ForeverCarefree

Pre-season matches 2019

Think our starting 11 tonight will be competitive. For me it’s only alonso and Barkley and Willian when available that could compete for mount Palmeri Pedro spots. The midfield looked quite fluid   Strongly agree with commentator on espn that Barkley needs to be consistent. Some weeks a world beater next week an also ran. 

Happy for a win there. Even if we were under the kosh a bit in the second half.

Clear to me that with the exception of Tammy the first team was on the pitch in thr first half. We were much more solid and moved the ball okay. Second half was very slow with our pressing a bit inconsistent. 

For me I think our biggest strength and weakness will be the high press. We created most of our chances that way but we were also opened up badly on the occasions we got it wrong. 

James or Zappa? Tomori or Zouma? Keep Kenedy or Moses, for their versatility as well as depth? Those are the questions for Frank to answer.

Drinkwater and Baka are gone.

1 minute ago, Davey Baby said:

I don't think we'll be able to get rid of Danny Drinkwater. No one is going to take his wages.

2 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Think our starting 11 tonight will be competitive. For me it’s only alonso and Barkley and Willian when available that could compete for mount Palmeri Pedro spots. 

RLC, Rudiger, Kante and CHO may have something to say about that.

6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

For me I think our biggest strength and weakness will be the high press. We created most of our chances that way but we were also opened up badly on the occasions we got it wrong. 

Still early days though. It thought the signs were very encouraging.

We looked more solid in midfield with the double pivot, both Jorginho and Kovacic seemed to thrive as they were able to play off eachother and it also took away some of the vulnerability in Jorginho's game.

9 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

Who knows we might win our first ten games, or be in a position where we get to Christmas unbeaten, then we would question where to fit those^ players into the team when they come back, if things click quickly and the stars are aligned, you never know.

6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Still early days though. It thought the signs were very encouraging.

We looked more solid in midfield with the double pivot, both Jorginho and Kovacic seemed to thrive as they were able to play off eachother and it also took away some of the vulnerability in Jorginho's game.

He played a similar way to the approach with Italy, his lack of pace is not exposed as much when he has a partner. I thought Kovacic did well alongside him. Question is whether we keep one of Bakayoko or Drinkwater until RLC returns. 

Kenedy is the first player in the bin for me. Beyond being left footed he really adds nothing of value. 

Zouma or Tomori is probably the other key question. Kurts work on the ball has improved a lot. But neither get ahead of the other three midfielders we have for mine. When Everton are offering big money do we really keep him to be fourth choice? I'm unsure.

Good

Kepa - Several good saves, quick reactions
Kovacic - Played well

Positive Signs

Mount - Faded towards the end of his appearance, but looked good first half
Barkley - Still unsure about him, but got involved and got a goal
Pulisic - Flashes of skill
Jorginho - Played well for the most part, but did play some sloppy passes which put us under pressure.

Poor

Tomori - Sorry, but you can't be ducking out of the way of a shot as a CB
Giroud - Did very little
Batshayui - Did nothing really

Bad

Kenedy - Just don't see a place for him. He would be about 5th choice winger and 3rd choice LB.

22 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

When they are fit for sure. AgainstMan U not so much. 

49 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Wait what Jorginho and Kova getting praise no way they are not good enough for Chelsea not even our squad emoji57.pngemoji57.png

Based on his feeble performances last season Kova was extremely lucky to be given a second chance. But, it's a new season under a new manager so he starts with a clean slate. I hope he takes this chance and does well for us this season.

Anyway, tho I didn't see the game, after reading the positive comments about Tammy. Pulasic, Mount, Nova,  I feel more optimistic about doing OK next season. 

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

James or Zappa? Tomori or Zouma? Keep Kenedy or Moses, for their versatility as well as depth? Those are the questions for Frank to answer.

Moses is already on loan at fenebache for the season i think. So maybe kenedy will be kept around, depending on foreign spots. 

James being injured will probably mean both stick around until January, since James is u21 and doesnt have to be registered anyway. 

With franks comments about Zouma, i cant see tomori staying, he has looked very good though, i think a prem loan would be good for him. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

Reece James will end up our first choice RB in my opinion. It might take a bit longer, but he will be there. I think J.Castillo should be upgraded as back up to Emerson.

Zouma deserves to be back up or even first choice - he offers something different than our other centre backs. For me, it's Zouma + Luiz/Christensen partnership. I like Rudiger, but him and Zouma together is overkill. Both are too similar,  except in my opinion, Zouma is better. 

Mount, Barkley, Jorginho, RLC, Kovacic, Kante, maybe even Gilmour will be our midfield options. 

Edited by enigma

44 minutes ago, Dixons said:

Based on his feeble performances last season Kova was extremely lucky to be given a second chance. But, it's a new season under a new manager so he starts with a clean slate. I hope he takes this chance and does well for us this season.

Anyway, tho I didn't see the game, after reading the positive comments about Tammy. Pulasic, Mount, Nova,  I feel more optimistic about doing OK next season. 

Kovacic is a very skilled, valuable player. If he can improve his creativity and shooting under Lampard, no reason he cannot end up being an elite midfielder. He already has most abilities on the ball. 

1 hour ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Jorginho, Kovacic and Mount, a great trio of midfielders. High technique, great passing ability and creativity. 

Not bad to have Kante as plan B too ?

1 hour ago, Sindre said:

I don't think we'll be able to get rid of Danny Drinkwater. No one is going to take his wages.

Simple way around that would be to take a lower transfer fee to factor in his wages. 

5 minutes ago, enigma said:

Kovacic is a very skilled, valuable player. If he can improve his creativity and shooting under Lampard, no reason he cannot end up being an elite midfielder. He already has most abilities on the ball. 

Nobody has ever doubted he has enough technical ability on the ball to be a good player. We're (his critics) are just screaming out for him to do something with it when he has it.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

That was some sweet footwork from Abraham on the goal.

Broadcast isn’t available in the US unfortunately.  How are we looking at the back?  And it sounds like the Jorginho-Kovacic pairing in midfield is looking decent enough?

the match was on ESPN2 bro, I posted it earlier in the thread. Just in case you missed it, checkout Ross Da Boss put Barca away with this goal

Edited by robdog

2 minutes ago, robdog said:

the match was on ESPN2 bro, I posted it earlier in the thread. Just in case you missed it, checkout Ross Da Boss put Barca away with this goal

Meant the Chelsea app broadcast, should have searched a little harder but to be fair I was barely awake at 5:30am ?

1 minute ago, mwblue10 said:

Meant the Chelsea app broadcast, should have searched a little harder but to be fair I was barely awake at 5:30am ?

yeah I had to wake up at 3:30am to watch the game but it was nice to see Chelsea winning a match due to Barca not being up to snuff ::ChElSeaFLag::

1 hour ago, Dixons said:

Nobody has ever doubted he has enough technical ability on the ball to be a good player. We're (his critics) are just screaming out for him to do something with it when he has it.

Would you say he did something with it today?