César 'Dave' Azpilicueta

Wouldn't go as far as to say his crossing is fantastic, he's currently the best at it at our club but that's only because no one else can cross properly.

The best crosser at the club is Paulo (with both feet) but sadly we don't see enough of him to utilise it.

Interesting to see the comments about the crossing - I've been disappointed but thinking about it it has got better, I do think its the area he can improve on though!

Seems everyone agrees he is a top signing which is undeniable.

bjd, apparently Cesar puts in more accurate crosses per game than anyone else in the entire squad. I was a little concerned about his crossing at first but he's been consistently good since the start and yesterday he was brilliant. It is good to have players like Azpilicueta and Mikel who do not necessary grab your attention but who humbly put in an excellent ninety minutes and are a pivotal part of any healthy squad.

The best crosser at the club is Paulo (with both feet) but sadly we don't see enough of him to utilise it.

Interesting to see the comments about the crossing - I've been disappointed but thinking about it it has got better, I do think its the area he can improve on though!

Seems everyone agrees he is a top signing which is undeniable.

He whipped in a great one for Torres to convert against Villa.  He usually manages to deliver threatening crosses (and beat his man like a winger) but we don't have enough people in the box to truly maximise that asset.  If he played with Drogba I feel like he'd have more assists than Mata by now.  Falcao or another striker who really dives into the box to get onto the end of those would benefit a lot more from it.  Not really a criticism of Torres this time, but he's never been a brave or imposing striker.  

He gets a lot of them wrong too but from my perspective he sends in enough good ones to make up for it, which is all I can really ask for. 

What a great signing for the money. He's already made the RB role his own.

Young, good going forward, does his defensive duties when required, young, what's there not to like?

I also think that inadvertently he's given the side a better balance..  I'll explain.....

With him comfortable at RB, Ivans moved in to CB and Luiz has moved into the 'midfield playmaker' role, the whole side just seems to be more fluid and less likely to concede.

Can't imagine why people criticise his crossing.  He's been magnificent.  Do you people remember Bosingwa?  He's equally competent in attack and defence for me, and he always puts in a shift.  Very happy with this signing.  

Comparing him to one of the worst crossers in the world is not exactly setting a high standard for comparison. People criticize his crossing because it stands out as his weakest asset, not because it's poor in an absolute sense. 

I don't think there is a full back in the world right now that is consistent with crossing, so if he is a palyer who has a good cross from time to time i will be happy, defending comes first for me.

Yes, just saying thats his weakest link, so he's not doing too badly. Otherwise he's been spot on. Getting teh basics right and getting up and down the wing. I can't remember him being caught out of position like Cole has been at times this season.

And Strikers usually win it. I mean he probably wins it even if he does f**k all for the rest of the season...

Yeah exactly. There's this mentality that scoring a lot of goals equals amazing player. It means they are a good player, but I think people should look at other positions a bit more often.

Comparing him to one of the worst crossers in the world is not exactly setting a high standard for comparison. People criticize his crossing because it stands out as his weakest asset, not because it's poor in an absolute sense. 

I feel spoilt criticising him after he's been an immediate and noticeable improvement, even over Ivanovich.  As has been pointed out, he's statistically our most accurate crosser this season.  I understand your position completely, but I have a hard time criticising players for doing a good job; which, in my opinion, Dave has.  

I feel spoilt criticising him after he's been an immediate and noticeable improvement, even over Ivanovich.  As has been pointed out, he's statistically our most accurate crosser this season.  I understand your position completely, but I have a hard time criticising players for doing a good job; which, in my opinion, Dave has.  

Fair enough mate, on the balance of things, he's certainly been a great addition to the team. I see no reason why his crossing can't improve, either. He was pretty dreadful in that facet when he played in France, so he's already stepped up a bit. I just think there's a lot more room for improvement, that's all. I'm very happy to have him all the same. 

Am enjoying this particular thread as it endorses my own thoughts about players and in particular playing players out of position or to put it another way selecting the right horse for the right course. Dave is proving to be an excellent RB, indeed I think he will become an outstanding full back in time. A full backs job, first and foremost is a defensive one and Chelsea have had some great full backs in their time, Cole, Chappie, Harris, Clark to name but four (with Bertrand to come hopefully). In buying a decent full back we have finally solved the "where should Ivan play" question. Ivan never was or never will be a full back, in an extreme emergency maybe but as a regular never. The FSW has given Dave his chance, something that RDM seemed reluctant to do, and in doing do has allowed Ivan to take up his best position and that is as a central defender. So we have a win/win situation - full backs are not centre half's and centre half's are not full backs - its called horses for courses and it's what we should stick with going forward.

Carry on Dave, onward and upward. 

Ivan never was or never will be a full back, in an extreme emergency maybe but as a regular never.

That simply isn't true. He was exceptional last year, the best right back in the Premiership for my money.

I have no problem with Azpilicueta replacing him, however, as Ivan's play at fullback had declined noticeably this year, for whatever reason.