César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I said this last year, azpi just needs someone else to play at right back and for us to rotate. Zappa wasn't good enough, hopefully Reece James can step up. 

A full back is a punishing position these days and I don't think any full back in Europe has played as much as azpi has the last 3-4 years. 

5 hours ago, bisright1 said:

I said this last year, azpi just needs someone else to play at right back and for us to rotate. Zappa wasn't good enough, hopefully Reece James can step up. 

A full back is a punishing position these days and I don't think any full back in Europe has played as much as azpi has the last 3-4 years. 

Doesn't Robertson play just as much in a much more high energy role with no issue. I think Azpi isn't suitable to be a modern full back, not got the pace or stamina. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Doesn't Robertson play just as much in a much more high energy role with no issue. I think Azpi isn't suitable to be a modern full back, not got the pace or stamina. 

Worth noting that before last season under Sarri, Azpi played the previous 2 seasons in the center under Conte where he excelled. I know an attacking wingback is slightly different but clearly Conte didn't see Azpi is having the pace to fit that role back then. 

15 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Robertson played 48 games last year the first time he's played that many at this level. Azpi 57 last year and 52 the year before. It's not just the number of games it's also the consecutive seasons azpi has played this much football. 

• 2 weeks later...

He looks so much better as a wing back, attacking and defensive duties are much more balanced and he gets support from an extra CB just like Moses dd under Conte but Azpi is a better crosser of the ball.

I wonder if this formation is to stay but if it is then he's no where near finished yet

He did pretty well in both attack and defence, unlucky with that goal, and a minute later unlucky again to concede that free kick when the guy just landed onto him. If he's a yard faster, he'd be great within the current setup, and for that same reason can't wait to see what Reece James could do.

• 1 month later...

2 minutes ago, just said:

The stat given in the commentary tonight, is it true?

Dave, seven years at the club. In that period we have had 415 fixtures. He has played in 413 of them.

Staggering.

Wow, that is incredible. Wgat did he cost, £8m? Unbelievable value. 

11 minutes ago, just said:

The stat given in the commentary tonight, is it true?

Dave, seven years at the club. In that period we have had 415 fixtures. He has played in 413 of them.

Staggering.

I don't think they have that stat right. In his first 3 seasons at the club, he didn't play in every game. He was behind Ivanovic and Ashley Cole when he first arrived. He eventually replaced Ashley Cole at LB a few months after Mourinho arrived.

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think they have that stat right. In his first 3 seasons at the club, he didn't play in every game. He was behind Ivanovic and Ashley Cole when he first arrived. He eventually replaced Ashley Cole at LB a few months after Mourinho arrived.

That was the stat given on BT Sports match commentary tonight Scott. 

6 minutes ago, just said:

That was the stat given on BT Sports match commentary tonight Scott. 

Then they have it wrong. All of the stats I can find online show the same thing. In his first 3 seasons, he wasn't playing in every game like he has been for the last few years.

Tonight was his 350th game for the club.

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Then they have it wrong. All of the stats I can find online show the same thing. In his first 3 seasons, he wasn't playing in every game like he has been for the last few years.

Tonight was his 350th game for the club.

Thought at the time it seemed a bit unreal Scott. Ah well what's the saying, "there are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics" ! !!

18 minutes ago, just said:

Thought at the time it seemed a bit unreal Scott. Ah well what's the saying, "there are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics" ! !!

I thought it was he was unavailable for two of them. Whether that meant on the bench or what I don’t know. 

27 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

I thought it was he was unavailable for two of them. Whether that meant on the bench or what I don’t know. 

Ah, yep that makes more sense. Still impressive in its own right. Only unavailable for two games in his entire Chelsea career!

And he had an absolute stormer tonight.