Time to start worrying???

Jamjar1986

Liverpool signing 75million pound players adding to salah mane etc, man city spending anything they want, arsenal in for malcolm and aubameyang, utd in for sanchez, we are in for barkley and andy carrol with conte probably leaving, we could easily rapidly start falling behind. Worst thing for me is that it was so obvious and totally avoidable.

Why are our board so terrible when it comes to transfers,

Look there is no denying that our transfer activity in the past 3 seasons has been bad. We haven't really had a good window since the Fabregas-Costa window which was a fantastic window, we off-loaded all of our deadwood & ageing players like Lampard, Cole & Torres, and in return we wrapped our transfer deals up really early, we already had a full pre-season with Fabregas, Luis & Costa. 

And since then we've been up and down in the market, we blew 80 million pounds on Drinkwater & Bakayoko, but we signed Kante for an absolute bargain. But overall I would say it's been poor, unfortunately, we haven't upgraded. 

However, you're being very pessimistic. Just to start with you're assuming that even if Conte does leave at the end of the season we're going to sit still and do nothing after it? And suddenly Arsenal are something to be feared because they MIGHT sign two players (which probably won't happen) while they're losing two key players. And yes admittedly I strongly dislike how City & United are thumping us in the market lately and I know it's going to catch up with the team one of these days. That's purely because I know there is a big possibility that they'll have a complete hegemony over all the top talent in the PL. We have to break that two team league possibility, we need to get this stadium sorted ASAP.

But there are plenty of positives, Hazard & Courtois look like they're staying and that's brilliant news. We still have a very good side and on paper, I think we match United in quality, we just desperately need to get that Matic replacement sorted out in the summer. 

12 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Not worried. Am expecting a 5th place finish to be fair not exactly worried if we finish lower and miss out on the Europa so...

5th place would be an absolute tragedy.
We can't keep up with Liverpool, City and United while being in the CL. Can you imagine what will happen if we aren't even in the competition?

Hello Andros Townsend and Andy Carroll. Because that'd be the shelf we'd end up buying from.
To be fair we did that last summer as well when we picked up Zappacosta, Bakayoko and Drinkwater, not that it makes it any easier to take.

1 minute ago, Jamjar1986 said:

How is it possible to spend £200million and still need an overhaul, its ridiculous

Because we spent £100 million of them on Zappacosta, Drinkwater and Bakayoko.

Mindblowingly poor use of funds.

Zappacosta isn't necessarily a bad player, he's actually a good squad player, he has legs and likes to get forward. Do you think Kyle Walker is a very good RWB? No, but he's good at doing a certain job despite being a very limited player. 

Drinkwater again is a good squad player, yes we've overspent on him definitely but he adds experience to the side, he's won the league and he's comfortable on the ball, I think people are far too harsh on him. Drinkwater is actually a lot better to what I expected from him, I always thought he was average but he's been pretty good whenever he's played except for the Arsenal match. 

So really what we are looking for is a very good midfielder to play alongside Kante. I was looking at the Arsenal team today and I laughed, not just at the fact that we couldn’t beat them but I can’t think of one player who would get into our first 11, but then it dawned on me that Wilshere and I dare say it Xhaka are better than our spare midfielder options next to Kante. That’s the massive weak-link in the team here, we have nobody good enough to fill that role and it’s really daunting. 

So...

- A midfielder who is very good on the ball to play alongside Kante 

- Good striker to rotate with Morata and give him competition

- Left wing back to compete with Alonso

That's 3 signings we need, it really isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. 

If we carry on signing the likes of Bakayoko, then yes. Need some world class talent at this club before we turn into Arsenal where coming 4th is a good season. Top 4 won't be a problem, imo. We are sh*te at the moment but are still hard to beat. It's maybe a case of just picking up points and letting the rest f**k it up, which is usually what happens. Huge off season coming up at Chelsea which will go a long way to deciding our future. 

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Zappacosta isn't necessarily a bad player, he's actually a good squad player, he has legs and likes to get forward. Do you think Kyle Walker is a very good RWB? No, but he's good at doing a certain job despite being a very limited player. 

Drinkwater again is a good squad player, yes we've overspent on him definitely but he adds experience to the side, he's won the league and he's comfortable on the ball, I think people are far too harsh on him. Drinkwater is actually a lot better to what I expected from him, I always thought he was average but he's been pretty good whenever he's played except for the Arsenal match. 

So really what we are looking for is a very good midfielder to play alongside Kante. I was looking at the Arsenal team today and I laughed, not just at the fact that we couldn’t beat them but I can’t think of one player who would get into our first 11, but then it dawned on me that Wilshere and I dare say it Xhaka are better than our spare midfielder options next to Kante. That’s the massive weak-link in the team here, we have nobody good enough to fill that role and it’s really daunting. 

