César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Gem
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

That simply isn't true. He was exceptional last year, the best right back in the Premiership for my money.

I have no problem with Azpilicueta replacing him, however, as Ivan's play at fullback had declined noticeably this year, for whatever reason.

Strange that just last season he was the best right back in the premiership but at the moment he seems pretty incompetent in that position. Wonder what went wrong.

Edited by Amputechture

Very good signing, and the under the radar type of player I love when we sign them

He came in and displaced Ivan, and that was no small feat.

Maybe we could give the board some form of credit for this one?

And thank f**k we steered well clear of Van der Wiel. Awful in the Euro's and can't get a game at PSG.

And thank f**k we steered well clear of Van der Wiel. Awful in the Euro's and can't get a game at PSG.

Amen to that. Scores a couple from outside the box and all of a sudden he's one of the best fullbacks in the world...

Tbh, surprised Liverpool weren't interested.

Yes, I thought Van Der Wiel could ahve been a good player for us, but he has dropped off the radar quite a bit.  Thankfully we did stay clear of him.  I know VDW was fast, but I always feared that was all he had, and a hamstring injury would have seen the end of him

He's been solid and probably the spanish speaking manager helps as well. It is funny how much that helps and make things easier...

I hope you are not basing his 'fantastic crossing' on that one great cross against Villa because I don't remember another one he made that got us a goal. Haven't seen all games or don't rememer all goals so refresh my memory, please.

Good buy anyway.

He's been solid and probably the spanish speaking manager helps as well. It is funny how much that helps and make things easier...

I hope you are not basing his 'fantastic crossing' on that one great cross against Villa because I don't remember another one he made that got us a goal. Haven't seen all games or don't rememer all goals so refresh my memory, please.

Good buy anyway.

Torres in most cases circles back, hides behind defenders or is nowhere to be found inside the box, thats why alot of these great early crosses by "Dave" don't lead to more goals. I've seen several of his crosses go between the oposition defence and their keeper to a throw in on the other side, just needs someone to take a chance on getting there first.

I see his inclusion and Mikel's exclusion as the biggest reasons for the upturn of our form since Rafa took over.

+1

I also think Luiz has done wonders in that DM role, him rushing in to situations is a positive in that position, because it has lead to several good counter attacks for us. 

• 2 weeks later...

When Terry comes back into the team, I hope Azpi is kept at RB and Ivanovic at CB. Cahill should be dropped to the bench IMO and Luiz stay in midfield. Terry is our best CB, but Ivanovic is actually very good too, it was highlighted by Alan Hansen on MOTD just how good Iva is. Terry and Ivanovic are our best CB pairing.

Nobody likes a 'told you so merchant' but its interesting that a lot of people are now accepting his crossing isn't great - something I was slaughtered for suggesting on page 1.

I maintain what I said, it DID get better. But now these past few games its dipped again. Interesting, I wonder what the cause could be.

Anyway , still a very decent signing. Very solid without ever looking like he is going to be spectacular. Reckon he might score soon too!