Antonio Conte - Now Officially Manager

JMaher94

I think you are playing games here. I am certain you know, like the rest of us do, that it is quality over quantity that should be the key driver every time. And that is what Roman failed to give Mourinho last summer. I have no inside knowledge, but I am certain the players brought into the club were not the ones Jose asked for.

Not that an owner, or their board, can guarantee to capture any player a manager wants, but that is what they should always be aiming for. To give the manager, his chosen transfer targets. Not foist players upon him and expect him to make them fit the style and system he wants to play.

And that's what happened IMO. Sure it doesn't excuse a lot of what Mourinho did, the Eva situation in particular. But on the playing front he was effectively badly hampered by the boards failure to strengthen the squad with quality new faces.

And the most frustrating part is it was so blatantly obvious we badly needed a degree of freshening up. The last third of 14/15 the team looked dead on its feet and stumbled over the line. Mourinho knew it and so did the majority of the regular posters on here. The fact that that issue wasnt addressed counted a lot towards Mourinho's tetchy demeanour and our struggles this season I believe.

No games being played by me, you can definitely have a better signing than another, I never said otherwise.  But can you really argue that we weren't in a stronger position by having another striking option?  If you're forced to play an uncapped player then you are surely weakened, this is black and white to me.

"Let's hope the owner gives the manager his full backing and tries to get the players the manager wants, when he asks for them. Not second rate squad fillers and potentials."

This was your comment that I had a problem with. It's not even about facts or squads or last season, it's just embarrassing that this is how you think and we support the same club.

I don't agree with the views that there are people working against each other within the club.  I don't agree that we sign squad fillers on purpose with the knowledge that they aren't good enough.  I don't see a problem with signing potentials.

I think Conte will get us in the top 6 ... top 3, no chance ... not with the current set of first team players.

Hopefully, a squad overhaul commences ...

Leicester???

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What're we realistically expecting of Conte? For me, I can't see him winning the league in his first season not now that Mourinho has signed for United- the guys worth an extra 10-15 points a season alone and if next season is as tight as many think that'll be crucial. I'd guess that Conte will help us get a top 5 finish and hopefully a good run in the FA cup. It's been too long since we won it (seemed like we used to win it every year a few years back :laugh: ). What do others think Conte will achieve?

What're we realistically expecting of Conte? For me, I can't see him winning the league in his first season not now that Mourinho has signed for United- the guys worth an extra 10-15 points a season alone and if next season is as tight as many think that'll be crucial. I'd guess that Conte will help us get a top 5 finish and hopefully a good run in the FA cup. It's been too long since we won it (seemed like we used to win it every year a few years back :laugh: ). What do others think Conte will achieve?

But extra 10-15 points might not win you the league, just ask cech and arsenal.

But extra 10-15 points might not win you the league, just ask cech and arsenal.

very true but this is mourinho we're talking about. If he does what he did first time round with us then United have to be favourites

Mourinho has said this, ‘There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.’ ‘I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans.’ Rapport with the fans? That's a good one, didn't he once say blue is in my blood, Chelsea is my family? Let's face it, he's a compulsive liar, United are welcome to him.

Mourinho has said this, ‘There is a mystique and a romance about it which no other club can match.’ ‘I have always enjoyed a rapport with the United fans.’ Rapport with the fans? That's a good one, didn't he once say blue is in my blood, Chelsea is my family? Let's face it, he's a compulsive liar, United are welcome to him.

Footballers, managers will say what they need to in order to Impress their new clubs.

I have no idea why people get so upset about it.

Footballers, managers will say what they need to in order to Impress their new clubs.

I have no idea why people get so upset about it.

Yup. Plus it probably was written by his representatives, or maybe even by Man United staff.

I understand that, still don't get the line about a rapport with the fans, fair enough, say what you want to please your new fans, but even they know that line is total bullsh*t.

Edited by Floyd25

They all do.

Joe Cole was the same when he joined Liverpool. It's their new job and they have to appease the fan base. They aint going to come out and say nothing or try to make Chelsea fans feel good.

Exactly, people need to stop acting so upset over this sort of stuff. From a PR perspective it's the best thing they can do.