So...

- A midfielder who is very good on the ball to play alongside Kante 

- Good striker to rotate with Morata and give him competition

- Left wing back to compete with Alonso

That's 3 signings we need, it really isn't as bad as what people are making it out to be. 

To play with with backs you need very good wingbacks, Walker is at least very good, different level to Moses and Zappa. Alonso actually doesn't do the things you would expect from a wingback, rarely crosses or runs at defenders but he has other advantages. RWB has to be upgraded if your looking to fight with the best consistently. 

I would say a LWB, RWB, CM and at least one attacking player who's a level above Willian and Pedro. Willian has had his time at Chelsea and they need to buy someone who will improve the first team. So 3 players to improve the first term and its obvious another LWB is needed. Another striker unless the new manager rates Batman. 

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

To play with with backs you need very good wingbacks, Walker is at least very good, different level to Moses and Zappa. Alonso actually doesn't do the things you would expect from a wingback, rarely crosses or runs at defenders but he has other advantages. RWB has to be upgraded if your looking to fight with the best consistently. 

I would say a LWB, RWB, CM and at least one attacking player who's a level above Willian and Pedro. Willian has had his time at Chelsea and they need to buy someone who will improve the first team. So 3 players to improve the first term and its obvious another LWB is needed. Another striker unless the new manager rates Batman. 

I don't think Kyle Walker is a better fullback than Moses at all. Kyle Walker has a simple job at City, I'm not sure if you watched the match today but he got exposed when under pressure, he gave the ball away plenty of times, he's in that City team for his pace & experience alone. 

Moses overall is the better player, he has better delivery, trickery and link-up play. If you're saying Walker is seriously a different level to Zappa & Moses then you haven't been watching him, you've most likely just watched City highlights on MOTD. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

I don't think Kyle Walker is a better fullback than Moses at all. Kyle Walker has a simple job at City, I'm not sure if you watched the match today but he got exposed when under pressure, he gave the ball away plenty of times, he's in that City team for his pace & experience alone. 

Moses overall is the better player, he has better delivery, trickery and link-up play. If you're saying Walker is seriously a different level to Zappa & Moses then you haven't been watching him, you've most likely just watched City highlights on MOTD. 

No need for that and coming across as a prick, I missed today's game but have watched plenty of City. That is a major statement to say Moses is a better player than Walker and Zappa is on the same level :laugh2:, one I feel you will only find a Chelsea fan saying. Moses is playing awful this year, his delivery is not good and what you are saying i have seen nothing from Moses. If it wasn't for Dave hardly anything would happen on the right side. There was one funny moment with Moses against Arsenal midweek where he had no awareness and just kept running like a headless chicken and you can see he was going to be tackled. To be consistently going for titles and the champions league you need better than Moses at RWB.

seems to be a cloud of negativity hanging over chelsea at the moment, and i am wondering where it has come from. How can a title winning team go to this? i will be amazed if a decent signing is made this window and i am worried that this whole drop in form stems from contes unhappiness. I think it is worrying 

Just now, Ernie_blue said:

No need for that and coming across as a prick, I missed today's game but have watched plenty of City. That is a major statement to say Moses is a better player than Walker and Zappa is on the same level :laugh2:, one I feel you will only find a Chelsea fan saying. Moses is playing awful this year, his delivery is not good and what you are saying i have seen nothing from Moses. If it wasn't for Dave hardly anything would happen on the right side. There was one funny moment with Moses against Arsenal midweek where he had no awareness and just kept running like a headless chicken and you can see he was going to be tackled. To be consistently going for titles and the champions league you need better than Moses at RWB.

How did I come across a prick? I never even insulted you, you've got the wrong end of the stick there. 

Moses hasn't been awful at all, yeah sure he's been wasteful but awful? Come off it, people are far too critical of Moses & Alonso when they're both very good players and put in a good performance week in week out. And I know plenty of rival fans who rate Moses & Alonso, but that's irrelevant anyway. 

And if I remember correctly we won the title with Moses at RWB, so I'm not sure how that's a good point, and that was with Moses playing very well. Honestly name me some right wing backs who are better than Moses in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, Slojo said:

How did I come across a prick? I never even insulted you, you've got the wrong end of the stick there. 

Moses hasn't been awful at all, yeah sure he's been wasteful but awful? Come off it, people are far too critical of Moses & Alonso when they're both very good players and put in a good performance week in week out. And I know plenty of rival fans who rate Moses & Alonso, but that's irrelevant anyway. 

And if I remember correctly we won the title with Moses at RWB, so I'm not sure how that's a good point, and that was with Moses playing very well. Honestly name me some right wing backs who are better than Moses in the Premier League. 

To make out i am some plastic fan who judges players/teams from a 2min highlights real on MOTD is insulting to me. 

