César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Guest Sindre

He really had a mare yesterday. Similarly, to Alonso he is just not quick enough anymore to be a fullback for the team we are trying to be. He should have done much better on Uniteds last three goals and he’s so poor offensively that teams are fine with him having the ball and space on the right knowing full well that he will not be able to make it home in time when we lose the ball.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

So you expect Kovacic to play every game next to either one of those two?

Dunno, probably be Barkley, Kova and Loftus-Cheek all fighting for that role. I expect that Loftus-Cheek will be preferred over Kovacic if he stays fit. 

11 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

Reminds me of Ivanovic in 15/16, bench him.

At least Ivanovic gave us something from set pieces and got forward a bit more (arguably) than Azpi. I would say Azpilicueta is equally as good defensively.

We need an all rounder - good going forward and in defence. I think Reece James will be that guy. He is such a fantastic prospect. I am looking forward to seeing him play. 

Dave sticking up for the youngsters;

"If they are here it is because they deserve to be," said Azpilicueta. "They are fighting in every training session. We trust in them.

All the boys, they train to play for the Chelsea first team since they were young and now we have a massive opportunity to create a fantastic group, to learn from every game.”

Must be nice for them to hear from one of the senior figures in the dressing room as well as the manager. 

If I was in charge, and thank God I'm not, I'd consider dropping Zouma and moving Dave into the centre alongside Christensen, and bringing in Zappacosta at RB. At least until Rüdiger and/or James are back fit. 

It's quite strange that Dave is nominally a RB but he's arguably been better for us at CB and even LB.

19 hours ago, bluedave said:

If I was in charge, and thank God I'm not, I'd consider dropping Zouma and moving Dave into the centre alongside Christensen, and bringing in Zappacosta at RB. At least until Rüdiger and/or James are back fit. 

It's quite strange that Dave is nominally a RB but he's arguably been better for us at CB and even LB.

I've said this for a while, Dave is more suited to the centre.

28 minutes ago, coco said:

....in a back three.

Or a back two. How many teams pump balls forward to a target man in the box anymore? Dave excels in touch tight defending and has lost his pace. Same height as Zanetti, Bobby Moore, Puyol etc. 

What makes you think he couldn't do it in a two man defence?

I would certainly be open to trying him at CB next to Rudiger. I don't think his legs have gone, but I do think he struggles to stay composed defensively after doing so much running up and down the pitch. I agree with @RIP Mourinho too, not many teams pump the ball to a target man these days so I don't think he would struggle too much.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Or a back two. How many teams pump balls forward to a target man in the box anymore? Dave excels in touch tight defending and has lost his pace. Same height as Zanetti, Bobby Moore, Puyol etc. 

What makes you think he couldn't do it in a two man defence?

33 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I would certainly be open to trying him at CB next to Rudiger. I don't think his legs have gone, but I do think he struggles to stay composed defensively after doing so much running up and down the pitch. I agree with @RIP Mourinho too, not many teams pump the ball to a target man these days so I don't think he would struggle too much.

Remember how we lost our record breaking run of wins under Conte ? Away to spuds, Dave got done like a kipper by Ali twice with headers from diagonal balls and we lost 0-2. Not saying it wouldnt work, just that Rudiger is about to return, and with Christensen we need them to settle down and make a good partnership so we can rely on our defence again, so Dave would just be temporarily standing in.

I do think Frank should consider a back three again, if we continue to haemorrhage goals like we did Sunday, then he will need to consider it.

When Rudiger returns, James at RB and Emerson LB, we have attacking full backs now, so we wouldnt need the width up front and could could play a back three.

Kepa

Cesar     Rudiger    Christensen      

James                Kante                   Emerson

Barkley     Mount       Pulisic

Abraham

5-4-1 without ball.

3-4-3 with ball.

And when CHO RLC return...

Kepa

CHO          RLC         Pulisic

Abraham

5 hours ago, coco said:

When Rudiger returns, James at RB and Emerson LB, we have attacking full backs now, so we wouldnt need the width up front and could could play a back three.

Kepa

Barkley     Mount       Pulisic

Abraham

5-4-1 without ball.

3-4-3 with ball.

And when CHO RLC return...

Kepa

CHO          RLC         Pulisic

Abraham

Kante isn't a holding mid though, back three worked because we had Matic next to him. We struggled with a pivot of Cesc/Kante. 

Also, Christensen would need to be in the centre, Rudiger to the side Cahill was on.

Genuinely don’t understand the blame he gets. 

The second goal - the ball came off Martials shin, personally thought both Christensen (who let the ball go past him) and Kepa (it was only ever going to be crossed in to the box from that angle. he should have anticipated it and came a couple of yards off the line and he catches that). To blame Azpilicueta alone for that is harsh, although he could have defended the cross better by getting goal-side.

The third goal - his fault, he didn’t pick up Rashfords run.

