Following our Nearest & Dearest Rivals 2019/20

8 hours ago, goose said:

Raising your studs and going into that tackle was reckless wether he won the ball or not. Cahill got sent off for lungeing in recklessly a couple of seasons back and he did even make contact with the player.

Was that in the first game of Conte's second season. That was a bullsh*t red if I remember correctly.

11 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

He made a mistake and in his desperation to win the ball back, he's left his studs on the Tottenham players shin.

Just highlighted a little known clause in the rulebook; if you decide to play for Tottenham you no longer count as a human-being. 

17 hours ago, dkw said:

It's maybe just me but I hate that kind of tackle, Robertson knows exactly what he's doing same as the w**ker from valencia who did Mason mount. Its a cowards tackle and I've seen lots of them over the years that have bady injured players. 

I know this sounds silly and we're not pro footballers by any means, but I'm sure many of us here have played a lot of football in our time? And I've never went in on challenges like that, because you know far well what's going to happen and it isn't needed or necessary. For pro footballers I find it to be really sloppy or malicious, either way I agree with the red cards. 

20 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I can't believe people still use the "he won the ball" excuse. We have had more than enough time to adjust to the rules now. Any tackle with your foot in the air and studs showing is a red card risk, it should be a guarantee if you make contact with the player. These rules have been made very clear for a long time now. 

Weirdly, some people are defending him by saying he overran the ball and was rushed into winning the ball back. Well my response to that is that he shouldn't have overran the ball. He made a mistake and in his desperation to win the ball back, he's left his studs on the Tottenham players shin.

Like you, I'm not ruling out that he did it on purpose either. It's just like you say, we seen it in the Valencia game against us. 

Maybe I'm too old-school but I still think there was little wrong with that particular challenge.

If a player lunges in and gets nothing on the ball and, studs on leg / ankle, whatever then yes red card. But we all love a "JT" type - give it everything tackle and in Robertsons case he has over-run it but still times it well and wins the ball. The Spurs player is coming from the opposite direction, so having won the ball, Robertson has nowhere else to go and connects with the Spud. He didn't deliberately leave his studs on the Spud - you go into those sort of tackles and can easily get injured yourself. Lamps himself said he never got injured because he went into tackles and held nothing back - you go in half-hearted and that's when you get injured. If that had been Rudiger, Tomori, Zouma etc, I would have been patting them on the back and gutted if they had got dismissed for that.

As always though it is all about consistency. No red given for that which I'm fine with but will be furious if a non-Liverpool player gets a red for the same sort of challenge.

Edited by Nibs
2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Maybe I'm too old-school but I still think there was little wrong with that particular challenge.

If a player lunges in and gets nothing on the ball and, studs on leg / ankle, whatever then yes red card. But we all love a "JT" type - give it everything tackle and in Robertsons case he has over-run it but still times it well and wins the ball. The Spurs player is coming from the opposite direction, so having won the ball, Robertson has nowhere else to go and connects with the Spud. He didn't deliberately leave his studs on the Spud - you go into those sort of tackles and can easily get injured. Lamps himself said he never got injured because he went into tackles and held nothing back - you go in half-hearted and that's when you get injured yourself. If that had been Rudiger, Tomori, Zouma etc, I would have been patting them on the back and gutted if they had got dismissed for that.

As always though it is all about consistency. No red given for that which I'm fine with but will be furious if a non-Liverpool player gets a red for the same sort of challenge.

Having won the ball, does he connect with the Spud or does the Spud kick his withdrawing foot?

6 hours ago, Slojo said:

I know this sounds silly and we're not pro footballers by any means, but I'm sure many of us here have played a lot of football in our time? And I've never went in on challenges like that, because you know far well what's going to happen and it isn't needed or necessary. For pro footballers I find it to be really sloppy or malicious, either way I agree with the red cards. 

Yes but you've never played against Tottenham.

8 minutes ago, Nibs said:

If a player lunges in and gets nothing on the ball and, studs on leg / ankle, whatever then yes red card. But we all love a "JT" type - give it everything tackle and in Robertsons case he has over-run it but still times it well and wins the ball. The Spurs player is coming from the opposite direction, so having won the ball, Robertson has nowhere else to go and connects with the Spud. He didn't deliberately leave his studs on the Spud - you go into those sort of tackles and can easily get injured yourself. Lamps himself said he never got injured because he went into tackles and held nothing back - you go in half-hearted and that's when you get injured. If that had been Rudiger, Tomori, Zouma etc, I would have been patting them on the back and gutted if they had got dismissed for that.

With you on that @Nibs. We all used to love a good 'Chopper' tackle, especially if it was on someone like Bremner. Difference is that Bremner would get back up, laugh and leave one on Chopper next tackle. It was part and parcel of the game, players didn't role about in 'pain' but would get back up to show he hadn't been hurt. A good hard tackle got the crowd going and did the players all end up with broken legs...no!

Sadly that element has been taken out of the game now, shame but its the way it now is and by the letter of the law probably should be carded.

9 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

I didn't even know they moved it in the first place, had it been in January last year I wonder if they would have done so well in the league and CL. 

I didn't either, Wiki has the initial change registered yet not the changing back to January next season. 

This year looks like it is in April, don't think that will impact their season and Egypt didn't qualify.

15 hours ago, Munkworth said:

We dealt with it for years with Drogba, Mikel, Kalou, Essien, Geremi etc. Get over it you tic tax toothed w**ker :scouser:

And I seem to remember playing in it pretty much finished Essien as a top class player. Or was that a normal international break?

Edited by Backbiter
19 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Klopp unhappy with AFCON moving back to January - No sympathy form me.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51152641

Klopp describes it as a "catastrophe".

Wonder how we coped for all those years when almost half our team consisted of African players about 10 to 15 years ago?

Harden up and get over it.

• coco unpinned this topic