For me Tripper, Aurier, Danilo, Bellerin, Walker, Valencia, Coleman, Dave, Clyne when he gets back from injury. There would be more from Europe aswell and probably ones i have never heard off. Leicester won the title with Simpson at RB but i still don't rate him that highly.

Next 4 PL games become crucial for us.

I believe we can win v Brighton, West Brom, Bournemouth and Watford.

Meanwhile Spurs will face Southampton, United, Arsenal and Liverpool.

It's crucial with these fixtures to develop some breathing space over them. If we fail to I will start to get worried.

Just now, Ernie_blue said:

To make out i am some plastic fan who judges players/teams from a 2min highlights real on MOTD is insulting to me. 

For me Tripper, Aurier, Danilo, Bellerin, Walker, Valencia, Coleman, Dave, Clyne when he gets back from injury. There would be more from Europe aswell and probably ones i have never heard off. Leicester won the title with Simpson at RB but i still don't rate him that highly.

Going back over it I'll admit it could be interpreted that way, apologies for that then Ernie, wasn't being malicious or anything.

Zabaleta was a fantastic RB who was a decent defender and could actually play football, Kyle Walker however is not in the same degree of Zabaleta but he plays in a much better team than Zabaleta ever did for City. Don't forget City have been playing with Otamendi, Stones & Mangala who were mediocre defenders last season yet this season they haven't made many mistakes because teams aren't pressuring them. 

But for Kyle Walker he wasn't signed to be a good defender, it's his pace which is lethal, it was lethal at Spurs, other than that he's not a good player. And for me not better than Moses, I don't think I'm being biased here either, I'm fine at the prospect of other players being better than ours. 

Aurier is underrated, Valencia last season yes this season no he's getting past it now. Azpi at RWB is not better than Moses, we saw Azpi at RWB against Roma and it went horribly. Clyne is a good player but I'm not so sure, he hasn't delivered like Moses did last season consistently. Bellerin? Come on... He's nothing but pace, his delivery is shocking any Arsenal fan will tell you they don't rate Bellerin. Coleman was a good player for years I'm not so sure now I don't watch Everton. And Trippier is very average. 

But basically you're suggesting that there are 9 RWB who are better than Moses in the league, do you seriously believe that's realistic? I don't think it's even feasible to render that thought, Moses has delivered at the big stage and he's proven to be a good player. I think you're highly underrating him if you truly believe all those wingbacks are better than him. 

2 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Going back over it I'll admit it could be interpreted that way, apologies for that then Ernie, wasn't being malicious or anything.

Zabaleta was a fantastic RB who was a decent defender and could actually play football, Kyle Walker however is not in the same degree of Zabaleta but he plays in a much better team than Zabaleta ever did for City. Don't forget City have been playing with Otamendi, Stones & Mangala who were mediocre defenders last season yet this season they haven't made many mistakes because teams aren't pressuring them. 

But for Kyle Walker he wasn't signed to be a good defender, it's his pace which is lethal, it was lethal at Spurs, other than that he's not a good player. And for me not better than Moses, I don't think I'm being biased here either, I'm fine at the prospect of other players being better than ours. 

Aurier is underrated, Valencia last season yes this season no he's getting past it now. Azpi at RWB is not better than Moses, we saw Azpi at RWB against Roma and it went horribly. Clyne is a good player but I'm not so sure, he hasn't delivered like Moses did last season consistently. Bellerin? Come on... He's nothing but pace, his delivery is shocking any Arsenal fan will tell you they don't rate Bellerin. Coleman was a good player for years I'm not so sure now I don't watch Everton. And Trippier is very average. 

But basically you're suggesting that there are 9 RWB who are better than Moses in the league, do you seriously believe that's realistic? I don't think it's even feasible to render that thought, Moses has delivered at the big stage and he's proven to be a good player. I think you're highly underrating him if you truly believe all those wingbacks are better than him. 

I apologise for the way i spoke, it was out of order, it was an angry outburst. I did feel you was saying my view of Walker is not relevant because i have only watched City on MOTD, tbh i hardly watch MOTD these days, find it boring.

Coleman has been injured for a while, i think it was a double leg fracture playing for Ireland, im sure his due back soon. Good luck to the lad because I do rate Coleman, with Walker's price and it being the premier league i reckon you could be talking 40m plus. Clyne has also been injured for quite a while.

Moses was very good last season but i still believe we require an upgrade in that area, IMO his level has dropped quite a bit this year. Danilo was the one for me and he could also play RB in a back 4 if needed. I know anyone would find it extremely harsh to have a fault with Alonso but when i watch him he hardly crosses in the match and he cant run at defenders because my nan is quicker, im not asking for a replacement but maybe he could change his game a little and an extra LWB with pace would give the team another option.

Archived