Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Turned out a bit of a disaster really. Don’t know who would buy him now and certainly not much money. Probably go on a free if they cover his wages.

To think that he will have earned more in his short career so far than many good honest professionals earn in their whole career. I bit sickening that but not his fault, he was right to get as much as he could.

When he first came into the first team, we were approaching Hazzards departure. I thought with the promise he showed, we're not going to miss Eden. Then the injury, he's never recovered anywhere near to the level he was at. I also see the fatal Chelsea flaw with young players. Once they hit the first team, it goes to their heads. they appear to think that's it they've made it, no more need to push themselves, they're superstars now.

11 hours ago, loz said:

Say it quietly...he is truly crap.  League 1 or Falkirk is probably his standard. Said it before and I'll say it again, Carlton Cole Mark II.  Average talent, sh*te attitude. 

He wasn't an average talent, he was far more impressive than Saka and Musiala at youth level and when he first came into the first team. The injury has just completely killed him as he relied so heavily on his pace. 

23 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

He wasn't an average talent, he was far more impressive than Saka and Musiala at youth level and when he first came into the first team. The injury has just completely killed him as he relied so heavily on his pace. 

Agree to disagree I think on this one. Even pre injury he never impressed me. Pace yes but very poor decision making, extraordinarily easy to defend against as he was very predictable and he never struck me as a player with any great appetite for the game or a will to win 

1 minute ago, loz said:

Agree to disagree I think on this one. Even pre injury he never impressed me. Pace yes but very poor decision making, extraordinarily easy to defend against as he was very predictable and he never struck me as a player with any great appetite for the game or a will to win 

You say easy to mark but pre-injury he had every full back he was against on their arse. He had prime Bellerin dancing in pre season. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

You say easy to mark but pre-injury he had every full back he was against on their arse. He had prime Bellerin dancing in pre season. 

Not my recollection. He was always quite reluctant to take players on. Maybe a lack of confidence rather than a lack of ability, but I do not recall him doing to any defender what Mitoma did to Chalobah (or Vini Jr did to Fofana).

22 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Not my recollection. He was always quite reluctant to take players on. Maybe a lack of confidence rather than a lack of ability, but I do not recall him doing to any defender what Mitoma did to Chalobah (or Vini Jr did to Fofana).

You're thinking of post-injury CHO. Pre-injury he was a monster as a 17 year old: 

48 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

You're thinking of post-injury CHO. Pre-injury he was a monster as a 17 year old: 

I'm not.

He was impressive in the Europa League under Sarri, but did very little in the PL.

You can check his stats here:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/350088/History/Callum-Hudson-Odoi

No goals, one assist, and an average of 1.2 dribbles per game. I'm not disputing he was a talented player, but I am saying he didn't do very much for us before his injury. This may have been due to a lack of confidence, as he looked good in the Europa League, but that is not the same level as the PL.

Edited by Backbiter

13 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I'm not.

He was impressive in the Europa League under Sarri, but did very little in the PL.

You can check his stats here:

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/350088/History/Callum-Hudson-Odoi

No goals, one assist, and an average of 1.2 dribbles per game. I'm not disputing he was a talented player, but I am saying he didn't do very much for us before his injury. This may have been due to a lack of confidence, as he looked good in the Europa League, but that is not the same level as the PL.

He did very little in the league because he never got on the pitch, one of the main issues people had with Sarri was how little he utilised CHO in the league when he was tearing it apart in Europe. Contributed to a goal every 69 minutes in Europe. 

19 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

He did very little in the league because he never got on the pitch, one of the main issues people had with Sarri was how little he utilised CHO in the league when he was tearing it apart in Europe. Contributed to a goal every 69 minutes in Europe. 

My recollection is that he just didn't take people on in the PL under Sarri. He looked for the safe pass and didn't utilise his pace. As I said, it might have been a lack of belief, but - based on what we saw of him in the PL before his injury - he was not the amazing player that some people claim.

2 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

My recollection is that he just didn't take people on in the PL under Sarri. He looked for the safe pass and didn't utilise his pace. As I said, it might have been a lack of belief, but - based on what we saw of him in the PL before his injury - he was not the amazing player that some people claim.

Honestly, just go back and read this thread from page 5-30.

28 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I put it on Lampard and Tuchel more than Sarri if I'm honest.

Had he not got injured under Sarri he'd have hit over 30 appearances as a 17-18 year old with two being cup finals. He also stated Callum would be starting more once he got use to his system out of possesion and it looked like he was sticking to his word.

Under Lampard at the beginning he became the first teenager to assist 3 games in a row since Michael Owen. Tuchel he had that spell in the Autumn where he was by a distance our best attacker but then got randomly dropped for a player who at that point done f**k all for a year and a half.

Even as someone who likes him I can accept it's over at this point, he by all accounts hasn't played well enough at Levekusen but momentum is a thing, to not try and build on it in moments like the two above is bad enough, but to not do in favour of playing Pulisic was outrageous.

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Had he not got injured under Sarri he'd have hit over 30 appearances as a 17-18 year old with two being cup finals. He also stated Callum would be starting more once he got use to his system out of possesion and it looked like he was sticking to his word.

Under Lampard at the beginning he became the first teenager to assist 3 games in a row since Michael Owen. Tuchel he had that spell in the Autumn where he was by a distance our best attacker but then got randomly dropped for a player who at that point done f**k all for a year and a half.

Even as someone who likes him I can accept it's over at this point, he by all accounts hasn't played well enough at Levekusen but momentum is a thing, to not try and build on it in moments like the two above is bad enough, but to not do in favour of playing Pulisic was outrageous.

The minutes he was getting under Sarri were largely meaningless in the league though, there was uproar at the time that he was that good he was getting an England call up but still hadn't even started a league game for us. 

