Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

el_gitano, not sure why I have to explain but I will.

All the admins and moderators have spoken at length about this topic. This isn't actually the one topic, it was a few merged topics put into one, hence Groundhog Day.

It was decided, that if this was locked, more and more topics will be started for every individual to make their point.

With this one (albeit annoying) topic, it means people can avoid it if need be, instead of reading the same spread over new topics everywhere.

You didn´t have to explain.It makes total sense. I made a stupid, thoughtless comment. I  know that if this one was locked, twelve others would appear immediatly.

It´s frustrating that this topic has wormed his way on other players threads as well. It´s not the fault of the mods though.

I am sorry.

Really, I think you are worrying unduly.  No real ShedEnder insults people without provocation - sometimes we send jokey insults at each other.  It is not a given on here that people act insultingly towards each other.  The Mods are scrupulous in vetting that and warning/getting rid of persistent offenders.

Why don't you start a thread in the Newbies section introducing yourself, then everyone will know you're a genuine Shed End newbie.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the insults and mocking directed  ( constructive criticism is fine) at the players. I´m just at the wrong place.

Edited by el_gitano

I think you misunderstood me. I meant the insults and mocking directed at the players. I´m just at the wrong place.

Ah yes, I did misunderstand you.  Not everybody does it (insults and mocks the players) and usually they are defended pretty fiercely.  Indeed the mockers are often from rival teams and are but thinly disguised as Chelsea supporters. 

Take time to look around other threads before dismissing us.  We're awfully nice when you get to know us.   :smile:

el_gitano, not sure why I have to explain but I will.

All the admins and moderators have spoken at length about this topic. This isn't actually the one topic, it was a few merged topics put into one, hence Groundhog Day.

It was decided, that if this was locked, more and more topics will be started for every individual to make their point.

With this one (albeit annoying) topic, it means people can avoid it if need be, instead of reading the same spread over new topics everywhere.

This thread is pure gold. No other current team has a claim to ownership of the biggest transfer disaster in the history of football. Is it any wonder that it gets so many hits and comments? Not only from the regulars on here but so many visiting fans.

Every week there is a new rumour. And the fact that there appears to be no end in sight makes it even more entertaining.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ReK1waJFhLI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This thread is pure gold. No other current team has a claim to ownership of the biggest transfer disaster in the history of football. Is it any wonder that it gets so many hits and comments? Not only from the regulars on here but so many visiting fans.

Every week there is a new rumour. And the fact that there appears to be no end in sight makes it even more entertaining.

Thats your opinion and the papers see above post.

Ah yes, I did misunderstand you.  Not everybody does it (insults and mocks the players) and usually they are defended pretty fiercely.  Indeed the mockers are often from rival teams and are but thinly disguised as Chelsea supporters. 

Take time to look around other threads before dismissing us.  We're awfully nice when you get to know us.   :smile:

I am not so sure about that, but I might be wrong.

Thank you for being so nice and welcoming!

I'm not tired of Torres, I'm tired him playing so bad when he's capable of so much more. I'll always back him 100% at Chelsea. Yes the excuses do get old but the fact is he's just off form.

My big issue is with the folks that panicked and paid 50 mill to buy him in the first place.

Come on Nando !

We bought Torres to help us win the Champions League. And we won it, and Torres scored some of the goals on the way. Who can say that we would have won it without him I think it was money well spent.

Edited by Domin11trix

I hope no one ever states on here again that Chelsea fans have more class than fans of any other club.

It`s also mind-boggling that no mod has locked this thread. I know it would be in vain but still...

Think most of us joke about it more than anything. Shouldn't take eeverything so literally.

We bought Torres to help us win the Champions League. And we won it, and Torres scored some of the goals on the way. Who can say that we would have won it without him I think it was money well spent.

exactly not only did he do that but the goal destroyed Barcelona as a team, they have not been the same team since. and no one likes to see that! MUCH

exactly not only did he do that but the goal destroyed Barcelona as a team, they have not been the same team since. and no one likes to see that! MUCH

Well to be more accurate we destroyed Barca a few years before but apart from some shoddy refereeing the destruction was prolonged but inevitable and yes Torres certainly helped put the final nail in the coffin.

