Mellis & Clifford - naughty boys

Gun slinging Ashley Cole today told Chelsea TV; "I'm very proud of the young players at this club, they're very quick learners and are keen to use their own initiative."

Not sure they need to be sacked for something like that, as long as it only ever happens once.

What were they thinking? You hear about some odd stuff in football but this is just ridiculous.

They're both good players so sacking them is ridiculous (it's not like they assaulted someone in a pub or anything...) but I think a stern reprimand and possibly some serious fines are in order. Maybe even something silly but fitting like scrubbing the floors and cleaning the mess that was made; not fair that the cleaning staff should have to deal with boneheaded players.

AVB expesses displeasure with the effectiveness of reserve team coach Dermot Drummy.

Reserve team members set-off smoke bomb in a dressing room.

Could be unconnected. Or it could by sympomatic of a lack of discipline in the young player program.

• 2 weeks later...

What a stupid thing to do.

But I do hate this part of the story:

"This is the latest incident to reflect badly on the club’s academy and parents of some young players are now considering whether to pull their children out."

They don't mention the other supposed incidents (apart from a knife that was found, which turned out to belong to a workman who had done some job there).

And no quotes supporting the rumour that some parents want to pull their children out.

But of course, this is the Daily Mail we're talking about. Guess I shouldn't expect any high standard from them. Or any standard at all.

Does seem harsh but couldn't ever see Mellis making it into the first team proper anyway.

Talking of naughty, did anyone notice the name of the sub who came on for us late in the semi final of the Man Utd game last Friday?

Nortei Nortey. Classic!!

Does seem harsh but couldn't ever see Mellis making it into the first team proper anyway.

Talking of naughty, did anyone notice the name of the sub who came on for us late in the semi final of the Man Utd game last Friday?

Nortei Nortey. Classic!!

Yeah, that name is brilliant. At first I thought the commentators were saying that someone had been "naughty, naughty", but then I saw the name of the player who was coming on and I just laughed. I really hope he can become a great player, because there's just an unlimited amount of songs we could make about him. :biggrin:

for setting off a smoke bomb at Cobham.

http://www.dailymail...bomb-prank.html

Chelsea have kicked out midfielder Jacob Mellis after he admitted setting off a smoke grenade and causing a full-scale evacuation at the club’s Cobham training ground.

Mellis made his first-team debut in the Champions League last season, but was told he had no future at the club during a disciplinary hearing.

Team-mate Billy Clifford has escaped with a fine after admitting he brought the grenade into the training centre.

Christ. Seems a bit extreme!

I'm hoping this is simply a way of getting a player off the payroll that the club thought had no future here, although it's still harsh on the youngster, especially considering Ashley actually shot someone with an air rifle and just got a slap on the wrist!

It just goes to show how different the players are treated. It was a silly thing to do but i would say it was less worse than what Cole did.

Anyways good luck to him for the future, im sure he will get another club soon.

I'm hoping this is simply a way of getting a player off the payroll that the club thought had no future here, although it's still harsh on the youngster, especially considering Ashley actually shot someone with an air rifle and just got a slap on the wrist!

Got to be - otherwise they'd have ditched Billy as well.

Bit of a plonker though!

I thought he'd only recently signed a new contract.

I think he got what he deserved to be honest. I'm surprised that Clifford got away with it.

I do agree though that there are double standards in play. It's a lot easier to sack a reserve team player who is probably never going to make it in to the first team than it is an international full back who is amongst the best in the world.