Gem

César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

After a slow start to his Chelsea career he is finally getting a longer run in the side. So, now we've seen more of him - what are you thoughts at this halfwayish stage? I think he's been a revolution without going OTT. I think he's made that RB position his own and I see no reason why he should be dropped/rotated at this present time. Form/injuries will come into it but at the moment I don't see why we should rock the boat. He has a good cross on him, he defends well (I've not seen him make a major c*ck up of anything yet) and he has a lovely smile. At 23 I hope we've got our main right back for years to come.

article-2192964-14AD2593000005DC-784_634

Quality signing at a great price. Not something you associate with CFC.

He is solid without being spectacular - I hope he remains our right back for the next 5 years. Only critiscm would be his crossing which needs some work.

tumblr_m99wp2Q5Fy1qbtho3o1_500.jpg

And yep, £7m is a great piece of business. I will mention that his compatriot who played for us on the left in 2006 also started well... but had probably fallen by December. I doubt we'll have the same fate with Azpi.

Only critiscm would be his crossing which needs some work.

lion-king-confused-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308

his crossing is fantastic, i dare say one of the best fullbacks in the league when it comes to crossing

Can't remember him having one bad game so far. Either he's been solid or really good.

So he's been a really good signing so far.

And seeing as Luiz has moved up to midfield at the moment Ivan can play as CB, so there's less competition for RB.

He looks a lot like Terry in wide shots on the telly. Especially as 28 can easily be confused with 26. Not that it has anything to do with his qualities as a defender... :happy001:

I wasn't too impressed at first, but he's playing better and better AND his crossing is excellent. If he keeps it up, he's certainly a bargain. That smile makes him look like a bit mad at times, though. Hopefully it freaks out the opposition players.

His grin is habitual! :biggrin:

Norwich+City+v+Chelsea+Premier+League+L5

I've been very pleased with what I've seen from him thus far, early days of course but I don't see much getting in the way of him becoming our long term  right fullback.

Oh my god, that is the best picture I've ever seen.

Barely anyone else has a small grin, and there he is with the biggest smile in the entire world.

His smile is nearly as distracting as Bosingwa's eyebrow....

Dave is genuine quality. Very brave as well, not frightened to put his foot, or his head, where others may hesitate.

The only time he has looked second best this season IMO is when he was up against that Monterray winger, Jesus someone or other. He was their one and only player and had pace to burn. Most other full-backs would have struggled against him on the day.

Done everything I've expected from him, I was never impressed with his attacking play beforehand so I didn''t get my hopes up but defensively not many got the better of him in France and that seems to be the case here as well.

Wouldn't go as far as to say his crossing is fantastic, he's currently the best at it at our club but that's only because no one else can cross properly.

Edited by Remodez

Dave is genuine quality. Very brave as well, not frightened to put his foot, or his head, where others may hesitate.

The only time he has looked second best this season IMO is when he was up against that Monterray winger, Jesus someone or other. He was their one and only player and had pace to burn. Most other full-backs would have struggled against him on the day.

Yeah his name on his back said Jesus C :rolleyes:

He was a bargain if he keeps this level of performance up. Hard to think he's only 23. His crossing is his weakest asset, it's a bit inconsistent, but he's whipped in some beauty's so far. The game against Monterray had me slightly worried that the games beforehand had just been a fluke but he's showed up ever since then. If he keeps improving I can't see us needing a Rb for the next 10 or 12 years since we have Wallace and Kane coming through.

He does tend to look quite camp on photos though..

He was a bargain if he keeps this level of performance up. Hard to think he's only 23. His crossing is his weakest asset, it's a bit inconsistent, but he's whipped in some beauty's so far. The game against Monterray had me slightly worried that the games beforehand had just been a fluke but he's showed up ever since then. If he keeps improving I can't see us needing a Rb for the next 10 or 12 years since we have Wallace and Kane coming through.

He does tend to look quite camp on photos though..

I don't think there is a full back in the world right now that is consistent with crossing, so if he is a palyer who has a good cross from time to time i will be happy, defending comes first for me.

Can't imagine why people criticise his crossing.  He's been magnificent.  Do you people remember Bosingwa?  He's equally competent in attack and defence for me, and he always puts in a shift.  Very happy with this signing.  

He has turned out to be an excellent buy. Now I understand why he was Marseille's best player last season. He looks good defensively and offensively and appears better suited to the position than Ivanovic. We are fortunate to have signed him.