Ryan Bertrand - Should He Have Gone?!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I don't want him to of course, I'd like to see him get lots of games this year. But 2 years ago he played in the CL final, and now, 2 years on and 2 years more experienced, Mourinho would rather play a right back at left back than play him in a group stage match... So really, is there any point in him wasting his career waiting for an opportunity that doesn;'t look like it's ever going to come?

He played in the CL final because we had injuries and RDM played 451, and he wanted to negate the affect of Robben on that side, with Lahm overlapping. He gave us nothing going forward and it was basically a very defensive move by RDM, which thankfully worked.

Since then he's hardly played, waiting patiently for Cole to leave I guess. However when Cole leaves we will no doubt sign a top quality replacement, hopefully Shaw, which is fine, if Bertrand is content being a squad player at a top club. The key though is game-time. He has to play when the guy ahead of him is out, and last night, we saw that Jose doesn't really trust him, that's the harsh reality. There is no other interpretation. Jose let Moses leave for the same reason and let Lukaku leave because he doesn't think he is ready.

We have to trust Jose's judgement. He knows more than us.

Bertrand is not a kid he needs to play and now he knows his place in the pecking order he should go to a club where he will be a first-team regular. He will make a good Premiership player, IMO.

Azpilicueta is a squad player but in a must-not-lose game Jose plumped for him on his wrong side, so he knows he is a valuable part of the squad and is trusted. That's the difference. 

I think this is Cole's last season with us. I would be very happy if we signed Shaw and kept Betrand as his deputy, but I'm not sure how happy Bertrand will be.

Bertrand will definitely play against Arsenal on Tuesday night, in the LC.

He should be playing at least until Cole is fit again, Mourinho has shown a complete lack of faith in him. IMO Bertrand done nothing to show he isn't up to playing for us on a consistent basis. I don't understand how people can say he's no better than back up? What have you seen that justifies this?

He played in the CL final because we had injuries and RDM played 451, and he wanted to negate the affect of Robben on that side, with Lahm overlapping. He gave us nothing going forward and it was basically a very defensive move by RDM, which thankfully worked.

Since then he's hardly played, waiting patiently for Cole to leave I guess. However when Cole leaves we will no doubt sign a top quality replacement, hopefully Shaw, which is fine, if Bertrand is content being a squad player at a top club. The key though is game-time. He has to play when the guy ahead of him is out, and last night, we saw that Jose doesn't really trust him, that's the harsh reality. There is no other interpretation. Jose let Moses leave for the same reason and let Lukaku leave because he doesn't think he is ready.

We have to trust Jose's judgement. He knows more than us.

Bertrand is not a kid he needs to play and now he knows his place in the pecking order he should go to a club where he will be a first-team regular. He will make a good Premiership player, IMO.

Azpilicueta is a squad player but in a must-not-lose game Jose plumped for him on his wrong side, so he knows he is a valuable part of the squad and is trusted. That's the difference. 

I think this is Cole's last season with us. I would be very happy if we signed Shaw and kept Betrand as his deputy, but I'm not sure how happy Bertrand will be.

Bertrand will definitely play against Arsenal on Tuesday night, in the LC.

Why would you be happy with Shaw over Bertrand? What's he done that Bertrand hasn't?

He played the CL final because RDM felt he was up to the task, and he was. Who was injured that would have played there? Going forward in that game wasn't his job, like you say it was to work with Cole to stop Lahm and Robben, they did that.

I feel at the end of that season he put in performance that justified him being given a lot more trust and playing time. Unfortunately not playing last night probably points to that never happening at this point. It doesn't bode well for our youth team.

Someone mentioned somewhere else that Ryan and Ash are on Chelseatv later in the week? If so it will be interesting to see what he says.

Why would you be happy with Shaw over Bertrand? What's he done that Bertrand hasn't?

What's he done? Well first of all he's been a first team regular for Southampton in the Premiership, for over a season, not bad for a teenager, but, way more than that, he stands out every time I see him play, he just looks amazingly talented.

He's had more PL starts than bertrand whilst being 6 years younger, to start.

I'm talking about ability. PL starts is hardly a fair comparison as Shaw's competition is Danny Fox and Bertrand's is Cole. He was talking about bringing Shaw in to start once Cole leaves. I'm just wondering what, in his mind, makes him better than Bertrand.

