Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I'm so tired of shoehorning Kante into this side. Jorginho & Kovacic have dominated the midfield in every game since Tuchel arrived and as soon as Kante is back in midfield we lose it. His passing is atrocious and he's a terrible partner for Kovacic who of course was suffering.

Won the ball back a lot in fairness but he's just a complete hinderance to ourselves when it comes to attacking and controlling.

There's some truth to what you're saying but what is Kovacic's value in that midfield? He doesn't create chances with his passing, neither is he a goal scoring threat. He's basically a more elegant version of Kante, a workhorse with some good technical abolity, but quite limited, if you think about it. 

5 minutes ago, Sindre said:

I'm so tired of shoehorning Kante into this side. Jorginho & Kovacic have dominated the midfield in every game since Tuchel arrived and as soon as Kante is back in midfield we lose it. His passing is atrocious and he's a terrible partner for Kovacic who of course was suffering.

Today I will give him the benefit of the doubt it was for rotational purposes but it's becoming painfully clear now Kante should be a squad option for when tactical purposes require him going forward.

Jorginho, Kovacic, Gilmour and even Barkley are more suited to our style these days.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Won the ball back a lot in fairness but he's just a complete hinderance to ourselves when it comes to attacking and controlling.

Rubbish IMO sindre. And I normally agree with you.

Kante gives miles more than Jorginho IMO. Take Jorginho's short five yard passing away from him, (that's 95% of his game anyway), and I don't think he gives us anything over Kante. Not pace, tempo, tackling and certainly not creativity.

The reason we lost today was not n'golo Kante. Mount and him were the only decent players we had for the full 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Term_X said:

This whole ‘charity’ club and ‘resurrecting’ teams from the dead is real isn’t it, not even a joke now. Wonder what the actual reality is behind it, Zouma & Kovavic think they can just sleep walk through the game because they’ve been on a long winless run. Mad....

I'd agree that it seems that way but this result could have easily happened at Sheffield United for example. Its not like our performances have been so much better leading up to this 1 game. I'd say the Arsenal game stands out as one where we threw them a massive lifeline though.

22 minutes ago, bluedave said:

Didn’t like the starting lineup when I saw it, too defence-orientated, and those subs were just weird. We dominated possession but so what, a boring draw is all we deserve. It’s a lovely sunny day here and I’m regretting wasting the better part of my Saturday to stay in and watch this.

Agreed, I was glad when i had to miss the second half to go to work

2 minutes ago, just said:

Kante gives miles more than Jorginho IMO. Take Jorginho's short five yard passing away from him, (that's 95% of his game anyway), and I don't think he gives us anything over Kante. Not pace, tempo, tackling and certainly not creativity.

The reason we lost today was not n'golo Kante. Mount and him were the only decent players we had for the full 90 minutes.

i agree the reason we drew is because our forward line was unbelievely poor.. cant think of one decent moment between the likes of Werner, CHO (maybe 1), Ziyech, Tammy.. absolute dross! not good enough for EPL

3 minutes ago, just said:

Kante and Mount were our best players today i completely agree. Our midfield was not the issue today, until Jorginho and Ziyech had as bad as possible a 15 min cameo as you can get. This draw was down to the back three and being toothless upfront.

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

Today I will give him the benefit of the doubt it was for rotational purposes but it's becoming painfully clear now Kante should be a squad option for when tactical purposes require him going forward.

Jorginho, Kovacic, Gilmour and even Barkley are more suited to our style these days.

This summer we will need to decide what direction to take in terms of the squad. If we back a starting mid with Jorgi/Kova we know what to expect. I am hoping we go with something a bit more dynamic. Gilmour for sure and then we have players returning from loans to consider e.g. Gallagher, RLC, Barkley.

4 minutes ago, just said:

Didn't say he was the reason for losing two points. But surely you saw how poor his passing was today? Jorginho passes short but with Kovacic that works well. Between them they have the ability to control games but with Kante in there everything is way more chaotic. 

Thought we've struggled with a poor midfield twice so far under Tuchel. Both times Kante was part of it against Barnsley and today.

Every game Jorginho & Kovacic have had together under Tuchel we have dominated midfield. For me that's enough proof that they should be the pairing until further notice. 

19 minutes ago, Slojo said:

When do I ever revel in our downfall and post sh*t like that to cause arguments? I have a laugh every now and then but time and place for it. 

Every time we drop points is this what we're going to get every time? Frank Lampard brought up, pictures of him smiling and cheering. Oh great... And I got slaughtered on here for even suggesting that some people want us to do badly in spite of Lampard. 

