Billy Gilmour

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I'd be interested in him and Kovacic together. Didn't think he got much help from Kante yesterday but didn't really perform himself either as the midfield was a problem.

We need someone in there that can break the press on a consistent basis and currently Kovacic is the only one who can.

4 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I much prefer him in the deep lying midfield, getting the ball from defence and start a play. I don’t think advanced role suits him

I thought that he will be a natural replacement for Jorginho in the DM role but in the last few games I see him going more forward while someone else is sitting back. 

That decision isn't bad as Billy is quick and can link up with someone but I thought that he will gain weight in time and maybe some extra height and he would grow in the role of a DM.

We have a clear unbalance there, Kante, Kovacic Gilmour all short and lightweight and all seem to like to roam forward, Jorginho is lightweight too but just a bit taller.

We are desperate for someone like Vieira/Toure because we can't have all 3 of them (Kante,Kovacic,Gilmour), we need 1 of them as key to make the team with Mount and Havertz for example, otherwise we're too weak without the ball.

I know that we could try and play possession and possession only like tiki-taka where technique matters the most but I don't see us doing it...

I think he is the best Teenage Central Midfielder in the PL

It's most likely between him and Curtis Jones and I would have him over Curtis, he certainly needs to be given more opportunities especially against teams who will operate with a low block and as a result we are playing with a much higher line. Yesterdays game didn't suit him due to the pitch conditions, physicality & high press of Barnsley, against Wolves, Burnley & Spurs I could've seen him create a lot more opportunities from Central Midfield then Jorginho did in those games.

5 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

I think he is the best Teenage Central Midfielder in the PL

It's most likely between him and Curtis Jones and I would have him over Curtis, he certainly needs to be given more opportunities especially against teams who will operate with a low block and as a result we are playing with a much higher line. Yesterdays game didn't suit him due to the pitch conditions, physicality & high press of Barnsley, against Wolves, Burnley & Spurs I could've seen him create a lot more opportunities from Central Midfield then Jorginho did in those games.

Definitely he is a great prospect. I don’t think he did too bad yesterday against Barnsley, in fact, I saw a range of passes and creativity that were impressive for a young midfielder. He created the goal, just as an example, and got the assist to Tammy’s uncalled penalty. I think he did better than what we’ve seen from Jorginho in similar situations. I’m not saying that he’s above Jorginho just yet, but definitely needs to get more playing time to learn the trade. And I totally agree with you that teams that sit back are the perfect games for him to start.

4 minutes ago, dkw said:

Yeah, the one thing lampard definitely didn't do was play youth 🤣

Not saying that, I was just in a tit for tat way pointing out that if you use isolated circumstances against him like you're doing TT he'd have been getting criticized regularly aswell. I mean if you're criticizing him for not playing Gilmour for a few weeks surely the same applies to Tomori being frozen out for a year?

6 minutes ago, RMH said:

They definitely had more game time than Gilmour has had under Tuchel so far.

Tomori was frozen out for a year. Also CHO was nearly allowed to leave for Bayern. 

Also you mention Gilmour, What was his reward for his MOTM displays vs the Scouse duo? Dropped so a wildly out of form Kante could be shoehorned back in.

Don't get me wrong all things considered Lampard's youth policy was great and I really hope we make use of it as it's his biggest legacy that he's leaving behind but if we critised him for every little decision that wasn't completely pro youth like we seem to be doing with TT he'd have been getting it regularly too. 

Edited by Argo

9 minutes ago, Argo said:

Tomori was frozen out for a year. Also CHO was nearly allowed to leave for Bayern. 

Also you mention Gilmour, What was his reward for his MOTM displays vs the Scouse duo? Dropped so a wildly out of form Kante could be shoehorned back in.

Don't get me wrong all things considered Lampard's youth policy was great and I really hope we make use of it as it's his biggest legacy that he's leaving behind but if we critised him for every little decision that wasn't completely pro youth like we seem to be doing with TT he'd have been getting it regularly too. 

