January Window 17/18

Chelsea need to sign a left wing back.

Alonso is a decent player but he's slower than me :laugh2: and Alex Sandro fits the bill perfectly. Imagine how much more ruthless we will be in attack with him and Victor bombing down the flanks.

Sandro is pivotal to the way we play and he would be the best signing we've made since Hazard, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Snedger said:

I'm a bit confused as I didn't say anything that can be interpreted as what you typed after 'AND'.

Sorry mate, it wasn't a dig at you, I don't think you are like that at all, it was expanding on what you said about why there is sometimes a perceived lack of opportunity when all of the pressure is about results.  Didn't mean to aim it at you and I apologise if you thought I did.

My main gripe is with the people in the match-day threads who display all of the patience and vitriolic self-control of George Best at a free bar after several days of sobriety, and the double standard of demanding a win every game as their right, but at the same time wanting every manager to play loads of teenagers because they might, one day, be good enough to hold down a first team place.

Bottom line is that the young 'uns need not only to impress in a brief cameo against sh*tkicker Town in the Can'tBeArsed Cup, Round 2, but they also need to impress every day in training and in their off the pitch activities as well.  For example, Musonda.  Plenty of people saying he should replace either a Brazilian international, a Spanish international or a Belgian international.  I've not seen anything about him to say that yet.  Could be another KdB, could be another Kakuta.  Who can tell?

2 hours ago, Snedger said:

I can't argue about Salah or Lukaku as I was not at all disappointed to see either leave (well a bit disappointed about Lukaku, but that was more that I had hoped he could make the grade, but ultimately didn't think he ever would). In the case of KdB, I admit that he didn't rip up any trees in his very short stint at the Bridge, but I truly believed he had ability and potential as I'd seen him on the box playing in Germany and for Belgium and it was pretty clear he could play. Obviously I don't know what exactly went wrong at Chelsea, but I find it hard to accept that Mourinho as (was?) a great football manager and especially a manager who puts a lot of store in his ability as a psychologist, could not have worked with DeBruyne and given himself another 12 months to mould the player as he has done with others. I always get the impression that Mourinho gave up way too quickly. And it definitely can't be argued now that DeBruyne isn't a very good player who used correctly can make a significant contribution at a top level side.

Bertrand was given a chance and he did enough to warrant being kept on longer. The difficulty at Chelsea just seems to be that for pretty much any player, potential and ability aren't enough - they need to be at it right now in the eyes of the present coach.

I really don't think that is what happened. I don't believe JM wanted KdB to leave, but KdB was quite open in saying he didn't want to stay and fight for his place. After a cracking debut, he got injured, and the next few times he was given a chance (at Swindon, and at Old Trafford), he was awful, and upset JM with his attitude. JM felt it was up to KdB to prove he wanted it, but KdB's view was that he needed to be accepted for who he was, and that JM should pick him even if he wasn't playing well, because he needed the manager's trust and confidence to be able to play well.

He's been largely superb since we sold him, but he can still have days when he appears to lack commitment. I wish he was still with us, but I'm not putting all the blame on JM for his departure. KdB has proved since he left that he could have made it with us, but he wasn't willing to knuckle down and prove himself here.

9 hours ago, Backbiter said:

KdB has proved since he left that he could have made it with us, but he wasn't willing to knuckle down and prove himself here.

True but Jose has his favourites and I'd imagine it'd be pretty disheartening to constantly fight for places whilst knowing that Oscar and Willian will always get that spot. Our 2 times player of the year Mata was being sidelined as well in the same time period.

I'd argue that his experience here was what kicked him on to have a better mentality.

13 hours ago, JM7 said:

Hypothetical question but quite the reality. Why should the club spend money buying Conte players and his targets when there is a high chance that he will be leaving in the summer?

This has been playing on my mind also. The board needs to find out the managers plans and take it from there. City were signing Pep's players two transfer windows before he joined them. We either need to find out if Conte is staying and build the team he wants or find his replacement now and get what he wants. In the meantime Conte can use what he has/what next seasons manager wants. 

