N'golo Kante - We are not worthy!

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

2 minutes ago, charierre said:

...and to think some considered selling him at the beginning of the season. Madness

Because he wasn't playing well and was turning 30, wasn't completely unreasonable. But the position he's playing in now with the likes of Mount, Havertz/Kovacic in front of him, he's playing a lot better than he was when he had more attacking responsibility. Now he doesn't, and he's playing really well. 

Just now, Slojo said:

Because he wasn't playing well and was turning 30, wasn't completely unreasonable. But the position he's playing in now with the likes of Mount, Havertz/Kovacic in front of him, he's playing a lot better than he was when he had more attacking responsibility. Now he doesn't, and he's playing really well. 

He always was quality, just needed time to recover from muscle injuries. As for his age ,he doesnt have a problem with stamina. Still a world class talent.

5 minutes ago, charierre said:

...and to think some considered selling him at the beginning of the season. Madness

I remember saying at the time that if it comes to it, I would rather we sold Jorginho, even though I thought Jorginho had a better season last season. Kante wasn't having a great season, but there was always a chance he would get back to his best, and when he is at his best, he's one of the best in the world. We also don't have another play like him, none of our midfielders have the defensive qualities that he does, so it would be way too risky to sell him.

Kante's abilities are probably more valuable than the abilities of any of our other midfielders right now, because nobody else can step in and do what he does. 

Edited by Scott Harris

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

But that was more to do with a bizarre decision by managers to move him to accommodate a lesser player. At least Frank has finally realised his mistake. 

Just now, charierre said:

He always was quality, just needed time to recover from muscle injuries. As for his age ,he doesnt have a problem with stamina. Still a world class talent.

Nobody said he wasn't quality, but the club comes before the player. If a player doesn't fit the system, then you need to find replacements. Again, it wasn't an unreasonable take at all, injuries considered also add to that point that turning down a big offer in the summer wasn't a terrible idea at the time. 

There are people on here who thought singing Kovacic was a terrible idea despite having a transfer ban and barely any options in midfield, yet he turned out to be our player of the season. 

1 minute ago, Scott Harris said:

I remember saying at the time that if it comes to it, I would rather we sold Jorginho, even though I thought Jorginho had a better season last season. Kante wasn't having a great season, but there was always a chance he would get back to his best, and when he is at his best, he's one of the best in the world. We also don't have another play like him, none of our midfielders have the defensive qualities that he does, so it would be way too risky to sell him.

Kante's abilities are probably more valuable than the abilities of any our other midfielders right now, because nobody else can step in and do what he does. 

Shh, don't mention Jorginho  

Just now, loz said:

But that was more to do with a bizarre decision by managers to move him to accommodate a lesser player. At least Frank has finally realised his mistake. 

Probably yes, I'm a fan of Jorginho, but we look much better in this system with Kante protecting. It looks like Lamps has figured out his best team, so far so good. 

Just now, Slojo said:

There are people on here who thought singing Kovacic was a terrible idea despite having a transfer ban and barely any options in midfield, yet he turned out to be our player of the season. 

One of these days we’ll realise us fans know absolutely f**k all :laugh2:

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Nobody said he wasn't quality, but the club comes before the player. If a player doesn't fit the system, then you need to find replacements. Again, it wasn't an unreasonable take at all, injuries considered also add to that point that turning down a big offer in the summer wasn't a terrible idea at the time. 

You don't get rid of world class talent , as for the much branded player of the season last year everyone was much as a much

Edited by charierre

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I think that is one of the major differences that has helped Kante this season. The system didn't fit him and he struggled, even when he had shaken off the injuries. I think the way the midfield 3 were set up last season was much different than this season, and I think the way we are playing them this season is much more suited to the type of players we have.

Edited by Scott Harris

Just now, charierre said:

You don't get rid of world class talent , as for the much barbded player of the season last year everyone was much as a much

A world class tag doesn't mean anything if the player isn't playing well. Not understanding your next point however. 

At the end of the day, things are going well, the midfield area was a difficult position to peg. Lampard likes possession, Kante in his usual box to box role just didn't fit well there. Now, where he's playing, he's playing well. And given that possession was quite split today, Kante came into his own when going forward with the ball. Which is what we saw from him under Conte a few years ago. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

A world class tag doesn't mean anything if the player isn't playing well. Not understanding your next point however. 

At the end of the day, things are going well, the midfield area was a difficult position to peg. Lampard likes possession, Kante in his usual box to box role just didn't fit well there. Now, where he's playing, he's playing well. And given that possession was quite split today, Kante came into his own when going forward with the ball. Which is what we saw from him under Conte a few years ago. 

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree, it appears you would have sold him, I wouldn't. Teams containing 'true' world class talent tend to do well. I use the word true as it is much bandied  about , and at what Kante does well he has few peers.

1 minute ago, charierre said:

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree, it appears you would have sold him, I wouldn't. Teams containing 'true' world class talent tend to do well. I use the word true as it is much bandied  about , and at what Kante does well he has few peers.

I wouldn't have sold him, not with the midfield depth we have. I don't think you're understanding what me and others were saying. I can't speak for everyone however, basically, if we got a big offer say from PSG, then yes. Because he wasn't fitting Lampards style of play, and the injuries were concerning. At the time, it didn't look as stupid as people are saying it is now. 

Currently though, he's been exceptional, breaks up play, protects the back 4 and keeps it simple. He gives us that stability in the midfield that allows us to play with the likes of Havertz, Ziyech, Pulisic and Mount above him. Also, you've got Mount who helps out and tracks back. 

I want what's best for the team, Jorginho just doesn't fit the bill. He's a good player but we need to play to our strengths, so I think Jorginho should be moving on eventually and we should be looking to get a player who can rotate with Kante in the summer or eventually replace him when he hangs it up. 

12 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I thought Kovacic was bang average in his first season and I didn't want us to sign him. He had the odd good game here and there but I forgot he was playing most of the time. 

Kovacic is the reason why I will give the likes of Havertz time.........well, unless he starts playing like Bakayoko that is. I don't expect Havertz to be wowing everybody this season like he was at Leverkusen, I think he will have his moments here and there, but this season will be more of a learning season for him, just like it was for Kovacic in his first season.

Edited by Scott Harris

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought Kovacic was bang average in his first season and I didn't want us to sign him. He had the odd good game here and there but I forgot he was playing most of the time. 

Kovacic is the reason why I will give the likes of Havertz time.........well, unless he starts playing like Bakayoko that is. I don't expect Havertz to be wowing everybody this season like he was at Leverkusen, I think he will have his moments here and there, but this season will be more of a learning season for him, just like it was for Kovacic in his first season.

Yeah I know, it wasn't completely unreasonable, but I was still baffled given how much little depth we had at the time and a transfer ban. I would've took any semi decent player then just to give us a decent backup. 

f**king hell are we going to have this bollax every week now?

I don't think the concerns about Kante were unreasonable, he suffered some bad injury's and wasnt playing well consistently for a couple of season's, we've seen this before with players who's main quality is their engine after some awful injury's, look at Essien, another example would be a certain Welshman up the road.

Thankfully with Kante mine and others fears have been unfounded and he's managed to get back to his best, however that doesn't happen with every player as we should know all too well.

Edited by Argo

21 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

One of these days we’ll realise us fans know absolutely f**k all :laugh2:

Speak for yourself.....I realised I know f**k all years ago....fully enlightened me pal.

• 2 weeks later...