Agree about Lamps and Tuchel though. 

Always came across as a player who believed the hype. I have long stated my concerns on his mentality. When you look at things such as (i) him using caltek10 as a monikor, (ii)him turning to modelling, (iii)him pushing for move to munich (iv) him (at least twice) breaching covid lockdown rules  - disregarding them to have a night out partying, (v) the rape allegations - which whilst eventually dropped, just goes to show the type of lifestyle he was living.

All of the above, points to a player who believed the hype, and whose head was not in the right place to thrive at Chelsea. Perhaps he had it too easy in the youth league, but he certainly never gave the impression on or off the field that he was a grafter whose top priority was to be the best he could be.

5 hours ago, Backbiter said:

Exactly how I remember him. Far too often  turning back, or cutting inside very slowly or just shuffling with no particular direction. 

No denying there will be some footage of him taking on a full back or two but far too often it was very negative player that injected no pace to our game.

14 hours ago, Argo said:

I highly rated Callum before his injury, but having said that, Pulisic had far better spells in a Chelsea shirt than Callum ever did. That's likely why he was starting over him. Hudson-Odoi was one of the worst finishers I've ever seen, Pulisic's first season at Chelsea was better than anything Hudson-Odoi has done here, so I don't think it's outrageous at all. I never saw any vast improvements to Callums game after the injury, just a decent game every now and then. If I had to look at who's form could I potentially recover from two players, I would pick Pulisic as he showed great potential years ago. 

18 hours ago, nonotnowjim said:

Always came across as a player who believed the hype. I have long stated my concerns on his mentality. When you look at things such as (i) him using caltek10 as a monikor, (ii)him turning to modelling, (iii)him pushing for move to munich (iv) him (at least twice) breaching covid lockdown rules  - disregarding them to have a night out partying, (v) the rape allegations - which whilst eventually dropped, just goes to show the type of lifestyle he was living.

All of the above, points to a player who believed the hype, and whose head was not in the right place to thrive at Chelsea. Perhaps he had it too easy in the youth league, but he certainly never gave the impression on or off the field that he was a grafter whose top priority was to be the best he could be.

Nearly all those points (except the rape allegations) can be said against Mount though, and he's as close to a model professional as you can think of. 

(i) MM19

(ii) models for burberry

(iii) now pushing a move to Liverpool

Lockdown things, i think we can all admit we didn't follow the guidance. I had friends around most weekends. Don't see why healthy athletes with nothing to worry about wouldn't be the same.  

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Nearly all those points (except the rape allegations) can be said against Mount though, and he's as close to a model professional as you can think of. 

(i) MM19

(ii) models for burberry

(iii) now pushing a move to Liverpool

Lockdown things, i think we can all admit we didn't follow the guidance. I had friends around most weekends. Don't see why healthy athletes with nothing to worry about wouldn't be the same.  

Yep - I also question the mentality of Mount to an extent. At least his drive to absolutely be a winner and never accept defeat.

8 hours ago, Victor90 said:

I highly rated Callum before his injury, but having said that, Pulisic had far better spells in a Chelsea shirt than Callum ever did. That's likely why he was starting over him. Hudson-Odoi was one of the worst finishers I've ever seen, Pulisic's first season at Chelsea was better than anything Hudson-Odoi has done here, so I don't think it's outrageous at all. I never saw any vast improvements to Callums game after the injury, just a decent game every now and then. If I had to look at who's form could I potentially recover from two players, I would pick Pulisic as he showed great potential years ago. 

I would agree based on the restart period but at the same time that's a time that's highly astrisked given it's uniqueness, it was effectively a semi pre season. Personally I rate Callum's Autumn form above anything Pulisic has done bar that period in his entire career.

I think it's outrageous largely because of the timing, he was on hot form during that Autumn and was instantly dropped as soon as Pulisic was fit (and even then came back to make big impacts against Villa and Spurs). He was never given any opportunity to build on any form/momentum, which I'd understand and accept if we had Hazard/Robben or even Willian/Pedro/Duff but when it was Pulisic and Ziyech getting rolled out as the alternatives i just couldn't understand it.

Last December under Tuchel he had our highest chances created per 90 by far, even after having to cover as a right back.

With that being said, his injury last season seems to have ruined his potential completely, if he can't break into Leverkusen's team he isn't getting near ours. 

Though I do wonder if bulking up so much this season has hurt his game, his agility (which he still had after his ACL injury) seems to have completely vanished.

I do think he still should have one more loan as he is only 22, but it looks like he's never going to get near his potential at this rate

8 hours ago, Argo said:

I would agree based on the restart period but at the same time that's a time that's highly astrisked given it's uniqueness, it was effectively a semi pre season. Personally I rate Callum's Autumn form above anything Pulisic has done bar that period in his entire career.

I think it's outrageous largely because of the timing, he was on hot form during that Autumn and was instantly dropped as soon as Pulisic was fit (and even then came back to make big impacts against Villa and Spurs). He was never given any opportunity to build on any form/momentum, which I'd understand and accept if we had Hazard/Robben or even Willian/Pedro/Duff but when it was Pulisic and Ziyech getting rolled out as the alternatives i just couldn't understand it.

Can't agree with that, just look at the stats, CHO has never produced close to Pulisic's goals/assists here in the PL. 

Pulisic was good all season in his first season here, he had a few injuries that kept him out of the side, he still scored a hattrick against Burnley and had numerous other good games in the season before the restart. We probably would've won the F.A Cup had not gone down with an injury. 

After that season I agree, Pulisic just had the odd good game against Real Madrid and Palace and most crap, but first season he was definitely very good and a top prospect. CHO has never had a game like Pulisic had against Liverpool that season, the guy genuinely looked like he could've been a good replacement for Hazard in the future, unfortunately, it all fell apart.