Pre-season matches 2019

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It might be a bumpy ride to start the season; especially since there will be no CHO, RLC, and Reece James - I think will do a lot of folks good to keep that in mind. Plus with it being pre-season, I like seeing the way Frank has messed with the squad and how he changes his playing style based on who he has up top, in the center of the pitch etc. Not just demanding that we play style X regardless of who is on the pitch or who we are playing. It will be a nice change of pace IMO. I have positive feelings 

Sometimes a bad result/performance can tell you a lot more about your team and players than any number of wins ever could. 

As nice as it would be to cruise every pre-season game smashing in tons of goals it wouldn't be a true reflection of the quality of the squad. 

Hopefully Frank will have learned a lot from today's game and have a better idea of how he wants us to line up and which players he does and doesn't want to work with. 

1 minute ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Sometimes a bad result/performance can tell you a lot more about your team and players than any number of wins ever could. 

As nice as it would be to cruise every pre-season game smashing in tons of goals it wouldn't be a true reflection of the quality of the squad. 

Hopefully Frank will have learned a lot from today's game and have a better idea of how he wants us to line up and which players he does and doesn't want to work with. 

Absolutely agree with all of this. Ive been involved in pre seasons where we played terrible teams winning every game by 10+ goals only to then struggle all season. Like wise Ive been involved in some where we lost every game and had a great season. My favourite was being pasted 8-0 by a team, but we had double training all the week before so were shattered. 2 weeks later we got the same team in a cup game to start the season and battered them 5-0. And we werent smug at all......honest.

Their goal was a classic Luiz f**kup so not too much to worry about there. 

More concerning was our inability to create chances, but that's okay for now. Onwards and upwards with our best player still to play his first match.

Very unpopular opinion...

I was actually surprised by Kennedy, he grew into the game, the first 20 minutes he gave away the ball a lot but once he grew into the game his movement was good, he created chances for himself and the team, he got into dangerous areas of the pitched, linked up with his team mates, yes he probably should of scored 2 goals and he needs to work on his finishing but I thought he was one of the best players in the game! 

Palmer will be lucky to start in the championship. Jorginho, Kovacic and kante would be my thee mids. Hardly a goal between them but they are a quality trio. 

I like tomori and luiz as a back two pre rudigier return but luiz is so error prone. I like tomori but Frank’s made it clear he likes Zouma, so Zouma is staying. . I don’t see anything to choose between alonso and Palmeri. They both-have strengths and weaknesses  but either can do a job. Alonso and luiz together leave  us very exposed fir pace down that side in defence. 

None of our strikers would start for a top ten team, none of them will score 15 pl goals   Giroud is an excellent sub but he doesn’t have a seasons worth of starts in that agreeing battered body  

Anyhow a[ologies for sounding depressing but the attack looks well off the pace and I’m not even convinced frank has a a workable system yet  hopefully we will put a few past Barca  has to be said Kawasaki weren’t bad and this was a much stiffer test than the Irish games  

Only pre-season, but without Hazard and RLC,  the extreme lack of creativity against even  low level opposition is a bit worrying.  We're not going to get more than a handful of goals & assists from Jorginho, Kovacic and Kante and we'll do well to get a couple of dozen goals from our strikers, which still leaves us about 20 goals away from hitting 50.  

Seems a lot of doom and gloom for a pre-season....this is all about fitness and getting players playing together, defeats are irrelevant at this point.  And anyway what did any one expect; a transfer ban, an inexperienced fan favourite manager and a handful of youth...2 out of 3 mostly wanted by the fans, so I'm not going to worry about pre-season or even the season TBH....finishing 6th will be an achievement in itself, a decent cup run in any of the 3 cups were in and I for one will be relatively happy...fans should lower their expectations this season even though a finish outside the top 6 will make it a little more difficult to attract the top players next season with all the money we've been banking......unless Roman decides to buy a new yacht instead..

8 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Seems a lot of doom and gloom for a pre-season....this is all about fitness and getting players playing together, defeats are irrelevant at this point.  And anyway what did any one expect; a transfer ban, an inexperienced fan favourite manager and a handful of youth...2 out of 3 mostly wanted by the fans, so I'm not going to worry about pre-season or even the season TBH....finishing 6th will be an achievement in itself, a decent cup run in any of the 3 cups were in and I for one will be relatively happy...fans should lower their expectations this season even though a finish outside the top 6 will make it a little more difficult to attract the top players next season with all the money we've been banking......unless Roman decides to buy a new yacht instead..

For me, this season is about nothing more than us getting thru it, with the club already looking for the players they want to sign next summer. Defo see no way we finish top four, so anykind of Cup run would be nice. What i really hope for is to see RLC and CHO make full recoveries. Players like Mount, CHO, Pulisic and Emerson, to make significant progress and for Christensen and RLC to continue on thier upward curve. So, it's all about showinng promise for the season after next, rather than what we can win next season.

14 minutes ago, Brutos said:

Feel good factor gone already??

No!!!  Unlike the previous two seeasons, everyone is fully behind the manager! But, being stuck with the ban there's low/realiistic expectations for NEXT season, that is all. 

5 hours ago, ozboy said:

Also Kante’s  injury seems more serious day by day  

I dont understand why he didnt just go under the knife after playing injured in the europa league final. This just feels like a reece james situation when the doctor hopes rest will heal the injury then ends up going for surgery .

SMFH.... 

I really feel bad for lamps especially with our brutal first 3 games

7 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

I dont understand why he didnt just go under the knife after playing injured in the europa league final. This just feels like a reece james situation when the doctor hopes rest will heal the injury then ends up going for surgery .

SMFH.... 

I really feel bad for lamps especially with our brutal first 3 games

It makes signing Kovacic make even more sense now.

1 hour ago, WalterWhiteCFC said:

Watched real vs Bayern and juve vs spuds and they are absolutely Miles ahead I’m hoping we show a lot more tomorrow than we did last time out 

I don't find myself agreeing with you a lot @WalterWhiteCFC, but in this I do. Our rivals seem to be getting better results against the big boys (Liverpool aside) and we're struggling against cannon fodder. I know I know "pre-season is about fitness", but you've got to admit, we need to be hitting the back of the net soon, or our start to the season could be a messy one.