16 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

Sorry mate, it wasn't a dig at you, I don't think you are like that at all, it was expanding on what you said about why there is sometimes a perceived lack of opportunity when all of the pressure is about results.  Didn't mean to aim it at you and I apologise if you thought I did.

No worries. I didn't think it was a dig but was a little unsure. I quite agree about Musonda. I guess it's that thing again though, could he have been on the bench for some games like Tuesdays, and when 3 up with 25 minutes to go, send him out there. But again you're right in that we don't see what happens in training and without doing it there they can't expect to play in the first team.

15 hours ago, Backbiter said:

I really don't think that is what happened. I don't believe JM wanted KdB to leave, but KdB was quite open in saying he didn't want to stay and fight for his place. After a cracking debut, he got injured, and the next few times he was given a chance (at Swindon, and at Old Trafford), he was awful, and upset JM with his attitude. JM felt it was up to KdB to prove he wanted it, but KdB's view was that he needed to be accepted for who he was, and that JM should pick him even if he wasn't playing well, because he needed the manager's trust and confidence to be able to play well.

He's been largely superb since we sold him, but he can still have days when he appears to lack commitment. I wish he was still with us, but I'm not putting all the blame on JM for his departure. KdB has proved since he left that he could have made it with us, but he wasn't willing to knuckle down and prove himself here.

Whilst I am still disappointed that Mourinho didn't appear to do more with the player (using his proven ability to change players for the good) I do agree that he blame can't be laid solely with Jose. I seem to recall that there were photos of DeBruyne out partying at inappropriate times and if he said what you said he said above, then Jose would certainly have had if work cut out. You do wonder if DeBruyne had been around in Jose's first stint whether it might have been a different story.

6 hours ago, Deino said:

True but Jose has his favourites and I'd imagine it'd be pretty disheartening to constantly fight for places whilst knowing that Oscar and Willian will always get that spot. Our 2 times player of the year Mata was being sidelined as well in the same time period.

I'd argue that his experience here was what kicked him on to have a better mentality.

Surely if he was as good then as people now are claiming he was, he wouldn't have had any problem at all competing with Oscar and Willian, both of whom are piss-poor girlies according to some in here.

7 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Surely if he was as good then as people now are claiming he was, he wouldn't have had any problem at all competing with Oscar and Willian, both of whom are piss-poor girlies according to some in here.

They were Mourinho's favourites though. No matter how hard he competed Oscar would still have been chosen in that role week in week out. We saw that towards the end when Oscar was sh*te and he kept picking him. Even Mata was discarded instantly for him. 

well i wud love many players like sandro, sanchez etc..

but lets be realistic as we know our board very well..

can we get a zaha or mahrez or richarlison for cheap price?

if i had absolute control over transfers, the 2 players i wud sign are alexis sanchez  and sandro..

On 12/12/2017 at 13:31, TomCFC85 said:

I'm 90% certain Conte will leave at the end of the season.

i think thats certain...

just imagine if he becomes manager of a team like united where the board will back manager very well..

he could be a monster of a manager there...well he deserves a board who backs him completely.. he proved his abilities beyond doubt by thumping pep and jose last year!!

On 08/11/2017 at 09:55, didierforever said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41901025?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_match_of_the_day&ns_source=facebook&ns_linkname=sport

Apparently Jose has been told to sell a couple before he buys in Jan. Won't be easy getting any player from Jose, but I would take a punt on Shaw.

Though I guess Baba should be in contention by then. But if we can offload Baba and get Shaw for a similar fee, then it would be a good move. 

i wud take a punt on shaw too...he is a good player destroyed by united...but he is still young and can become great under conte..

No he wasn't - It was De Gea on the BBC match report.

Man of the match - David de Gea (Manchester United)

Shaw didn't even make it through a full match, and hasn't since October last year.

Edited by yorkleyblue

26 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

No he wasn't - It was De Gea on the BBC match report.

