Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blueblur

Pokémon Go!

Calling all Pokémon trainers, please use this thread to share any tips, tales and screenshots of your journey to becoming a Pokémon master!

I'll start.

I was on the tram the other day when a Psyduck appeared, lumbering down the aisle checking tickets. When I declined to show mine its headache worsened and it attacked in a wild rage!

13729139_10157153378475156_3368488988856

Ok I must be one of the few people left in the IT connected world who has no idea what Pokémon Go is. Well me and probably most people who remember the blitz.

Is it simply using your phone to get to locations and when you get to it the app recognises you got there?

Ok I must be one of the few people left in the IT connected world who has no idea what Pokémon Go is. Well me and probably most people who remember the blitz.

Is it simply using your phone to get to locations and when you get to it the app recognises you got there?

It's an Augmented Reality game where these creatures called Pokemon appear in certain locations. Your goal is to capture them all.  the app will show you when and where they appear. They are superimposed on to the real world through your phones camera. You chuck balls at them to catch them. 

The appeal of this game is completely lost on me. 

Did you ever play Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day?

Hang in there, Zinc! Do you know when it comes out? Where do you live, Singapore or somewhere? 

That's right, I'm from Singapore.

Tbh, I have no idea when it'll be available here. The server has been set up for us but something is delaying the release. Rumour has it that our government is still monitoring the situation (how this game is being played and its impact on society blah blah blah), so that they can impose stricter guidelines/rules as always. 

I'm another one. I do know Solitaire though, so I'm not completely clueless, onky 99% :-)

Rumour has it that our government is still monitoring the situation (how this game is being played and its impact on society blah blah blah), so that they can impose stricter guidelines/rules as always. 

How despotic! 

It's an Augmented Reality game where these creatures called Pokemon appear in certain locations. Your goal is to capture them all. the app will show you when and where they appear. They are superimposed on to the real world through your phones camera. You chuck balls at them to catch them.

Did you ever play Red/Blue/Yellow back in the day?

So it's a bit like a modern day techie version of orienteering?

It isn't for me I must admit however I'm not as critical of it as some seem to be on social media. I think we all largely accept that we are a society more and more glued to devices (at home and outside). Getting kids to play outside is becoming more and more of a struggle. Something like this seems to find a bit of a balance whereby they might just get out to do stuff without rejecting the idea as it isn't gadget related. Or is it aimed at an older market than kids?

Can you actually battle with the Pokémon or is it purely an exercise in collecting?

Also are there any hidden costs or is it entirely free?

I'm not going to play it regardless because a) I don't own a smartphone and b) I don't care, but I am curious. I can imagine a 7-year-old version of me being very excited about it.

Can you actually battle with the Pokémon or is it purely an exercise in collecting?

Also are there any hidden costs or is it entirely free?

I'm not going to play it regardless because a) I don't own a smartphone and b) I don't care, but I am curious. I can imagine a 7-year-old version of me being very excited about it.

You can battle Gyms and take them over for your team, and then leave your pokemon there to defend it against other teams, and I think they are going to put player vs player battling in at some point.

It's free, but there are in-game things you can buy, as with all mobile games. I've already spent like £10 on it.

Finally a pokemon go thread! Since bike riding is the most common way of transportation here in Holland I had to get going. I'm level 19 at the moment.

Tip: catch as many pidgy's and weedle's as you can (or any other common pokemon which only takes 12 candy to evolve). Then when you reach level 9 you get a lucky egg, which gives you double xp for 30mins. So turn the egg on and start evolving them. I think you can evolve about 2 in a minute. So if you want the max xp make sure you have about 60 pokemon to evolve.

Cheers ZO, does the battling work the same way as in the GameBoy games (i.e. four moves, strengthening via levelling up, alternate turns, type effectiveness, etc.)?

No, it's quite different. Although type effectiveness is still there

Is it true that one can catch Pokemon at Auschwitz? If so I have an issue with that.

Duchess and I were out walking, a young lad was leaning against a church wall, downward gazing at his phone. We squeezed past, it being a narrow pathway, said lad shouted, 'oi I'm tryn' to catch pokemon 'ere'.

Neither I nor duchess said a word, but lordy Duchess withered the child with one look.

Finally a pokemon go thread! Since bike riding is the most common way of transportation here in Holland I had to get going. I'm level 19 at the moment.

Tip: catch as many pidgy's and weedle's as you can (or any other common pokemon which only takes 12 candy to evolve). Then when you reach level 9 you get a lucky egg, which gives you double xp for 30mins. So turn the egg on and start evolving them. I think you can evolve about 2 in a minute. So if you want the max xp make sure you have about 60 pokemon to evolve.

And with that I'm lost!!!!

Is it true that one can catch Pokemon at Auschwitz? If so I have an issue with that.

Duchess and I were out walking, a young lad was leaning against a church wall, downward gazing at his phone. We squeezed past, it being a narrow pathway, said lad shouted, 'oi I'm tryn' to catch pokemon 'ere'.

Neither I nor duchess said a word, but lordy Duchess withered the child with one look.

Unfortunately, yes, you can.

Horrifyingly enough, a "gas" type Pokemon was found appearing in the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. I don't think I need to say any more. 

No idea what you're saying, are you insulting anyone by any chance?

f**k MY LIFE

FOund a Lvl 1000+ Vaporean in town, both friends with me caught it, f**king ran from me. It's the Blastoise from yesterday all over again.

Jeez, Zeta, where do you live?? All these amazing pokemon keep appearing near you when all I get are Drowzees, Pidgeys and Rattatas all the time! My 10k hatched into a Lapras though, so not all bad.

Vaporeon is my FAVE of the Eevee evolutions! Can't believe you let another one slip through your clumsy fingers again...