I won't speak for anyone else but I think we have certainly supported Torres a great deal through this time. However, one can only go so long and if he refuses to leave as presumed then he has every right to take the criticism. If he is willing to take it for the paycheck so be it. Who am I to say he should forfeit a ridiculous salary. I would probably do the same if I am being honest. That said we do deserve the right to criticize him or any other player in a similar situation. As mentioned, it is not like we are burning his Jersey and booing him off the pitch. Most would thoroughly enjoy to see him do well.

Edited by DoubleHelix

Think most of us joke about it more than anything. Shouldn't take eeverything so literally.

I think you're right. You'll always get the occasional nutter with a deep-seated hatred of any player who fails to live up to his Championship Manager or Fifa whatever the f**k it is expectations, but such people are best ignored or shat on from a great height. whichever seems most appropriate at any given time.

And just to prove the point, for those of you who can't be bothered to follow the link, I now present (again), the sad and sorry tale of:

Eric The Toy Salesman

Not so long ago I watched a film called the "The Magnificent Two, in which Eric Morecambe plays a toy salesman who is mistaken for a rebel leader, the rebel leader in question having been killed while travelling on the same train as Eric and Ern in a small country in South America. And the name of that rebel leader:

Fernando Torres.

I kid you not.

And so I ask myself could there be a clue here? Could a film from 1967 possibly provide a facsimile of an explanation for the drastic loss of form of our own Fernando Torres? If not actually deceased then could it be that the real Fernando Torres, Spanish international and formerly of Atletico Madrid and another team, the name of which escapes me – you’ll have to excuse my poor grasp of ancient history here - in the North West of England has been replaced by an imposter, whether by choice, by accident or as a result of deeds most foul?

Could it be that the person purporting to be Chelsea’s number nine is, if not a toy salesman, then a lower league footballer perhaps.

If this is indeed the case and if the real Fernando Torres is out there somewhere, in hiding perhaps – for reasons known only to himself, then I would urge him to make a return from exile and to usurp this imposter, to make himself known to us, to show us all exactly why the club were prepared to pay such an enormous fee for the player in the first place

Sadly I fear it may already be too late, that we may already have seen the last of the real Fernando Torres.

Not so long ago I watched a film called the "The Magnificent Two, in which Eric Morecambe plays a toy salesman who is mistaken for a rebel leader, the rebel leader in question having been killed while travelling on the same train as Eric and Ern in a small country in South America. And the name of that rebel leader:

Fernando Torres.

I kid you not.

And so I ask myself could there be a clue here? Could a film from 1967 possibly provide a facsimile of an explanation for the drastic loss of form of our own Fernando Torres? If not actually deceased then could it be that the real Fernando Torres, Spanish international and formerly of Atletico Madrid and another team, the name of which escapes me – you’ll have to excuse my poor grasp of ancient history here - in the North West of England has been replaced by an imposter, whether by choice, by accident or as a result of deeds most foul?

Could it be that the person purporting to be Chelsea’s number nine is, if not a toy salesman, then a lower league footballer perhaps.

If this is indeed the case and if the real Fernando Torres is out there somewhere, in hiding perhaps – for reasons known only to himself, then I would urge him to make a return from exile and to usurp this imposter, to make himself known to us, to show us all exactly why the club were prepared to pay such an enormous fee for the player in the first place

Sadly I fear it may already be too late, that we may already have seen the last of the real Fernando Torres.

I wrote the above in November 2012. Getting on for two years later, it's un-be-credible (my favourite hybrid wordoid of the moment) how little has changed since then.

Malanda on Wolfsburg just had the worst miss I have ever seen in a football match, and it was to tie the match against Bayern with ten minutes left. :face_palm:

It puts all of Torres's efforts to shame so for at least one day I am happy to have Torres over another striker. Hopefully a vine of it will be put up soon, it's too incredible not to be seen.

Guest RFC_CFC

Can 'anyone' point out what Torres did this week to earn his £175,000 ???

Neither can I ...

Just about sums up how desperate this situation is ...

Boring post.

Torres' was worse than that. That one came back off the bar at pace as he was running at it. Torres' had the ball under control and wasn't off balance.

He was also running away from the goal at top speed and turning/shooting with his weaker foot.

Edited by Jonty