Man of the match - David de Gea (Manchester United)

Shaw didn't even make it through a full match, and hasn't since October last year.

and jose was there from last october slating shaw in ppublic to improve his confidence using his reverse psychology...

KDB didnt make it thru to many full matches when he was ours and managed by jose!!

Edited by acidicleo

3 hours ago, Snedger said:

No worries. I didn't think it was a dig but was a little unsure. I quite agree about Musonda. I guess it's that thing again though, could he have been on the bench for some games like Tuesdays, and when 3 up with 25 minutes to go, send him out there. But again you're right in that we don't see what happens in training and without doing it there they can't expect to play in the first team.

Whilst I am still disappointed that Mourinho didn't appear to do more with the player (using his proven ability to change players for the good) I do agree that he blame can't be laid solely with Jose. I seem to recall that there were photos of DeBruyne out partying at inappropriate times and if he said what you said he said above, then Jose would certainly have had if work cut out. You do wonder if DeBruyne had been around in Jose's first stint whether it might have been a different story.

In a meeting, around mid-December 2013, Jose Mourinho told De Bruyne he wasn’t too keen on letting him go "You’re a good player," was the message.

Too little too late. De Bruyne had already made up his mind. After all, he’d barely played for three months. Frustrated by a lack of explanation and no guarantees of a fair chance, he pushed for a permanent transfer out of Chelsea and to Wolfsburg. “I asked him kindly, 'Please let me go’.” A review without scapegoats. That’s how it all unfolded.

On March 27 2013 Belgian newspaper Het Laatste Nieuws drop the story on their front page: ‘De Bruyne closing on Dortmund - five year deal on the table’. “I had a personal agreement with Dortmund," De Bruyne would admit later.

“I asked Chelsea if I could leave, because I got a good feeling about Dortmund at the time. I’d been good in Germany. Klopp really wanted me because Mario Götze was moving to Bayern MUnich. He called me and said, ‘You’ll be the No.1’. In a team that ended on the second place in the Bundesliga and would later play the Champions League Final. I thought it would be a good decision to go.”

His gut feeling tells him to push for the move, but then the phone goes. It’s Mourinho. De Bruyne picks up the story: “He’d just been appointed as the new Chelsea manager. He told me, ‘You’re not going anywhere. You need to stay and you will get your chance’. He convinced me to stay, although there was a nice offer on the table from Dortmund. Mourinho said he believed in me and that I would get opportunities in pre-season and during the year. He didn’t want me to stay for the cup games only, but told me I would also feature in the Premier League. I have to admit I barely challenged him. I accepted his decision. I told him I would try to show what I was capable of. That’s it. It wasn’t a question of listening or not listening to him. I still had a contract with Chelsea. It wasn’t that easy.”

De Bruyne starts pre-season with Chelsea in a buoyant mood. Along with countrymen Eden Hazard and Romelu Lukaku, they tour Thailand and the United States for the International Champions Cup. De Bruyne knows there will be fierce competition. Spanish international Juan Mata (£24million) is one of the fans’ favourites and an influential player. Eden Hazard (£30m) hasn’t disappointed in his first season at Chelsea. Oscar (£29m) is a promising Brazilian international, who has featured regularly in his first year at Stamford Bridge. André Schürrle (£20m), a German international with Champions League experience, has just joined from Bayer Leverkusen, the third best side in the Bundesliga. De Bruyne (£7m), who’s spent a year on loan at the 14th best side in Germany, is up for the challenge.

He knows he is the least experienced from the five attacking midfielders, but feels he’s ready. While the Brazilian and Spanish players are still on holiday following the Confederations Cup, De Bruyne smells his chance. In the friendlies against teams of a good standard, such as AC Milan, he makes a good impression. He scores against the Italians too. Promising signs. A minor knee injury isn’t worrying him. “I’m very happy here”, he says during an interview in New York. “I’m ready. I will play for Chelsea this season. I’m not thinking about a loan any more. I’m just feeling good. I have never played on Premier League level, but that season in Germany and my performances with the Belgian national team have given me a boost.”

