. If Jose gets off to a flyer and revives their fortunes PDQ, I only hope Conte hits the ground at full speed to.

If he doesn't you can bet your Auntie Nellie's telly that Roman won't be happy and that old itchy trigger finger of his will be twitching again. Argue what you will but our glorious owner is not famous for his patience and he won't want to be outdone by the manager he discarded.......... twice.

Let's hope the owner gives the manager his full backing and tries to get the players the manager wants, when he asks for them. Not second rate squad fillers and potentials.

I am fairly confident that Roman's sphincter has puckered up considerably this week with the news from United. If Jose gets off to a flyer and revives their fortunes PDQ, I only hope Conte hits the ground at full speed to.

If he doesn't you can bet your Auntie Nellie's telly that Roman won't be happy and that old itchy trigger finger of his will be twitching again. Argue what you will but our glorious owner is not famous for his patience and he won't want to be outdone by the manager he discarded.......... twice.

The way you talk about signing new players and the state of our squad is embarrassing

The way you talk about signing new players and the state of our squad is embarrassing

Care to expand? Do you believe Roman gave Mourinho what he wanted last summer in terms of new signings? Do you think the purchases he sanctioned made us a stronger team?

I don't.

Care to expand? Do you believe Roman gave Mourinho what he wanted last summer in terms of new signings? Do you think the purchases he sanctioned made us a stronger team?

I don't.

It's just embarrassing. 

We're a football club not a 16 year old's birthday party. Any additional purchase makes us a stronger team

Well that's just wrong. Did Falcao? Did pato? Did Djilobodji? Did any of last summers?

Absolutely! The more options you have in any one position makes your squad stronger, if the manager chooses not to use them well that's a luxury choice because of the squad strength

I think there is a fundamental difference between making a squad bigger and making it stronger. There are some signings that deliver both however, unless you believe that there is no detrimental impact I'm having a huge squad, there are signings who simply provide numbers without making it a better squad. I don't believe the Pato or Miazga signing, for example, made us stronger. They just took up places which would be better served by focusing on youth development.

Absolutely! The more options you have in any one position makes your squad stronger, if the manager chooses not to use them well that's a luxury choice because of the squad strength

The squad has a limited amount of spaces, the more duds we go out and buy, the less room we have for the talented ones.

If we had not of taken a massive gamble with Falcao, we could of made room for an 'in form' and uninjured striker, they would of been guaranteed plenty of games.

The lesson we must learn is to stop wasting squad places by bringing in players who are clearly past their best.

No, it makes the squad bigger. If we sign 5 substitutes does that make it better? No. No it doesn't.

The squad has a limited amount of spaces, the more duds we go out and buy, the less room we have for the talented ones.

If we had not of taken a massive gamble with Falcao, we could of made room for an 'in form' and uninjured striker, they would of been guaranteed plenty of games.

The lesson we must learn is to stop wasting squad places by bringing in players who are clearly past their best.

Exactly.  I think both Pato and Falcao's places should really have been used for kids.  Costa 1, Remy 2, Abraham or Solanke 3?  That may have given them more time and stopped Solanke going off about wanting to leave Chelsea 

So if Real Madrid sold Ronaldo and bought Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon then they'd be better off because they have more options?

Exactly.  I think both Pato and Falcao's places should really have been used for kids.  Costa 1, Remy 2, Abraham or Solanke 3?  That may have given them more time and stopped Solanke going off about wanting to leave Chelsea 

I know it's easier in hindsight looking back at those decisions, but even so at the time we brought in Falcoa and then again when Pato came in, we already knew Remy was in and out with injuries, and that Costa couldn't be relied on and would miss games through injury and suspension. 99% of us on here could see what was going to happen, and lo and behold we got it bang on.

So if Real Madrid sold Ronaldo and bought Andros Townsend and Aaron Lennon then they'd be better off because they have more options?

I'm not talking about selling players.  If RM had bought both those players and still had Ronaldo then they would have had a stronger squad.  If Ronaldo get's injured they have some back ups who are capable. 

As I understand it, youth players fall outside the squad limit?  If this isn't correct, then I think filling squad positions with 18 year olds does make your squad weaker.  If your key players get injured your relying on an 18 year old to do a job rather than a seasoned player.

You can't go calling our signings duds but then be 100% confident that a youth player will be a better option?

I think there is a fundamental difference between making a squad bigger and making it stronger. There are some signings that deliver both however, unless you believe that there is no detrimental impact I'm having a huge squad, there are signings who simply provide numbers without making it a better squad. I don't believe the Pato or Miazga signing, for example, made us stronger. They just took up places which would be better served by focusing on youth development.

Well when you really drill it down, obviously there is a difference between signing me to play left back or signing a professional player.  A lot of people are just so quick to right off our signings.  they aren't mugs, they can kick a ball. 

If we'd signed Ngolo Kante in the summer, had him on the bench for the first half of the season then sent him out on loan in the second, people would be saying his squad position was wasted and we should have used a younger player instead.  We never would have known how good he could be.  Its the club, the manager and the other players that have brought out his potential.

Chelsea are in a great position to be able to develop anyone with some talent into a great player.  

Having your examples in the squad definitely makes us stronger.  I'm not going to argue that Pato hasn't shown much, but here's a bloke that's scored 50 goals for Milan and is still only 26.  If we get a few injuries we are undoubtedly in a stronger position for having him as an option.   We can still choose a youth player, but we have Pato as well.  Surely this makes us stronger?

