Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

coco

Had to be the early game. We dont like early kick offs a lot of the time.

How many have Saints lost in a row? 7? Someone let TT know about our habit of being charitable to such sides and make sure he stamps it out.

With games against Atletico and United to come I would not risk Silva for this one.

Mendy

Azpi

Christensen

Rudiger

James

Kovacic

Jorginho

Chilwell

Mount

Werner

CHO

2 hours ago, Gol15 said:

IMO this is going to be a hard game. Good that the team is fighting hard and working hard, if that intensity drops we might find ourselves in trouble.

I totally agree. This will be the first team since Barnsley to press us. i just pray we have the courage to play through their press instead of always passing back to the defenders

Bit of a bogey team, and if we are not up for it I can see us dropping points as bad a the Saints have been.  If they press us we are screwed, we just have not got the players at the back to play through the first press..hopefully Tommy has been working on that this week.  

Being a blue for so long means i take nothing for granted....ive put aside chelsea havent lost under thomas....ive put aside southampton havent won for a while....football is not predictable otherwise we would all have won the pools...i worry about all games nowadays purely because there is imo something missing from the chelsea side ...so im putting this.as a draw in my mind and hoping

18 hours ago, Gol15 said:

IMO this is going to be a hard game. Good that the team is fighting hard and working hard, if that intensity drops we might find ourselves in trouble.

Why do you think its going to be a hard game ? They have conceded 18 goals in their last 5 games, the worst team in the whole of England on recent form.

Captureaaaa.PNG

15 minutes ago, Mike Carefree said:

Being a blue for so long means i take nothing for granted....ive put aside chelsea havent lost under thomas....ive put aside southampton havent won for a while....football is not predictable otherwise we would all have won the pools...i worry about all games nowadays purely because there is imo something missing from the chelsea side ...so im putting this.as a draw in my mind and hoping

Fair points, for me I think we will win and the Saints will be looking for a new manager.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Why do you think its going to be a hard game ? They have conceded 18 goals in their last 5 games, the worst team in the whole of England on recent form.

Captureaaaa.PNG

We have some history "helping out the teams that are struggling"... The Saints are not as bad as their record has been recently so the team must go in the game with full intensity.

26 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

We have some history "helping out the teams that are struggling"... The Saints are not as bad as their record has been recently so the team must go in the game with full intensity.

If we don't get a comfortable 3 points against Southampton at the moment, i don't hold out much hope in the games to follow.

28 minutes ago, coco said:

If we don't get a comfortable 3 points against Southampton at the moment, i don't hold out much hope in the games to follow.

Yes but every game is different, we must not underestimate Southampton IMO because they can punish us and then make the game much harder for us. We should get the 3 points comfortably like you say but I can't help but to worry about us being overconfident.

13 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Yes but every game is different, we must not underestimate Southampton IMO because they can punish us and then make the game much harder for us. We should get the 3 points comfortably like you say but I can't help but to worry about us being overconfident.

Southampton we’re doing ok and their manager had/has made them organised , but this is the team that has been stuffed 9-0 twice in successive seasons by teams above us and challenging for a top 4 place, not to mention being beaten recently by some of the lesser lights in the PL.

If we seriously expect to be ‘contenders’ we have to be beating the likes of the S’hampton, it’s not a question of being over confident, it’s a question of the natural order of things when you have PL & CL expectations - we don’t wanna be diffident or timid, this is about belief, it’s about time we started to walk with a bit of a swagger and introduce that fear factor when teams play us, especially mid table teams on a bad run IMO.

Saint's have been desperately unlucky in some games of late.

We often make a habit of giving a helping hand for opposition teams to " turn the corner".. Arsenal for one this season.

no way is this nailed on, gonna be a hard afternoon I reckon.

come on you Blues !

Look to avenge our draw earlier in the season that was 2 valuable points dropped. Werner turned on the style in the reverse fixture hoping he can do it again. With Athletico in mind I'm expecting same formation a few different personnel.

Can't afford a drop off in intensity and I think rotation is going to be key for this next month of fixtures. The players are going to need to step up their levels of productivity in the final third. Here's hoping Tommy gets them firing and we actually score more than 2 goals in a game. If not I'll gladly take grinding out 2-0 wins as long as the defense looks solid.

Edited by LongtimerLurker