I am pretty sure we've discussed the Billy Point before, he started 4 games post restart and was getting regular minutes up until his injury against Crystal Palace. 

I understand you are not a big Frank fan but his management of Billy is certainly not an area he can be criticised for. 

1 minute ago, Imran_CFC said:

I am pretty sure we've discussed the Billy Point before, he started 4 games post restart and was getting regular minutes up until his injury against Crystal Palace. 

I understand you are not a big Frank fan but his management of Billy is certainly not an area he can be criticised for. 

You've got me completely wrong here I'm not saying Lampard's youth policy wasn't good just pointing out the lack of consistency.

I actually defended him for his movement with Tomori as I don't think he was anywhere near as good as people were making out.

Edited by Argo

• 2 weeks later...

We could really do with a Gilmour type right now, someone who looks to pass forward and keep the ball moving fast. Unfortunately I think its becoming clear his size is greatly weighing against him, coupled with his age, and I don't think Tuchel trusts him to impose himself in midfield. Its a real shame. 

5 minutes ago, Oli said:

We could really do with a Gilmour type right now, someone who looks to pass forward and keep the ball moving fast. Unfortunately I think its becoming clear his size is greatly weighing against him, coupled with his age, and I don't think Tuchel trusts him to impose himself in midfield. Its a real shame. 

Unfortunately for Billy, He didn't have his usual decent game when TT gave him a start, Cant remember who it was against(Possibly Barnsley) but his passing was unusually ragged and he was getting dispossessed a lot.

Im not particularly bothered about his size, Verratti seems to cope, although id like to see him put on a bit of weight and bulk out a little, but technically he's a wonderful player for someone so young and a great prospect.

Im sure he will get further opportunities.

2 hours ago, Osgoodwasgood said:

Unfortunately for Billy, He didn't have his usual decent game when TT gave him a start, Cant remember who it was against(Possibly Barnsley) but his passing was unusually ragged and he was getting dispossessed a lot.

Im not particularly bothered about his size, Verratti seems to cope, although id like to see him put on a bit of weight and bulk out a little, but technically he's a wonderful player for someone so young and a great prospect.

Im sure he will get further opportunities.

Barnsley was his last game and he wasn't the worse. He assisted the goal and passed to Tammy that was fouled in the area (if I remember correctly). The team, in general, had a nightmare of a game but Gilmour made some good passes and, in my opinion, was not the worse player. I think that he could be given more playing time against lower teams, hopefully Tuchel plays him at some stage. We need someone in the midfield with the range of passes and vision that he has shown before.

He’s got to start getting minutes soon. He is so much better than whatever we have in midfield when it comes to putting balls forward.

He is pretty small but he certainly can impose himself physically and put in crunching tackles.

I actually think we would play much better if he plays, he’d at least see the space attackers are in.

39 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I actually think we would play much better if he plays, he’d at least see the space attackers are in.

Is that because he’s such a wee little lad he can see between everyone’s legs (except for Tammy of course who’s third leg gets in the way)?

58 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

He’s got to start getting minutes soon. He is so much better than whatever we have in midfield when it comes to putting balls forward.

He is pretty small but he certainly can impose himself physically and put in crunching tackles.

This was worry about a new manager, some young players would see their career with us stall as the coaching staff left. If this leads to us losing a player like gilmour then I'll be royally pissed of.

6 hours ago, RMH said:

Barnsley was his last game and he wasn't the worse. He assisted the goal and passed to Tammy that was fouled in the area (if I remember correctly). The team, in general, had a nightmare of a game but Gilmour made some good passes and, in my opinion, was not the worse player. I think that he could be given more playing time against lower teams, hopefully Tuchel plays him at some stage. We need someone in the midfield with the range of passes and vision that he has shown before.

I’m not saying by any means that he was our poorest player that day, but by his standards it wasn’t one of his better games.