On the opening day of the season, Mourinho puts De Bruyne in the starting XI against Hull, alongside Hazard and Oscar. He plays a more than decent first half and provides the assist for Oscar’s goal. De Bruyne says: “In the beginning it all went well. In my first Premier League game against Hull I immediately received the man of the match award from Sky. I played a good game, but I won’t say I played brilliantly.”

In the second game, against Aston Villa, De Bruyne is an unused sub, but at Old Trafford, against Manchester United , Mourinho decides to give him another chance. “I didn’t perform that well – just like the whole team," De Bruyne would later admit in his biography ‘Keep it Simple’. He struggles on the right wing and gets replaced after an hour. 

His second start in the Premier League would turn out to be his last. At the end of August, Chelsea sign Willian, another attacking midfielder, for £30m. De Bruyne is included in the squad that travels to Prague for the European Super Cup meeting with Bayern Munich, but two hours before kick-off he learns he’ll be in the stands. He’s bitterly disappointed. In the back of his mind, there’s still Dortmund.

“Staying at Chelsea is the only career choice I have taken without following my gut feeling," he would say in his biography. “And as you’ve seen, it didn’t turn out they way we wanted. If I could have to change one decision in my life, it might be that one. I would push that move to Dortmund through. It was an important moment in my career.”

A few days after his omission from the Chelsea squad, De Bruyne is still struggling with his disappointment. Team-mates and observers of the national team notice he’s not in his best mood during training sessions. Marc Wilmots gets even asked about De Bruyne’s behaviour during his press conference. “I’ve also noticed this negative energy," says Wilmots. “This is a new situation for him. He’s mentally strong, but it’s not going the way he wants to at Chelsea.” Wilmots has a long chat with De Bruyne. He tries to lift his mood.

In the first weeks of September he doesn’t play a lot – bar a cameo of six minutes against Fulham. De Bruyne is mostly an unused substitute. Hazard, Schürrle, Mata, Oscar and Willian all get their opportunities to shine, while De Bruyne is left frustrated on the bench. Because De Bruyne is a rising star in Belgium, and the main man in the national team, Mourinho gets questions about him every week. Mourinho responds with: “If De Bruyne doesn’t play 20 games this season, than it’s because he doesn’t deserve it. If he deserves it, he will play. If you guys in Belgium are afraid, talk to him. Put pressure on him. Tell him, ‘Hey kid, you have to become man of the match’. I can live with that. Kevin is a great player, but there’s a lot of competition. In the national place he’s probably a guaranteed starter, and with Werder too. But this is another level. You won’t influence me.”

On September 24 he gets his chance to prove Mourinho wrong in the Capital One Cup game against Swindon, but he fails to impress. He’s hooked after 78 minutes. The manager doesn’t like what he sees. He leaves de Bruyne of out the squad for the game at Spurs. Mourinho explains in his press conference: “If we all agree that Juan Mata deserves his chance, I have to leave one player out of the squad. Kevin hasn’t convinced me against Swindon, so he’s out of the squad. Kevin has to understand that Chelsea aren’t Werder Bremen. You have to fight for your spot every single training and every single game. The next time he’s play – and he will play – he has to understand he plays for his next game.”

De Bruyne doesn’t understand it all. In his eyes he’s training well. Frustrations are boiling.

Even more so when he’s left out of the squad for the Champions League game against Steaua. He has to stay in London and train with the youngsters - the usual procedure for players who are not selected. His omission makes the headlines in Belgium. Sources close to the player are quoted: ‘this is a public humiliation by Mourinho’, ‘a motion of no-confidence’, ‘a character assassination’.

De Bruyne stays in the news, makes even more headlines, when Mourinho is asked about him at the press conference in Bucharest. The manager seems to storm out his press conference – though footage made it clear he’d already pointed out that was the last question. Mourinho said: “You are for three weeks speaking about Mata, now you are speaking about De Bruyne. He’s not selected. It was my decision. Only 11 can play and 18 can be selected. I try to be honest with Kevin.  He’s not selected because I didn’t like the match he played against Swindon and I didn’t like the way he was training.

