Welcome Emerson Palmieri!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

5 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Still very far from convinced that Emerson is anything other than an average player who is occasionally capable of individual moments of excellence.

A team with ambitions of joining the elite (which we are not at the moment) would realistically need someone better in that position, especially if we are going to persist with not protecting the defence properly. I'm comfortable with Emerson as a squad option, less so as our undisputed starter. 

Unless we are going to create a system which is more accommodating to Alonso (the better overall footballer, probably the worse cog), I imagine that a new left-back will be on our list of priorities when we re-enter the transfer market in nine months' time. 

Alonso the better left back? No chance. The only thing Alonso has on Emerson is ability from a dead ball, Emerson excels in every other attribute. I'd go as far as arguing Alonso isn't even a LB.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Alonso the better left back? No chance. The only thing Alonso has on Emerson is ability from a dead ball, Emerson excels in every other attribute. I'd go as far as arguing Alonso isn't even a LB.

Alonso isn’t. He’s a class wing back. He’s not good enough defensively to be considered a full back. 

18 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

If we are going to be having our full backs bombing forward and pressuring for the full 90 mins I would rather play Alonso as he's a far better attacking threat. 

1 minute ago, Remodez said:

If we are going to be having our full backs bombing forward and pressuring for the full 90 mins I would rather play Alonso as he's a far better attacking threat. 

I would say Emerson is a better crosser and has pace to get forward and back. Alonso is a good attacking threat because he wanders into the opposition box which is unexpected to the opposition but also buggers your own team if you get caught on the counter. Do I want a LB who wanders around the pitch at freewill and makes Giroud look like Bolt speed wise, no thanks. I think Emerson is having a good season and I'm very happy with him at LB.

I think Alonso will go back to Spain at the end of this season, and maybe even in January if he isn't playing very much.

Kenedy could play as back up to Emerson, and I think Frank might even fancy a punt on young Maatsen ahead of Kenedy as well.

And when we are able to buy again, I think we might make a bid for Leicester's Ben Chilwell.

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

I think Alonso will go back to Spain at the end of this season, and maybe even in January if he isn't playing very much.

Kenedy could play as back up to Emerson, and I think Frank might even fancy a punt on young Maatsen ahead of Kenedy as well.

And when we are able to buy again, I think we might make a bid for Leicester's Ben Chilwell.

We won't sell him this season, not with the transfer ban. If we do sell him, then we are dumb. 

I'd have no issue selling Alonso in Janaury or in the summer coming, he excelled as a WB in a very particular formation but as a FB, he makes a 30 odd yea old Ivanovic look like prime Dani Alves, hes just a shambles back there and looks every bit the type of player that has played for Bolton and Sunderland.

Emerson has had a impressive start to the season and must be considered a nailed on starter at this stage, whether or not hes good enough long term remains to be seen but if he has a good season, I'd happily keep him for the future. 

Chilwell would be a great option at LB but youd be paying 50m+ for him in todays market and for a FB, I think thats madness.

Selling Alonso in January would mean the only real back up for Emerson would be a completely out of form Azpi which is clearly a recipe for disaster.

Alonso may not be as effective playing LB as opposed to LWB but he can still do a good enough job against majority of the teams we come up against in the PL.

8 hours ago, Nevamind said:

Alonso has his fair share of problems but some you make him out to be a 40yearold who is barely able to walk onto the pitch. 

At least he was the "best" LB in the World for nearly two months. 

40 year old is probably more mobile and agile tbf.

On 23/08/2019 at 21:04, RIP Mourinho said:

I don't think he is a left back. With Fiorentina wasn't he being used as a third centre back?

He's better than Emerson in the air and his finishing/ goalscoring ability is better. 

I don't know... I don't like to criticise Alonso because he does try and he's scored quite a few goals even as a defender. It's his lack of pace that's the issue. I wonder if he'd be better off as a central midfielder. A bit like Beletti - who was hopeless defensively but pretty good offensively and played centrally sometimes.

Edited by GhostOfDembaBa

6 hours ago, Lucashm said:

We need to renew his contract, he'll only have 2 years left in January, i'm worried the likes of Real Madrid will come sniffing around If we dont.

I saw some rumors today that the club have begun contract talks with him.  5 year deal through 2024.

I know Alonso is available as back up, but with the way we play, it would be a terrible move to bring him in. Asking Alonso to run up and down the pitch doing both attacking and defending is just asking for trouble. We would need to consider playing Azpilicueta at LB and hoping somebody can fill in at RB until Reece James is fit. Rudiger can do it, but he is desperately needed at CB. Maybe those that were saying it was a mistake to let Zappacosta go had a point, at least until January.

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I know Alonso is available as back up, but with the way we play, it would be a terrible move to bring him in. Asking Alonso to run up and down the pitch doing both attacking and defending is just asking for trouble. We would need to consider playing Azpilicueta at LB and hoping somebody can fill in at RB until Reece James is fit. Rudiger can do it, but he is desperately needed at CB. Maybe those that were saying it was a mistake to let Zappacosta go had a point, at least until January.

Whats the point in Alonso then? Could have sold him already if we don't trust him. 

2 hours ago, terraloon said:

Don’t forget that Tomori is a very capable full back indeed in his academy days he regularly played as right back. 

Dave on the left, Tomori on right with Rudiger & Christensen in the middle. We need to keep Alonso rested for the powerhouse of either Macclesfield or Grimsby!