Sorry mate, but that’s rich coming from someone that threw Frank under the bus during the slump. Someone else is not allowed to make a joke? And I am not discussing Tuchel v Lampard now, I’ve come to terms and I’m supporting our coach and team, but come on mate, don’t get that easily hurt when you were doing it before the new regime. 

I don't think that Tammy and Werner in particular should take the full blame for our poor attack. Yes they are not playing well and the first touch of Werner and hold up from Tammy are bad. 

But also midfield are not supplying or supporting anywhere near enough. Timo in my opinion was poor today, but like many games prior to this he is looking for the ball, off the shoulder of the opponent and it's not coming.

We prick around and recycle too much, if we had 20 chances a game and the boys up top missed them all then fair enough but recently we've created shag all.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Didn't say he was the reason for losing two points. But surely you saw how poor his passing was today? Jorginho passes short but with Kovacic that works well. Between them they have the ability to control games but with Kante in there everything is way more chaotic. 

Thought we've struggled with a poor midfield twice so far under Tuchel. Both times Kante was part of it against Barnsley and today.

Every game Jorginho & Kovacic have had together under Tuchel we have dominated midfield. For me that's enough proof that they should be the pairing until further notice. 

Absolutely nonsense. You clearly didnt watch the match today then did you. Kante was our best player with Mount. Kova had a good first half and then suddenly he went really bad and got substituted. And jorginho came on and was terrible. 

So how youve come to the conclusion that weve won with them two and drew if they are seperated is lazy laughable and sounds like half the crazies on here who have a set agenda.

2 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Dominate the midfield?? 

Our midfield turned Sheffield United midfielder into Zidane. 

1 minute ago, Carloseyebrow said:

I don't think that Tammy and Werner in particular should take the full blame for our poor attack. Yes they are not playing well and the first touch of Werner and hold up from Tammy are bad. 

But also midfield are not supplying or supporting anywhere near enough. Timo in my opinion was poor today, but like many games prior to this he is looking for the ball, off the shoulder of the opponent and it's not coming.

We prick around and recycle too much, if we had 20 chances a game and the boys up top missed them all then fair enough but recently we've created shag all.

if Werner is playing as a second striker he needs to be able to pass a ball.. every time he  has the ball he invariably looses it.. underhits and overhits.. his passing ratio would be in the low 50s...

1 minute ago, Oli said:

Absolutely nonsense. You clearly didnt watch the match today then did you. Kante was our best player with Mount. Kova had a good first half and then suddenly he went really bad and got substituted. And jorginho came on and was terrible. 

So how youve come to the conclusion that weve won with them two and drew if they are seperated is lazy laughable and sounds like half the crazies on here who have a set agenda.

i think Anthony Taylor and he has a history and the ref got under his skin.. he completely lost it and that derailed us....

6 minutes ago, forbzy said:

This summer we will need to decide what direction to take in terms of the squad. If we back a starting mid with Jorgi/Kova we know what to expect. I am hoping we go with something a bit more dynamic. Gilmour for sure and then we have players returning from loans to consider e.g. Gallagher, RLC, Barkley.

For all the sh*t we played against Barnsley, I thought Gilmour showed some of the best range passes we’ve seen since Cesc. I think that given time, he’ll be great for us but he needs playing time, and I think that if Tuchel is going to rotate, he needs to consider Gilmour as second to Jorginho. I am not convince about Kova-Kante, why not try Gilmour in the mix?

17 minutes ago, just said:

For the first 30 minutes Kante rolled back the years.

For the last hour he showed exactly why he should be playing a squad player (similar to Cesc under Conte) role going forward.

Edited by Argo
4 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

He’s probably secretly pleased at the result, given his terrible origins...

Absolutely not, my terrible origins made me want to win today more than anyone on here. I once started mini a riot in "the saints" (it's a pub in southampton, quite infamous in the area) because my sister decided to pick the room next door to celebrate her son's first birthday when we beat them 3-1 and that was because of another snowflake took exception to something mildly innocuous 

20 minutes ago, dkw said:

Threw CHO under the bus there, that will do his confidence some good.

No player like to have that done to them dkw but I actually back TT where CHO is concerned. 

He has been playing him more than Lamps and at HT probably gave him clear instructions of what he wanted him to do. Lets face it, he was frustrating. Just before being hooked, he had a clear chance to put one on a plate for a team mate but only found a saints defender. He's not an academy player any more, NOW is the time for him to step up and not put in average performances. At least he knows now he can't cruise through games and what's expected of him.

Hopefully, rather than effect his confidence it could be the making of him.