Behind the scenes the talks have started. De Bruyne is having a tough time. His agent, parents and friends often fly over to console him. He has never been one for splinters in his backside – ‘I don’t like sitting on the bench’, he told some papers when he was 18 – and suffers more than he wants to admit.

He’s only used in League Cup games and as a sub in Champions League games. De Bruyne bemoans his situation in October 2013: “I wasn’t good against Swindon, that’s true. But everybody who knows me, knows that I’m always doing my best in training. That’s an easy excuse. Maybe they should have open training sessions at Chelsea, so everybody can see I’m doing well. Look at me: don’t I look sharp? At this point I have no regrets. Willian’s move has made the competition more fierce. My chance will come. I don’t think about January as yet.

Reflecting on that difficult period in 2014 – his body language can be pretty negative when he’s not feeling all right, De Bruyne is still no clearer. “I don’t know if it was my body language. I never got an explanation and I still don’t understand it. I said something about open training sessions in an interview. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that. But I thought at that point that I had the right to defend myself. Was it my body language? I always take people like they are, so they have to take me like I am. But once and for all: I don’t know if that was the reason. I don’t know why I lost my place after the game against Manchester United. I never asked Mourinho. He never told me, 'Kevin, you don't train well'. It's a pity he told that on a press conference. Those remarks created a false image."

In November, after only 86 minutes in League Cup and Champions League, he makes up his mind. “At the beginning I couldn’t live with my omission from the squad. I became crazy. But after two months I’d reconciled myself with the situation. I thought: work hard and prepare yourself for your next club. I was counting down. In November the staff were telling me that I was doing well and that I would get a chance. But after a short while I realised that it was bulls**t. That’s when I took the decision: no new loan, I want a permanent transfer.”

In mid-December his agent travels to London to have a meeting with Mourinho and the board. De Bruyne has a one-on-one with his manager too. takes up the story: “At a certain moment Jose Mourinho called all the attacking midfielders in his office. He showed us the stats. Assists, goals, pass percentage, decisive actions, dribbles. He wanted to prove that I didn’t perform at the same level as the others. I answered him, 'Sorry, that’s not logical. I’ve played less games that the others. How can you compare us?' That wasn’t fair.”

In the meetings De Bruyne and his agent make clear he wants to leave for good. De Bruyne told Belgian press: “Mourinho told me things about competition, training hard, there’s always a chance that you’ll play. He also told me he wasn’t keen on letting me go, even not on loan – ‘you are a good player’. But what could I do more. After that press conference in Bucharest I started training harder. I lost three kilos and two per cent of my fat. But my situation never changed.

That’s why I asked him in a friendly way: please let me go! At the beginning, Mourinho opposed a transfer. He wanted me to fight for my place. But I’ve told him I had a feeling I would never get a fair chance. That’s when the club started looking at a transfer too.”

In his biography, De Bruyne added: “We told Chelsea I didn’t want to be loaned out any more. They’d signed me from Genk, and immediately sent me back on loan to Genk. They recalled me and loaned me out to Werder Bremen. After those experiences I’d rather wanted to be sold. Otherwise I would end up in the same situation all over again: playing well on loan, returning to your parent club and then, every year again, feel like the young player back from loan who still has everything to prove. That’s something I didn’t want to experience for a third time in a row.

"Let’s say that I would perform well at Wolfsburg, that I would play a good World Cup and that I would return to Chelsea afterwards with the same status that I had before. No, I didn’t fancy that. I decided to leave on a permanent basis. At Chelsea they wanted me to stay, but I had the feeling I wouldn’t get a fair chance. That’s why I wanted to move to a club that wanted to pay Chelsea’s asking price.”

At the end of January 2014, De Bruyne got the move he wanted. Wolfsburg paid around £20m with performance- related bonuses. “I don’t consider my period at Chelsea as a failure," he said a few months after the move. “I didn’t waste my time over there. I became a better player. And also the club was better off. They did good business: they got three times the money they’d paid for me in 2012. I’ve left without a fight or without arguments. That’s why I don’t want to look back a lot: it’s a closed chapter for me.”

