abramovich
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Getting old? Yes, I probably am.

What do I expect of him? As a centre-forward? Well, let me see. Lead the line. Provide a focal point to our attack in a central position. Hold the ball up when needed and occupy the centre-backs. Look to anticipate the ball and move behind the centre-halves. Generally, Evissy, all those things that a top quality centre-forward, (note: the use of the title Centre-Forward), should do.

Torres came on and played well out wide. Certainly better than both Hazard and Oscar yesterday. Unfortunately, that is not his primary role and not what he was brought for.

What a load of nonsense....He has a contract with Chelsea, one which the club were happy to give him. If he doesnt want to move or take a pay cut then he has no need to do so. Nothing to be scared about.

Malouda has a contract that Chelsea were once happy to give him too. That hasnt worked out well recently, has it?

What a load of nonsense....He has a contract with Chelsea, one which the club were happy to give him. If he doesnt want to move or take a pay cut then he has no need to do so. Nothing to be scared about.

Well no offence, but i have to disagree with this statement for a start. If a club decides to sell a player, it makes no odds whether the player wants to stay or not. It's commonly reported that Carroll was very reluctant to leave Newcastle for Liverpool and i don't think Berbatov was too happy about leaving United. If we decide not to offer Frank a new contract and he leaves this summer u can bet ur backside it isn't cos he wants to go.

He had an ok end to last season as well. I think its more to do with either trying to stay here next season or trying to attract better teams to come in for him. I hope its the second.

If Roman gives him another season then there is no hope for us. Even Jose couldnt get him playing well on a regular basis. We HAVE to cut our losses in the summer for everyones sake.

Also those of you moaning about this thread being the same thing over and over again. Its simple dont bother reading it then you idiots!

Gosh!  I wish I'd thought of that! :rofl:  You know it makes sense! 

Well no offence, but i have to disagree with this statement for a start. If a club decides to sell a player, it makes no odds whether the player wants to stay or not. It's commonly reported that Carroll was very reluctant to leave Newcastle for Liverpool and i don't think Berbatov was too happy about leaving United. If we decide not to offer Frank a new contract and he leaves this summer u can bet ur backside it isn't cos he wants to go.

Erm without the signiture of the player the deal can't happen so I don't know how you can claim it makes no odds what the player wants.

If no deal can be found that will suit all parties and the club are desperate to get him out the first team set up then we would have a Malouda situation as others have noted.

The circumstances are very different though- Malouda was a squad player seeing out the last 12 months of his contract. Torres is our highest paid player and, this summer, would still have 2 years to run out.

It would be an absolute stinker of a scenario if the club had Torres in the reserves doing nothing for 2 years earning £175K/week before allowing him to leave for no financial return what so ever.

As frustrating as it may be, Torres has a contract with us so as it stands he is pretty much the one who is holding cards with regards to any potential summer move away from us.

Erm without the signiture of the player the deal can't happen so I don't know how you can claim it makes no odds what the player wants.

If no deal can be found that will suit all parties and the club are desperate to get him out the first team set up then we would have a Malouda situation as others have noted.

The circumstances are very different though- Malouda was a squad player seeing out the last 12 months of his contract. Torres is our highest paid player and, this summer, would still have 2 years to run out.

It would be an absolute stinker of a scenario if the club had Torres in the reserves doing nothing for 2 years earning £175K/week before allowing him to leave for no financial return what so ever.

As frustrating as it may be, Torres has a contract with us so as it stands he is pretty much the one who is holding cards with regards to any potential summer move away from us.

Maybe they could make him an offer he couldnt refuse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZtyvlzVm7Y

Edited by Zola

Yer we never really made there keeper work today. Was good to see torres hassling there defence and looking up for it though. I have defended him in the past when many others didn't because of that very reason but for 2 or 3 months this season I stopped because he just didn't look interested. Hope he carries it on and gets some crucial goals.

I've been a huge critic of him, never really thought he cut the mustard. But it looks like there's a tiny chance that he may be hitting some good form. The MH stand were chanting his name on sunday, so I guess a lot of people are easily pleased!

I've been a huge critic of him, never really thought he cut the mustard. But it looks like there's a tiny chance that he may be hitting some good form. The MH stand were chanting his name on sunday, so I guess a lot of people are easily pleased!

Yes, that's where i was sat for yesterday's game, MHL. We were singing his name cos of how much the game changed in the second half when he came on. He seems to be making more of an effort now and i love the guy but it seems to be too little too late, he enjoyed a great end to last season too. If he could be brilliant all season then maybe we'd all love him to stay. I'd love him to stay, but it's no good if the team is suffering and the club can't move forward.

Yes a player needs to sign a contract with a new club but i suppose this one would come down to pride. If we wanted to sell a player, and he doesn't want to go, we can simply let him rot in the reserves. Sounds bad but we can, so it comes down to how badly the player wants to stay or if he'd rather be actually doing what he's paid for, which is playing first team football at a great club.

Am I the only one who finds this ongoing hysteria really quite sad? Torres puts in a little bit of effort and all of a sudden people start to irrationally believe that he's miraculously on his way back to his former self.

When are people going to realise that it's been 4 years since Torres was a world-class CF. One 45 minute spell of successfully harrying the opposition's back four is not going to change anything. Torres is finished, simple as. And it would be great if this thread were too.

Edited by Celery1989

He was effectively our only centre forward from about late October onward when it was confirmed pretty early that Sturridge was off to Liverpool.

It was poor squad management going into the season with only two recongnised strikers especially when one of them seemed fairly intent on leaving.