The fourth goal - in all honesty, very few players are keeping up with Pogba in full flow. It’s actually Emerson who comes in far too narrow to help Christensen when Azpi is covering round which leaves James unmarked to receive the pass.

He wasn’t great on Sunday but no worse than our other defenders in my opinion. Reece will probably displace him over the course of the season, but he’s definitely not finished as a player & he’s certainly not dropped to the levels Ivanovic had. We played with a lowish block in those days and Ivan still looked like he was running through treacle. Our full backs are asked to press for 90 minutes a game and that just doesn’t suit Azpilicuetas style. As others have said, I’d quite like to seem him in a back 2, the days of shelling the ball to 6ft5 strikers are gone for most clubs. 

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He wasn’t great on Sunday but no worse than our other defenders in my opinion. Reece will probably displace him over the course of the season, but he’s definitely not finished as a player & he’s certainly not dropped to the levels Ivanovic had. We played with a lowish block in those days and Ivan still looked like he was running through treacle. Our full backs are asked to press for 90 minutes a game and that just doesn’t suit Azpilicuetas style. As others have said, I’d quite like to seem him in a back 2, the days of shelling the ball to 6ft5 strikers are gone for most clubs. 

He hasn't got to 15/16 Ivan levels yet but that's kind of the point, with Ivanovic we should have acted in 13/14 when the signs of decline were clearly evident and got at the very least a rotation option in to lighten the load but instead he was overplayed and we didn't pull our finger out until a year after he was too physically and mentally exhausted to play PL level anymore.

With Reece we have a perfect chance to avoid the same error again because Azpi's hasn't been rotated properly since he's arrived and it's starting to show. If he carries on being overplayed it's only a matter of time before he becomes a severe liability.

20 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Jumping the gun a bit. I don't think he has been anywhere near as bad as Ivanovic was before he was dropped.

Not as bad as Ivan's final season, but the decline was steady, similar to this current decline. If we keep Azpi for a couple more years, he'll be as bad as Ivan was towards the end.

Some players decline at 26, some decline at 36, im not sure whether Azpilicueta is losing it, but he has been a yard off the pace for 4 of the 6 goals we have conceded so far. The goals weren't entirely down to him, but when he is in the team for his defensive ability, it is a worrying start to the season for him.

1. Lets Martial get in front of him far to easy, just doesnt react quick enough.

2. Plays Rashford onside, not in line with the rest of defence.

3. Pogba leaves him for dead to set up james. 

4. Plays Firmino onside again not stepping out quick enough. 

Hopefully he picks up quickly, but I can see Reece James taking his place pretty quickly in all honesty. Lampard has already shown he is willing to put these kids in, and if he has to make a ruthless decision, he will. 

1 hour ago, big blue said:

Some players decline at 26, some decline at 36, im not sure whether Azpilicueta is losing it, but he has been a yard off the pace for 4 of the 6 goals we have conceded so far. The goals weren't entirely down to him, but when he is in the team for his defensive ability, it is a worrying start to the season for him.

1. Lets Martial get in front of him far to easy, just doesnt react quick enough.

2. Plays Rashford onside, not in line with the rest of defence.

3. Pogba leaves him for dead to set up james. 

4. Plays Firmino onside again not stepping out quick enough. 

Hopefully he picks up quickly, but I can see Reece James taking his place pretty quickly in all honesty. Lampard has already shown he is willing to put these kids in, and if he has to make a ruthless decision, he will. 

3 - I’m sure I’ve said this before but Pogba would leave most players for dead when he’s flying, which he was. Emerson shouldn’t have come inside and left James unmarked wider.

4 - harsh, the ball broke kindly to Fabinho and he put it over our back four first time, it was a fortunate goal which was only confirmed with Mane managing to fumble the ball in.

As Spiller said, I thought he done well last night, as did the rest of the back four. I think James will play a part this role and that will hopefully benefit Azpilicueta as he’s never really been rotated since he displaced Cole at LB. 

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

3 - I’m sure I’ve said this before but Pogba would leave most players for dead when he’s flying, which he was. Emerson shouldn’t have come inside and left James unmarked wider.

4 - harsh, the ball broke kindly to Fabinho and he put it over our back four first time, it was a fortunate goal which was only confirmed with Mane managing to fumble the ball in.

As Spiller said, I thought he done well last night, as did the rest of the back four. I think James will play a part this role and that will hopefully benefit Azpilicueta as he’s never really been rotated since he displaced Cole at LB. 

I think 3 and 4 wouldnt have happened if Azpilicueta was at the top of his game, he just seems slower to react and slower to recover imo.

That being said i think did okay on the whole last night. 

He has set an incredibly high standard though the years, but i would be suprised if James hasnt dislodged him by the end of the season, especially with Lampard's comments about how it is important to get reece back, as he will be an important player for us this season.