Brizzleblue

Jose Mourinho thread

11 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Jesus, why do you lot care so much about what Mourinho does, say and where he goes? He burnt his bridges here a long time ago.

Why do we blog here, do we really think our blogs affect the team?

It's all about entertainment and loathe him or love him he provides that for me.

12 hours ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

Yeah Jose has always been a frontrunner, I dont think Ive ever seen a season where he actually came back from behind

League title-wise it's kind of true of us as well. Other than 2009/10, in what season (in which we ended up winning the league) were we actually engaged in a proper title race? 2004/05, 2005/06, 2014/15, 2016/17 we went miles ahead relatively early on and ultimately were never particularly threatened.

There's no chance for a third Jose regime with Chelsea, so that's a positive. At the end of the day, he needs a job and Spurs was the only one showed up. We all know how it will end, but levy needs that trophy and the choice was obvious. Unlike the past, I thought his expectation was pretty low, there was no "promise" of silverware , just "passion" and promoting academy players. One could argue he's more humble and mature now, I see it as he lost that bit of aura and confidence.

13 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

At the end of the day, he needs a job and Spurs was the only one showed up. 

Agree.

13 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

We all know how it will end, but levy needs that trophy and the choice was obvious. 

I don't we think we do though agree on probabilities you are probably correct.

On 22/11/2019 at 18:45, PloKoon13 said:

League title-wise it's kind of true of us as well. Other than 2009/10, in what season (in which we ended up winning the league) were we actually engaged in a proper title race? 2004/05, 2005/06, 2014/15, 2016/17 we went miles ahead relatively early on and ultimately were never particularly threatened.

2004/2005 = Arsenal were ladder leaders for the first 11 games, until their unbeaten streak ended and we overtook them and stayed on top for the rest of the season.

• 12 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Arsenal).

2005/2006 = Ladder leaders for 36/38 weeks.

• 8 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester United).

2009/2010 = Genuine title race with Manchester United. Came down to the last match of the season.

• 1 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester United)

2014/2015 = Ladder leaders for 37/38 weeks.

• 8 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester City)

2016/2017 = Started slow and didn't get on top until 12 games into the season. After that, we dominated.

• 7 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Tottenham Hotspur)

On 24/11/2019 at 00:28, Jezz said:

2004/2005 = Arsenal were ladder leaders for the first 11 games, until their unbeaten streak ended and we overtook them and stayed on top for the rest of the season.

• 12 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Arsenal).

2005/2006 = Ladder leaders for 36/38 weeks.

• 8 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester United).

2009/2010 = Genuine title race with Manchester United. Came down to the last match of the season.

• 1 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester United)

2014/2015 = Ladder leaders for 37/38 weeks.

• 8 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Manchester City)

2016/2017 = Started slow and didn't get on top until 12 games into the season. After that, we dominated.

• 7 point gap from 1st (Chelsea) to 2nd (Tottenham Hotspur)

It baffles me how United managed to finish a point behind us that year, the amount of dodgy decisions and scrapes they used to get through. Ferguson's united was always a pain in the ass like that, no matter how crap they were he would manage to get them winning games, we were by far the better team that year. 

On 30/11/2019 at 02:25, Slojo said:

It baffles me how United managed to finish a point behind us that year, the amount of dodgy decisions and scrapes they used to get through. Ferguson's united was always a pain in the ass like that, no matter how crap they were he would manage to get them winning games, we were by far the better team that year. 

Our problem that year was complacency.

When we had to win to keep top spot we did (the only exception was Blackburn but we made amends by winning the big one at OT two weeks later) but when we had breathing space and a chance to really stamp our authority on the league we messed up every single time. Every time we went into a game with a four or more point buffer I knew we were dropping points.

Had we lost the title that year the WHL performance would haunt me nearly as much as Moscow, been largely forgot about due to how we ended the season but that was one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us, could and should have been similar to the scorelines we were handing out to teams.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Our problem that year was complacency.

When we had to win to keep top spot we did (the only exception was Blackburn but we made amends by winning the big one at OT two weeks later) but when we had breathing space and a chance to really stamp our authority on the league we messed up every single time. Every time we went into a game with a four or more point buffer I knew we were dropping points.