Edited by Remodez

He played the CL final because RDM felt he was up to the task, and he was. Who was injured that would have played there? Going forward in that game wasn't his job, like you say it was to work with Cole to stop Lahm and Robben, they did that.

Well Ramires was suspended, and he probably would have played on the flank, almost certainly. It was the first time Bertrand got the nod under Robbie, certainly in midfield, and it was all because of the unavailability of others and the fact Robbie didn't want an attacker on the flank that wouldn't perform their defensive duties. Robbie set the team very defensively, which is not a criticism by the way.

Edit: Why do you think Bertrand didn't play against Barca? It was because we had far more players available.

Edited by Davey Baby

As for the original questions, I wouldn't blame him if he did leave. He's half way through his career and doesn't have much to show for it (although I'm sure the CL win would ease his woes a bit). Imo, he should take over when Cole leaves, which should be this season judging by his performances but I doubt that will actually happen.

The lad looks decent every time he plays to me, not sure what he is doing wrong not to be getting the chances.

Question is, where would he go if he were to leave? 

Spurs?

Edited by Remodez

Well Ramires was suspended, and he probably would have played on the flank, almost certainly. It was the first time Bertrand got the nod under Robbie, certainly in midfield, and it was all because of the unavailability of others and the fact Robbie didn't want an attacker on the flank that wouldn't perform their defensive duties. Robbie set the team very defensively, which is not a criticism by the way.

Edit: Why do you think Bertrand didn't play against Barca? It was because we had far more players available.

Don't know why he didn't play against Barca but Munich wasn't his first start under Robbie. The back end of Ryan's season had built up to that, he started (and if i remember rightly got MOM) at arsenal away when Ash was available to name one game. He played 15 games that season 2 as a sub and i would bet all of those were under Robbie.

For me when hes played he's fitted into the team, not looked out of place and has deserved better. He can defend well and is better than Ash going forward IMO. I don't see what more he could have done up until now?

Edited by jack h

Don't know why he didn't play against Barca but Munich wasn't his first start under Robbie.

Robbie often rested players in the Prem, where we were floundering anyway. In the FA Cup and CL however, he always picked the big hitters. Munich was Bertie's CL debut, IIRC, and it was all due to the unavailability of others. We had four players suspended plus injuries I think, which wasn't the case when we faced Barca.

Last season, we faced Shakhtar at home in a CL group game, and Bertrand was all at sea. I mean he was really flummoxed that night. It may have been inexperience, in fact I presume it was. He had a few shaky games last term but overall he's done well, I'm not complaining about him at all, I'm just saying Jose clearly has doubts about him, that is all.

What's he done? Well first of all he's been a first team regular for Southampton in the Premiership, for over a season, not bad for a teenager, but, way more than that, he stands out every time I see him play, he just looks amazingly talented.

Is this the same Baby David that, this time last year, was telling us all ad nauseam how good a manager Moyes was and how we should be doing anything to get him to replace the ex-interim fraud?  Hmmmm.  Some credibility issues to be looked at there, I think

Guess it depends on whether AVB rates him, there was talk of Spurs being interested in both Baines and Coentrao during the summer, if true they might have bigger ambitions for their recruitment of a left back.

I dont think AVB rates him that much, didn't he select Bosingwa ahead of him at LB for the 3-3 at home against Man Utd? pretty sure he did.They got Danny Rose anyway.Luke Shaw is a must buy for me he looks top,top quality, i like Bertrand and its a shame he didnt play last night and i hope he plays on Sunday.If we did buy Shaw Bertrand would most likely again be backup so he would have to decide if he is happy with that, and with PVA coming back next season i would pick PVA over Bertrand.I prefer Van Aanholt always have.

Is this the same Baby David that, this time last year, was telling us all ad nauseam how good a manager Moyes was and how we should be doing anything to get him to replace the ex-interim fraud? Hmmmm. Some credibility issues to be looked at there, I think

Well the law of averages dictate I will be right about something one day.

Jose stated that he played Azpi as he thought he'd be a better option against the Germans that Berty would have been.  I wonder if we'll see the same on Sunday.  I think while Cole is out, we'll see Bertrand start more against "lesser" teams.  But if he starts this Sunday I think that'll be a huge statement