I understand that, still don't get the line about a rapport with the fans, fair enough, say what you want to please your new fans, but even they know that line is total bullsh*t.

No kidding Sheriff. What he should have said is happy to be here at man utd but the chelsea fans are great fans. The way they chant my name and support the team and bla bla bla..... Get real.

Seeing our greatest ever manager unveiled at United today hasn't been easy for many of us.

Off the back of this I'm now eager to see Conte start work at Chelsea and I'm looking forward to his first press conference as I'm at a point where I could do with some confidence building.

A strong, confident first showing from Conte can't come soon enough for me.

Seeing our greatest ever manager unveiled at United today hasn't been easy for many of us.

Off the back of this I'm now eager to see Conte start work at Chelsea and I'm looking forward to his first press conference as I'm at a point where I could do with some confidence building.

It's been a tough and bittersweet day, but I also see today as a new beginning for the club. I loved Jose and always will till the day I die, but I keep thinking about our new manager and the excitement surrounding his impending arrival.

I thought it would be a tough day, but surprisingly I feel like I've coped with the news better than I've expected despite the fondness I've had for Jose for more than a decade.

I've been very pessimistic and bitter in the last few months and while I didn't agree with the board's decision to sack Jose back in December, I've realised that their won't be a third coming and he's moved on himself with Manchester United so we need to do the same now and worry about ourselves because there's a lot of work to be done to get us up to scratch again.

Edited by Jezz

Just my take on it, loved it what jm did for us. He's now gone, he's gone to a club that I don't like, I'm not gonna harp on about history because it's history. So many hours of bitching arguments about him on here it's boring. I've followed this club for over 50 yrs don't know how many I've got left, but I look to the future with hope as us old Chelsea gits always have. Ktbffh.

Edited by Kev56

No kidding Sheriff. What he should have said is happy to be here at man utd but the chelsea fans are great fans. The way they chant my name and support the team and bla bla bla..... Get real.

Please, did not expect him to mention Chelsea fans, just didn't expect him to talk out of his ass. Nothing to do with getting real, the man just talks absolute sh*te, tell the truth I'm likely to react like a knee jerker to anything that comes out of his mouth at the moment, because I'm pis*ed off, anyway, that's all I'm saying about it, sheriff.

Edited by Floyd25

He's a serious coach. A step onto the field, borderline militaristic type.

You won't see much football where the players are trying to figure out what they are doing as it happens. Patterns of play will be drilled into them.

Expect someone as ruthless and intense and Jose and someone who spends as much time on the training field as pochettino or guardiola.

For better or worse there will be no aimless drift or malaise. This guy isn't a scolari.

I'm quite excited. Though I don't see us necessarily in the top 3...

He's a serious coach. A step onto the field, borderline militaristic type.

You won't see much football where the players are trying to figure out what they are doing as it happens. Patterns of play will be drilled into them.

Expect someone as ruthless and intense and Jose and someone who spends as much time on the training field as pochettino or guardiola.

For better or worse there will be no aimless drift or malaise. This guy isn't a scolari.

I'm quite excited. Though I don't see us necessarily in the top 3...

The more I've learned about him as a coach the more optimistic I am that it's exactly the right style of coach we need.

The players have had a six month holiday with Guus, he let them take their foot off the peddle.

Now they're (hopefully) in for a culture shock and I'm hoping that Conte tells them a few home truths.

I think a tough, strong minded coach isn't just what the the players need but the club as a whole.

Fingers crossed eh?

The more I've learned about him as a coach the more optimistic I am that it's exactly the right style of coach we need.

The players have had a six month holiday with Guus, he let them take their foot off the peddle.

Now they're (hopefully) in for a culture shock and I'm hoping that Conte tells them a few home truths.

I think a tough, strong minded coach isn't just what the the players need but the club as a whole.

Fingers crossed eh?

I'm hoping that when a reporter is doing Blues News from Cobham for Chelsea TV, Conte will appear in the background chasing Hazard around with a pitchfork and then a few minutes later it will pan to him with Oscar in a headlock.

• coco unpinned this topic