Southampton v Chelsea (PL) Sat 20th Feb 2021 12:30 GMT

Chelsea has to get the offense going. They are not beating Athleti Madrid, VARUnited, Everton, etc  with the current approach. The use of Alonso and Jorghinio is quite puzzling. I don't see either one as an offensive threat and they both are defensive liabilities. The South Hampton game is the perfect time to get Pulisic and Ziyech back in the lineup. Have Pulisic play central and Ziyech on the right. Put CHO on the left where Alonso has been playing. Have Mount back as a 6 along with Kovacic. 

3 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

Chelsea has to get the offense going. They are not beating Athleti Madrid, VARUnited, Everton, etc  with the current approach. The use of Alonso and Jorghinio is quite puzzling. I don't see either one as an offensive threat and they both are defensive liabilities. The South Hampton game is the perfect time to get Pulisic and Ziyech back in the lineup. Have Pulisic play central and Ziyech on the right. Put CHO on the left where Alonso has been playing. Have Mount back as a 6 along with Kovacic. 

Fully agree with this, Tuchel needs to move away from the safe tedious style we are playing at some point and get us playing more on the front foot, the run of games we have now could undo all the good work he has done so far if we continue with this overly defensive play, we cant keep relying on the opposition creating few chances that they dont take. I disagree with putting Pulisic in the middle though, he needs to integrate Havertz back in as soon as possible and this game would be ideal as Southampton may (hopefully) play more open than the last several teams, given us more space to attack. 

13 minutes ago, dkw said:

Fully agree with this, Tuchel needs to move away from the safe tedious style we are playing at some point and get us playing more on the front foot, the run of games we have now could undo all the good work he has done so far if we continue with this overly defensive play, we cant keep relying on the opposition creating few chances that they dont take. I disagree with putting Pulisic in the middle though, he needs to integrate Havertz back in as soon as possible and this game would be ideal as Southampton may (hopefully) play more open than the last several teams, given us more space to attack. 

Who should Havert replace in the team ?

They are the worst form team at moment, we must capitalise on this and hit them when their confidence is low. Away game may help us as they have to come out and play a bit ( even without the noise of fans), and hopefully their leaky defence gives us extra chances. I think rotation will kick in, expect the likes of Chiwell\Pullisic\Kante to come in. Giroud has a good record against them, fancy him to score another.

2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

They lost 6 matches on the bounce, think 7 would be too much for their board.

I'm not knocking Hassenhutl just recognising currently they have a real issue.

Lost 6 consecutive games, including a 9-0 loss to Manchester United.

Only won 1 out of their last 11 games as well, which was against Liverpool.

Edited by Jezz

10 hours ago, TheGreatestGame said:

So you're suggesting this line-up for the next 4 games:

--------Werner-Giroud--------

------------Pulisic--------------

CHO--Mount--Kovacic--Ziyech

---Rüdiger---Silva---Azpi------

------------Mendy------------

You're a brave man

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Sorry, I meant TheGreatestGames post where he had Pulisic in the middle.

Werner - Giroud 

Ziyech 

Cho - Kova - Mount - Puli

Rudi - chris - Azpi

We will have cho or puli to defend penalty box  not sure that is wise. 

14 minutes ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

So you're suggesting this line-up for the next 4 games:

--------Werner-Giroud--------

------------Pulisic--------------

CHO--Mount--Kovacic--Ziyech

---Rüdiger---Silva---Azpi------

------------Mendy------------

You're a brave man

Got to love these football manager type teams lol this line up would get torn to shreds by most of the opposition named! 

We seem to be the team to play if you are underperforming, Everton had 1 win in 7 and ravaged by injuries when they played us & somehow managed to get the win, Arsenal had no wins in 8 league games and devoid of any confidence and they ended up dominating us & Wolves had 1 win in 5 and managed to come from behind to beat us. Even Manchester City were struggling for form before playing us and once again we managed to push start their sprint towards another league title.

Hopefully with a new Manager & better defensive structure especially on the transition we can see out the threat Southampton will bring on the counter and I am pretty sure we will manage to put a few past them.

9 hours ago, dkw said:

If only we could press like Barnsley it would be a start.!

Personally I don’t see Giroud as more than an off the bench player. He doesn’t suit the fast mobile high pressing style Tuchel has adopted. 
tammys injury is apparently not that bad and havertz is back in training. More options. 

‘’I might go with the team that started against Newcastle but with havertz replacing Giroud.