I think most strikers thrive on the competition around them and Torres should have had that competition and level of rotation from the start of the season but the truth is he will be one of our most fielded players this season when he has been very average overall for most of the season. 

Am I the only one who finds this ongoing hysteria really quite sad? Torres puts in a little bit of effort and all of a sudden people start to irrationally believe that he's miraculously on his way back to his former self.

When are people going to realise that it's been 4 years since Torres was a world-class CF. One 45 minute spell of successfully harrying the opposition's back four is not going to change anything. Torres is finished, simple as. And it would be great if this thread were too.

Has anyone actually said he is on his way back to being his former self?

From what I have seen it is just people evaluating his performances, as always, which over the last couple of games have been decent and the comments reflect this.

This is the Torres thread so if you don't want to read people thoughts on Torres I would suggest you save yourself the frustration and don't bother coming into the thread?

Probably not to that extent though I still find it ridiculous that some people think he deserves to stay at the club next season if he improves for our remaining fixtures.

I agree, I think it is obvious to most he needs to leave this summer.

Bar the odd comment I wouldn't say many people are saying he is 'back' or even on his way to being 'back', most people are just saying how his performances have been improved ovet the last couple of games and that can only be a good thing for us, even if just to raise his value for any potential summer transfer.

People moaning because his best work came from out wide yesterday. He wasn't out wide all the time at all. He was chasing there CENTRE backs down all half and helping us get the ball back. No one has said it was an outstanding performance they have just credited torres with bringing a spark to the game that we needed to get the 3 points.

People will just make things up to get a few likes and make a point.

When are people going to realise that it's been 4 years since Torres was a world-class CF. One 45 minute spell of successfully harrying the opposition's back four is not going to change anything. Torres is finished, simple as.

Beautifully put.

Remy signed for QPR during the last window, he has 5 goals in 7 games (I think) and he joined a team struggling at the foot of the table, and he scored one of the goals of the season yesterday, and he cost £8m (I think).

Now now now, what does this have to do with Torres? Quite a lot, when you bear in mind the fangirling we are having to endure on this thread from the usual suspects regarding Torres' last game and a half for us against piss poor sides at home.

I mean, keep it in perspective folks. Yes, by Torres' standards he's looked half-decent in those recent run-outs but by any self-respecting centre-forward's standards .. Well .. I'll leave you to fill in the blanks.

Signing strikers has been a bit of a problem for us under Roman apart from Drogba of course (and even then his first two seasons were not the best)

But you look at Kezman, Mutu, Crespo, Kalou, Sheva and Torres and none of them have made a real impact. Mutu started off on fire and was amazing but went down hill from there. The others had certain games where they did well but all togther had not done well. You look at the money we spend on those players, you are looking at around 135 million pounds without wages.

Something needs to be looked at here, who is scouting our strikers? In nearly 10 years we have had 1 very very good striker in Drogba and you could argue Anelka did his part also. But other than that, all that time and all that money has been wasted.

Signing strikers has been a bit of a problem for us under Roman apart from Drogba of course (and even then his first two seasons were not the best)

But you look at

Kezman - £5m

Mutu - £15

Crespo - £15

Kalou - £8m

Sheva  - £30m

Torres - £50m

and none of them have made a real impact. Mutu started off on fire and was amazing but went down hill from there. The others had certain games where they did well but all togther had not done well. You look at the money we spend on those players, you are looking at around 135 million pounds without wages.

Something needs to be looked at here, who is scouting our strikers? In nearly 10 years we have had 1 very very good striker in Drogba and you could argue Anelka did his part also. But other than that, all that time and all that money has been wasted.

I don't remember the exact fees for the listed players but anywho, that's £123m roughly on those strikers you have listed and that's a whole lot of money considering none of them were prolific for us.

Crespo looked for us but then came the whole home sick thing, if he had settled in London I think he would have been immense. 

I completely agree that our record for signing strikers, considering our resources is terrible. 

Kezman - £5m - i thought it was more like 8 million

Mutu - £15 - I think this was 17 odd or was it Crespo.

Crespo - £15 - I think this was more 16 or maybe 17m, i get the Mutu and Crespo fee mixed up.

Kalou - £8m - pretty sure it was about 12 mill we paid.

Sheva - £30m

Torres - £50m

He needs to leave, but he won't for a couple of years.

I think the best we can do as fans is support him and hope he pulls a few surprises like he did against Rubin (2 goals) and Sunderland (great burst of space, attacking threat).

Yes it's a bit late in the season for him to suddenly start showing promise and scoring for us, but he'll never get back to the level he was at a few years ago.

Kezman - £5m - i thought it was more like 8 million

Mutu - £15 - I think this was 17 odd or was it Crespo.

Crespo - £15 - I think this was more 16 or maybe 17m, i get the Mutu and Crespo fee mixed up.

Kalou - £8m - pretty sure it was about 12 mill we paid.

Sheva - £30m

Torres - £50m

Apologies I misread your comment at first, I didn't mean to appear to be quibbling over £10m in transfer fees. 

Probably not to that extent though I still find it ridiculous that some people think he deserves to stay at the club next season if he improves for our remaining fixtures.

I will be supporting him until he leaves. He's been absolutely crap I know but there's no point in booing him if he's actually giving it 100%

He needs to leave, but he won't for a couple of years.

I think the best we can do as fans is support him and hope he pulls a few surprises like he did against Rubin (2 goals) and Sunderland (great burst of space, attacking threat).

Yes it's a bit late in the season for him to suddenly start showing promise and scoring for us, but he'll never get back to the level he was at a few years ago.

I honestly think he'll be off in the summer. Roman doesnt have much patience, why should he have patience with Nando