January Window 17/18

On December 14, 2017 at 11:34, Zeta said:

I'll never forgive Mourinho for getting rid of Mata. Riles me even more that he actually plays him sometimes at Man Utd now.

He rotates Mata in the exact same way he did with us, infact LVG  did aswell, the only time he was a nailed on starter at United was under Moyes. Yet for some reason Juan seems perfectly content with that role at Old Trafford but kicked off and rage quitted us when his role was reduced the same way here, maybe the player of the year awards (which in my opinion should have been given to Ramires then Hazard) got to his head?

Edited by Argo

1 hour ago, Argo said:

He rotates Mata in the exact same way he did with us, infact LVG  did aswell, the only time he was a nailed on starter at United was under Moyes. Yet for some reason Juan seems perfectly content with that role at Old Trafford but kicked off and rage quitted us when his role was reduced the same way here, maybe the player of the year awards (which in my opinion should have been given to Ramires then Hazard) got to his head?

It was a bit ironic that he quit us to go to Utd because of the WC only to appear in a dead rubber. Granted he scored a goal in that game.

Screw Hulk I'd go for Mhktarian. 

José saying that every player has his price and he's been frozen out.

This is a player who was top drawer for years in the bundesliga - you don't just become a sh*t player. 

He's had the exciting coached out of him but with the right manager he could go back to being class.

Opinions?

1 hour ago, BordeauxBlue said:

This is a player who was top drawer for years in the bundesliga - you don't just become a sh*t player. 

He's had the exciting coached out of him but with the right manager he could go back to being class.

Opinions?

He was actually sh*t in germany for years, not top class, and then, had a good season which saw him go to United, only to revert back to his usual sh*t performances. I wouldn't take him for free

11 minutes ago, Lucashm said:

He was actually sh*t in germany for years, not top class, and then, had a good season which saw him go to United, only to revert back to his usual sh*t performances. I wouldn't take him for free

Not a huge fan of him myself but you clearly don't watch German football.

In his first season with them he was included in the bundusliga team of the season scoring double figures and as many assists. Second season was a bit meh due to niggling injuries although he scored the goals to beat bayern in the cup iirc. His final season with them he was player of the year. Hardly a one season wonder.....

16 hours ago, BordeauxBlue said:

Opinions?

Sorry but no. He's like a poor man's Mesut Ozil. Disappears in games but pops up with an assist/goal every now and then. We really can't afford carrying people like that in this team.

Would rather take a punt on Ozil if Mkhitarian(sp?) is the alternative.

On 12/15/2017 at 19:26, Argo said:

It might have something to do with getting what you deserved. Mata was benched without been given a chance. Hazard and somehow oscar (of all people) were nailed on starters. He had to rotate with schurrle and Willian for a spot. I think the fact that despite the previous performances and being the best player in the club for 2 years, he was just shafted on the bench.

Also, the few opportunities he was given thru the center, he was immense (spurs and Arsenal in league cup), and yet Jose started him on the rw against probably the best PL left wing duo at that time (lallana-shaw). If any game called for a hard working winger, it was that and yet mata was selected and expectedly failed. Even at that moment, it felt as if it was a wicked move by Jose.

Zaha would be an interesting prospect. On the positive side, he's one of the fews who has the ability and confidence to run into defenders, and winning the duels . The last few times he played against us, he scared the sh* out of the rock solid defenders, and he has done that against every teams in the league. The obvious negative is he will be the small fish in big pond, probably won't have that much freedom to be the star man, which may discourage him. I'd take a punt on him if we let Batsman go, he will be part of the 3 men attack and may even play as the false 9 or striker.

11 hours ago, Zeta said:

Think he's better suited at a smaller club, he looked good before but flopped massively at Man utd.

i think wilf has improved significantly since his manu days...

he may be a good signing for us.. well we know our board wont go for better options like alexis anyway..

On December 17, 2017 at 03:35, didierforever said:

It might have something to do with getting what you deserved. Mata was benched without been given a chance. Hazard and somehow oscar (of all people) were nailed on starters. He had to rotate with schurrle and Willian for a spot. I think the fact that despite the previous performances and being the best player in the club for 2 years, he was just shafted on the bench.

Also, the few opportunities he was given thru the center, he was immense (spurs and Arsenal in league cup), and yet Jose started him on the rw against probably the best PL left wing duo at that time (lallana-shaw). If any game called for a hard working winger, it was that and yet mata was selected and expectedly failed. Even at that moment, it felt as if it was a wicked move by Jose.

You can argue Lingard doesn't "deserve" more game time than him now but he's not acting up on the bench or rage quitting. And it's not like he was on fire when Jose turned up, he fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the Benitez season and it was Hazard, not him, that made sure Jose had CL footy to return too. The ironic thing is, United fans are critical of his end product these days, and his thread on Red Cafe has alarming simularities to Oscar threads on Chelsea forums.

On December 17, 2017 at 08:30, Spiller86 said:

Agree with the comments. Mata's sale was a lowpoint of Jose's second reign. I acknowledge that it partly funded Costa and Fabregas, but he was still our best player and was just frozen out for Oscar who was pants. Never felt right watching him play for United.  

Hazard was on another planet to Mata.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

You can argue Lingard doesn't "deserve" more game time than him now but he's not acting up on the bench or rage quitting. And it's not like he was on fire when Jose turned up, he fell off a cliff in the 2nd half of the Benitez season and it was Hazard, not him, that made sure Jose had CL footy to return too. The ironic thing is, United fans are critical of his end product these days, and his thread on Red Cafe has alarming simularities to Oscar threads on Chelsea forums.

I think the PL has changed drastically since 2011 (when Mata came here). Its much faster than what it was. The pace of the game has increased drastically, rendering people like Ozil, Mata as liabilities. Aspects like closing down the opponents have become VITAL. All of this my opinion, and I mught be wrong, but I feel the game has changed.

Anyways, Hazard was a world class potential when bought. He had an average first half 2012-13, a great 2nd half of the season. Similarly, oscar had a great first half of 2012-13, and a sh*t second half. Mata was quite consistently good in the season and definitely deserved his POTY. 

As for United, I honestly cant comment as I dont watch them that often. But the games, i have watched, it seems Mata is definitely struggling with the pace of the game.

9 hours ago, Argo said:

I feel with Mata he does not often get played in the central role at Man U, that is where he plays is best IMO and also scores. Often he is playing as a wide midfielder.

On 18/12/2017 at 12:27, steg0069 said:

Any truth in the Zaha rumour?  I think he would be an excellent addition to the squad.

I hope so. He does a lot of what I hope Willian would do.

If we get a 2nd striker, Zaha or a WC RW and a WC or near WC LB then it'd be a good Jan window imo.