Miazga, a great young prospect, in the national set up (decent national team), we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to bring him in just because he didn't grow up in the UK.  If we get a few injuries, which we did we can fall back to a youth player who has never played a senior game of football, or we can play a guy that has done.  We aren't forced to play someone, we have the option. Surely this makes us stronger?

Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about particular players, I think anyone we bring in (within common sense) can play a role and make us stronger.

Nobody bought in the summer or January made us stronger.

Pato is 4th choice behind Costa, Remy and Traore it seems.

Falcao is or was 5th choice.

Mizaga is probably 6th choice behind JT, Cahill, Zouma, Ivan and even bloody Mikel according to Guus.

Rahman is probably 2nd, maybe even 3rd choice LB depending on what Guus or Jose wanted at the time.

Did they bolster the squad, yes, yes they did but they didnt improve it or drive us up the table, IMO, no they didnt.

When you sign players and shoe horn others into their positions, it shows, too me anyway, that the players signed arent deemed to be good enough. Traore has played over a fit Pato and Falcao, Mikel has played over Mizaga and even Djilobodji was sent out on loan after a glorioius 60seconds in the cup. Azp and Kenedy have been played over Rahman.

Of all the players signed, Kenedy showed good early promise but even he faded towards the turn of the year and didnt get many games.

I know it's easier in hindsight looking back at those decisions, but even so at the time we brought in Falcoa and then again when Pato came in, we already knew Remy was in and out with injuries, and that Costa couldn't be relied on and would miss games through injury and suspension. 99% of us on here could see what was going to happen, and lo and behold we got it bang on.

Yeah, I know, maybe a kid in the 4th spot?.  However, I still think that bringing in both Falcao and Pato was a mistake.  Falcao was a bad enough one, we all knew that when we were linked with him.  I just think they were a couple of bad signings, and that one of their spaces could have been used.

Conte will take no sh*t from Jose, if the special one attempts to play the mind games, I will love it if we stuff them next season, just picturing Mourinho's face after we beat them, magic. Just heard a United fan saying you may as well give us the title, absolutely pathetic, they hated him a while ago and laughed when he was sacked.

Edited by Floyd25

Conte will take no sh*t from Jose, if the special one attempts to play the mind games, I will love it if we stuff them next season, just picturing Mourinho's face after we beat them, magic. Just heard a United fan saying you may as well give us the title, absolutely pathetic, they hated him a while ago and laughed when he was sacked.

Well haters hate out of pure envy. Its like our "dirty bar steward" Costa. He would be worshipped if he was theirs. Why they say that is because they know they now have their hands on the best in the business. Let's just hope the stiffer competition makes it that bit more difficult for him. Jealous Ones Still Envy.

Well when you really drill it down, obviously there is a difference between signing me to play left back or signing a professional player. A lot of people are just so quick to right off our signings. they aren't mugs, they can kick a ball.

If we'd signed Ngolo Kante in the summer, had him on the bench for the first half of the season then sent him out on loan in the second, people would be saying his squad position was wasted and we should have used a younger player instead. We never would have known how good he could be. Its the club, the manager and the other players that have brought out his potential.

Chelsea are in a great position to be able to develop anyone with some talent into a great player.

Having your examples in the squad definitely makes us stronger. I'm not going to argue that Pato hasn't shown much, but here's a bloke that's scored 50 goals for Milan and is still only 26. If we get a few injuries we are undoubtedly in a stronger position for having him as an option. We can still choose a youth player, but we have Pato as well. Surely this makes us stronger?

Miazga, a great young prospect, in the national set up (decent national team), we shouldn't pass up the opportunity to bring him in just because he didn't grow up in the UK. If we get a few injuries, which we did we can fall back to a youth player who has never played a senior game of football, or we can play a guy that has done. We aren't forced to play someone, we have the option. Surely this makes us stronger?

Anyway, I don't want to get into a discussion about particular players, I think anyone we bring in (within common sense) can play a role and make us stronger.

I think you are playing games here. I am certain you know, like the rest of us do, that it is quality over quantity that should be the key driver every time. And that is what Roman failed to give Mourinho last summer. I have no inside knowledge, but I am certain the players brought into the club were not the ones Jose asked for.

Not that an owner, or their board, can guarantee to capture any player a manager wants, but that is what they should always be aiming for. To give the manager, his chosen transfer targets. Not foist players upon him and expect him to make them fit the style and system he wants to play.

And that's what happened IMO. Sure it doesn't excuse a lot of what Mourinho did, the Eva situation in particular. But on the playing front he was effectively badly hampered by the boards failure to strengthen the squad with quality new faces.

And the most frustrating part is it was so blatantly obvious we badly needed a degree of freshening up. The last third of 14/15 the team looked dead on its feet and stumbled over the line. Mourinho knew it and so did the majority of the regular posters on here. The fact that that issue wasnt addressed counted a lot towards Mourinho's tetchy demeanour and our struggles this season I believe.

Edited by just

Odd story in the Daily Telegraph saying Conte wants to break up the Brazilian clique at Chelsea.

They included Costa in this and then loosely included it to be Portuguese speakers.

Still, it's positive to see stories about changes and maybe a cultural shift at the club because that's exactly what's needed.