Had we lost the title that year the WHL performance would haunt me nearly as much as Moscow, been largely forgot about due to how we ended the season but that was one of the worst displays I've ever seen from us, could and should have been similar to the scorelines we were handing out to teams.

Also that crazy Man City game at home, for how good we were that season we had some absolute blunders didn't we, we looked like a team who was well and capable of winning the Champions League that year and we were crap against Inter. 

8 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Also that crazy Man City game at home, for how good we were that season we had some absolute blunders didn't we, we looked like a team who was well and capable of winning the Champions League that year and we were crap against Inter. 

I didn't actually think the City home game was that bad, we did okay but a couple of crazy moments followed by a red card took the game away from us.

The away game wound me up more, we just smashed Arsenal at The Emirates to open up a five point lead and City were on their knees winless for about two months with Mark Hughes incharge, they even gave us a head start through an early own goal and we still got turned over through utter complacency.

Edited by Argo

8 minutes ago, Argo said:

I didn't actually think the City home game was that bad, we did okay but a couple of crazy moments followed by a red card took the game away from us.

The away game wound me up more, we just smashed Arsenal at The Emirates to open up a five point lead and City were on their knees winless for about two months with Mark Hughes incharge, they even gave us a head start through an early own goal and we still got turned over through utter complacency.

Your memory is much better than mine. I remember being so depressed during the AVB season as it appeared to be our worst Abramovich season in living memory, easily our worst in a very long time for the club. Then it drastically changed to what some could argue our greatest season ever. I think Ballack said that Chelsea would win the Champions League when they least expect it, and boy was he right. 

The darkest season was definitely Mourinho's 3rd season here, worst one I've ever experienced at this club, I'm sure most forum members will be able to name you more though, pre Abramovich. 

7 minutes ago, Slojo said:

The darkest season was definitely Mourinho's 3rd season here, worst one I've ever experienced at this club, I'm sure most forum members will be able to name you more though, pre Abramovich. 

I don't remember the 80s but I do remember the last couple years of being a midtable PL side before the Zola, Robbie, Gullit movement and I would say it beats 15/16.

Reason being realistically that was as good as it was going to get with the team we had. That's why I never got the narrative of "you're moaning about 5th try being around in the 80s and early 90s" when it's all about context for me, should we have the worst squad in the league and finish 17th I'd say give the manager a statue, anyone finishes 17th with this squad and they're the worst manager in our and quite possibly English football history.

On 27/11/2019 at 17:44, evissy said:

Why did he apologise for substituting Dier? The game is like this, apologise for trying to win a tough game. 10 years back he wouldn't have said anything. Just basked in the win.

He is trying to keep the dressing room onside until he builds his reputation at Spurs.

43 minutes ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

This exactly. Compare it to how he treated Luke Shaw at United. 

The Luke Shaw point is interesting I can remember JM at Chelsea complaining about Robben's injuries and Robben moving on. Did JM want Shaw out for someone else or was it a ploy to others to up their games or they will get the same treatment?

I think it was him just being himself and having a few words about a player he didn't deem 'motivated' enough. Seems he's learned that's how he loses dressing rooms. You can't publicly dress players down like you used to. There are similar things in the book about his time at Real. He would poke players on purpose to get them to leave/quit the club if he didn't think they were 100% behind him. Casillas is the big example in the book. 

2008 Jose would never have apologized to Dier for taking him off. He's learning, maybe. 

On 21/11/2019 at 20:04, Munkworth said:

Jesus, why do you lot care so much about what Mourinho does, say and where he goes? He burnt his bridges here a long time ago.

Quite funny that this thread now runs to 215 pages ... and it started after he left LOL

4 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Quite funny that this thread now runs to 215 pages ... and it started after he left LOL

The cult of Jose continues I see signs of it also spreading on the Red Café forum too in my rare visits.

4 hours ago, robdog said:

speaking of The Cult of Jose, checkout this woman

Some fan, getting the Spurs basketball team tattooed instead of the football club... super-fan of attention