“I’ve no regrets over anything that happened. I don’t think they have regrets. I think they’ve won two PL titles since I’ve been gone, so they’re doing fairly well! It’s just the way, it’s a business. For me at that point it was a good decision to go, and maybe for them it was also good to let me go. So you never know what’s going to happen if I would stay here for another three years, nobody knows….”

But he moved on, without blaming Mourinho. For Kevin De Bruyne it’s just something that happened. Not a mistake.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/kevin-de-bruyne-jose-mourinhos-11285951

38 minutes ago, acidicleo said:

i think thats certain...

just imagine if he becomes manager of a team like united where the board will back manager very well..

he could be a monster of a manager there...well he deserves a board who backs him completely.. he proved his abilities beyond doubt by thumping pep and jose last year!!

Good manager but think he is a bit overrated and that is nothing against him. He is yet to make his mark on the biggest stage, the champions league. 

For all this talk of not being backed by the board, why are these players he is after not pushing/forcing a move to come and play for us? Walker was only going to go to City because of Pep and a bigger pay packet, you always have players saying they want to play for Jose, Van Dijk handed in a transfer request to play for Klopp and  Lemar said he wants to play for Wenger because he is renowned for developing young players. Sorry but it’s convenient to blame the board for not getting him his targets, why are these targets not pushing for the move? Hazard has been flirting with Madrid  while respecting he is a Chelsea player. Why is Sandro not pushing/ forcing a move.

With all due respect, he is unproven continentally. I can’t actually see him going to a bigger club if he leaves us.

On 13/12/2017 at 19:21, JM7 said:

Hypothetical question but quite the reality. Why should the club spend money buying Conte players and his targets when there is a high chance that he will be leaving in the summer?

The club are far better placed than any of us to assess that situation before making any transfer decisions. If Antonio is tempted to leave, the club will know it before we do. If they want him to stay they can do more about it than we ever can. That situation must not impact our transfer activity however. If Antoinio is to continue, and I hope he does, then spend for him. If he is to go, then appoint his replacement in good time, and spend for the new manager. Whoever is in charge, our squad needs surgery.

Sigh another six months and half a season wasted. 

My obsevations:

1 we need to score more goals. So for me we need a goal scoring, hard running  central midfielder and someone a cut above Pedro/Willian. Fabregas would drop back to the bench  none of Kante, Fab, drinkwater have scored much if at all  Baja’s goal reminded me of lampard and he may get more next season, although he’d didn’t score many at Monaco  

2 an alternative left back

3  drinkwater to stay fit

4 yorkyblue to realize that Jose screwed this team. 

If if we had KDB and Salah we’d probably be winning the league instead of fighting for 2nd. 

3 hours ago, ozboy said:

Sigh another six months and half a season wasted. 

My obsevations:

1 we need to score more goals. So for me we need a goal scoring, hard running  central midfielder and someone a cut above Pedro/Willian. Fabregas would drop back to the bench  none of Kante, Fab, drinkwater have scored much if at all  Baja’s goal reminded me of lampard and he may get more next season, although he’d didn’t score many at Monaco  

2 an alternative left back

3  drinkwater to stay fit

4 yorkyblue to realize that Jose screwed this team. 

If if we had KDB and Salah we’d probably be winning the league instead of fighting for 2nd. 

I never said Jose didn't screw the team, but he didn't necessarily do it by letting go two pub-level players who then went on to get better.  Did you not read the Daily Record article that @Backbiter posted in full above?  Seems Jose wasn't at fault at all, according to De Bruyne.

However, no-one can possibly be stupid enough not to understand me when I have said many,many times that both of those players were piss-poor when they played for us, therefore you are only doing this to wind me up, therefore I won't get wound up, and will wish you a merry Christmas, and I'll imagine you sitting there, on the beach in your KdB onesie and your Liverpool-crested Mo Salah slippers.  ::MooNeY::::MooNeY::::MooNeY::