Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Being reported we've made a bid for the Rennes keeper Edouard Mendy, so he'd better have his own thread 🙂

Looks decent to me ...  recommended by Lollichon  ... 6 feet 7 inches tall ...  etc etc

Three plus points based on pics on the Net : he's vocal, he has strong wrists, and he can come for a cross and catch it ... sign him up Maria !

image.thumb.png.6d2bf50e95352f5c4b0a271f57388369.png

2 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Just the opening bid ... I'd be surprised if we don't come back with another one, a bit higher.

They wanted 40m whilst we value him at 25m. I say stick to our gut and hold onto that stance.

Don't overpay for an average keeper. Not anymore

25 minutes ago, Deino said:

They wanted 40m whilst we value him at 25m. I say stick to our gut and hold onto that stance.

Don't overpay for an average keeper. Not anymore

They paid £3.6M last year so hopefully they will swiftly realise that an offer of around £20M is great business and a great return in these Covid-times, and doubly so when the likes of Transfermarkt have him at a market value of £6.3M as of today 🙂

Got to trust in Lollichon and Cech that they have identified the right target !

He is catching the ball in one of the pictures so he clearly is an upgrade on Kepa
Harsh but fair. You need to dominate your area and Kepa just can't do that. In Spain I guess it's less of an issue but here... let's just say our best keepers have been tall and happy to come for the ball.
27 minutes ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Any reason he isn't playing for Rennes against Montepillier ?

He is not even on the bench.

Maybe the dont want to risk injuring him. 

The deal makes too much sense for all parties. Vast profit for them on a 3mill signing from last summer, player we need recommened by Cech and Christoph.

Cannot blame them playing hard ball when they know we have cash for Havertz.

Returned with a second offer of €20m according to rumours this evening. Would appear that we're pressing ahead with actively looking for Kepa's replacement or at the very least providing serious competition for his place in the team (I'm not convinced we can find someone to take him off our hands during this window so he may still be here even if another keeper is signed). 

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

The youtube videos of him which are suppose to make him look good, dont even make him look good. Not a great sign.

Hardly heard of him before, not sure if he is the replacement we should be going for, unless he's the replacement we have in mind for Caballero who also needs to replaced

2 minutes ago, driller97 said:

Hardly heard of him before, not sure if he is the replacement we should be going for, unless he's the replacement we have in mind for Caballero who also needs to replaced

I doubt we would spent this type of money for a backup GK. Backup GK are usually cheap, experienced and at the end of their career. Being home grown would also be really helpful. Someone like Ben Foster would make sense. 

28 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

I doubt we would spent this type of money for a backup GK. Backup GK are usually cheap, experienced and at the end of their career. Being home grown would also be really helpful. Someone like Ben Foster would make sense. 

20m for a 2nd keeper isnt that bad in all fairness, but anymore is probably too steep I agree

2 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

The youtube videos of him which are suppose to make him look good, dont even make him look good. Not a great sign.

Short term upgrade. He'd be 1st choice this season then drop to 2nd next year when Willy is likely to move on and we can dedicate more of our transfer budget to a goalkeeper. 

Rumour is we're still going to try to sign Rice this window so with Havertz and Mendy on top our spending would be north of £300m.

This guy seems like a low risk, high reward type signing. 

9 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Short term upgrade. He'd be 1st choice this season then drop to 2nd next year when Willy is likely to move on and we can dedicate more of our transfer budget to a goalkeeper. 

Rumour is we're still going to try to sign Rice this window so with Havertz and Mendy on top our spending would be north of £300m.

This guy seems like a low risk, high reward type signing. 

Could we not get someone like Ben Foster to do that job? cheaper and knows the premier league?.

12 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Ditto. 

I always get scared when someone can't even look particularly good at Youtube. Doesn't look like a goalkeeper that would be good enough for us too me.

22 minutes ago, jack_super_class said:

As i mentioned above someone like Ben Foster would be ideal for us for one season.

Might aswell bring in a decent 28 year that can contribute for 4 or 5 years. 

We already have a veteran keeper in Cabellero.

If Mendy doesnt do enough to secure number 1 this season, then we can keep him as back up for a few years. 

Most top teams have veteran goalkeepers as there 3rd choice, i dont to have a 38 year old, and 37 year old as 1 and 2, especially as neither were world class in their peaks. 

• Mod Stark changed the title to Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!